What's new

5.1 analog vs optical audio on next-gen players? (1 Viewer)

Joe Pick

Stunt Coordinator
I'm thinking of getting a new HD DVD or BluRay player, and I currently have an Onkyo AVR that does not have HDMI. I plan to connect the player to my Panasonic plasma using HDMI for the video, and using either 5.1 analog or digital optical to my Onkyo for the audio. Which route would sound "best"? I currently use an Oppo player the same way described above, using optical to the AVR and it sounds great. I've never used 5.1 analog with any source, and have always thought that digital is best. What do you think?

john a hunter

Screenwriter
You should have no problem at all. It's the way I connect my XA1 to my Sony SXRD.You may want to check however, how much flexibility the player gives you in setting levels,etc.The Tosh xa1 is perfect,but my Sammy 1200 gives no control over seperale levels for each channel nor any time delay.

Joe Pick

Stunt Coordinator

Thanks John, but "no problem at all" which way? Digital optical or 5.1 analog?

Kevin C Brown

Senior HTF Member
Optical (or coax either) won't transfer high res movie soundtracks. HDMI will, and of course, 5.1 analog will. Optical will only get you 2 channel 16/44.1 PCM for CDs, and multichannel DD and DTS, but not the new higher res DTS or DD formats from Blu-ray or HD DVD.

Joe Pick

Stunt Coordinator

So the 5.1 analog option would sound better? What would my AVR process it as? If the hi-def player can decode the new formats, and I connect using analog, what happens in my receiver? Thanks!

john a hunter

Screenwriter
Your receiver,Joe,will just accept the 5.1 analog outputs from the player and usually does not do any processing of those signals apart from giving you control over the volume level.All the decoding is done in the player.Trust this helps.

Kevin C Brown

Senior HTF Member
Be careful. :) In the strictest sense, 5.1 analog will get you the best audio quality, but keep these things in mind:

Can the receiver do an A to D, then process the signals, then back to analog for output? (Some can, most don't.)

The reason being, if you only do 5.1 analog, you then have to make sure the player can do levels and distance compensation. And then forget about any sound field customization (THX processing, re eq, DPL IIx, etc) depending on the capability of the player.

You might want to do the actual comparison between the 5.1 analog signal and straight DD (or DTS), because you just might find that there isn't that much difference. But the flexibility of getting the signal digitally to the receiver is a big bonus.

brap

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Alisdair Edwards
The analog is good, but most receivers only come with one set. I myself will either have to buy a switcher (HQ 5.1 analog switcher are expensive), wait for a high def disc/sacd/dvd-audio player combo (not likely), or give up my sacds (you'll have to pry Dark Side of the Moon from my cold dead hands :angry:).
In the end it may be worth it to spring for an HDMI receiver. They are getting better in price.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks