What's new

4ES Discontinued (1 Viewer)

Angelo.M

Senior HTF Member
Wow, less than a year after it debuts the 4ES is already being discontinued, according to my reliable mom/pop AV store. Went there yesterday to look into purchasing a 2nd 4ES, and they have none left and aren't expecting anymore.

Get one while they last.

Alex Dydula

Stunt Coordinator
Angelo,

I have a DA4Es, for the bucks its been a fine receiver, and still is.

Why are you looking for another??? Is it that good to you??

Rex Carson!?!?!
(SMILE!!)...

Just got done listening to LARS ERSTRAND and four brothers. (cd-9402)AWESOME....

I am listening to them via the Da4ES and a pair od Dahlqusit QX10's ...oh does the bass sound sooo good...and the vibes......absolutely wonderful.

Alex

EDIT: Does anyone know what SONY is up to for a replacement in this ES line of receivers???

Angelo.M

Senior HTF Member
I'm looking for another one for my office. My favorite AV store sold all of theirs and, like I said, they don't expect anymore. They told me they had no info on the replacement. I know in another thread folks were talking about Sony's digital amps debuting in the European market. Will be interesting to see what happens here.

Of course, I know I can still get one from J&R, Crutchfield, and a number of other sources. Just trying to stay loyal to my favorite B&M.

Mike Up

Supporting Actor
A while ago there was a press release of Sony's new receivers. I had it but my computer crashed and I lost everything.:angry: Anyhow, they were all "DIGITAL" Amplifier receivers. To me, this is a bad thing.

I haven't read a single good review on digital amp sound. In fact, some negative ones. It would had been a smart move for Sony to test this new technology on their standard DE line instead of their ES line. I talked to one salesman about the Panasonic digital amp and he said it doesn't sound nearly as good as traditional analog amplifiers.

In the future, the technology should be competitive or even better than analog but there's always growing pains with new technologies.

Have a good one.

Angelo.M

Senior HTF Member
I also think digital amps are a long way from being a mature technology. It will be interesting to see what the successor to the 4ES brings to the table.

Tekara

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Robert
heh, man, sony has been nixing recievers all over the place. my 5es was discontinued along with the 3es for the 1,2,4, and 7 es recievers. makes me wonder whats going on.

Angelo.M

Senior HTF Member
Found some info...

The new Sony ES receivers are the 1000ES, 2000ES, 3000ES, 5000ES and 9000ES. They all use digital amplification, and I think they are all 7-channel receivers. The 1000ES will debut in June and the others in the Fall.

Check out specs here (3000ES): http://www.avland.co.uk/sony/strda3000/

Greg Schwabacher

Stunt Coordinator
I love my DA4, and I'm surprised to see it go the way of the dodo so quickly! I wouldn't fret if something better were around the bend, but the digital amp sections in the upcoming receivers leave a lot of questions unanswered. Man, and Sony killed off their wonderful ES MD recorders too...it's a shame. Glad I got 'em while they were available! Now, if they would hurry up and release an ES-line multichannel CD/SACD megachanger (to replace my trusty CX333ES), all will be forgiven!

Ouch! Str DA900ES and the new ES series are pretty ugly. Easily beats Denon in that regards. I guess it is the Pontiac Aztek of the receivers. I ll keep my 4ES. Very surprising coming from Sony.

Albert Damico

Stunt Coordinator
Mike:

I believe the dissapearance of Rex was due to his being banned from AVS. Don't know if its permanant, but I noticed that he is posting again, but under a new name, and he is trying to be more careful about what he says. He is also staying away from any and all threads that list the Sony. But this is just my opinion.

Angelo.M

Senior HTF Member
Got some more info...

Apparently, not all of the new receivers will have all-digital amplification. The 1000ES will not and the 2000ES will not. I'm assuming all of the others will. Next, from what I've heard, the units will only be available in silver in the U.S.

Also, there are some great prices on the current units at the moment. It's quite easy to find the 4ES under $650.

Greg Schwabacher

Stunt Coordinator
the units will only be available in silver in the U.S.
Boy, I sure hope that's not true. However, I do remember that when the 'DA3ES and 'DA5ES first came out, the pictures of them that were released on Sony's website were silver, so the speculation was the same then, too. I guess we'll just have to wait and see.
FWIW, AVLand's website claims that the 2000 will have a digital amp. :confused: I know that they show the 2000 as a QS model, but if recent history is any indication, Europe's QS models will be the U.S.'s ES models.

Angelo.M

Senior HTF Member
Greg: I spoke w/ the folks at Oade Bros. who indicated that the new ES series would be in silver, according to what was said at a recent trade show in a PowerPoint presentation by a Sony rep. In fact, the pictures I have seen have shown the units in black. Who knows? As far as the amplification in the 2000ES, that's also a mystery. But the Oade folks seemed certain that, at least, the 1000ES does NOT use digital amplification.

Greg Schwabacher

Stunt Coordinator
Angelo, I wasn't trying to discount or disprove what you said. I just hope it's not true. :) Anyway, if there's anyone I'd believe, it'd be the folks at Oade Bros...I order all my Sony ES stuff from them! Let's just hope that since we've at least seen pictures of the new stuff in black that it'll be available in black.

Aw, what do I care? It's not like I'm going to upgrade soon anyway!

Greg Schwabacher

Stunt Coordinator
The more I read the specs of the new receivers over at AVLand, the more I wonder what these new receivers bring to the table other than digital amplification (which is questionable at this point). Certainly it doesn't appear as though the new receivers will have any new features over the 'DA1/2/4/7ES's that they replace. I guess now might be the time to snatch up a 'DA4ES if you think that digital amplification's time hasn't come!

Craig_Kg

Supporting Actor
The big thing seems to be the direct SACD decoding by the amp stages avoiding intermediate decoding but only the top end SACD player supports it.

Note the lack of preouts with these beasties...

AaronBatiuk

Second Unit
The big thing seems to be the direct SACD decoding by the amp stages avoiding intermediate decoding but only the top end SACD player supports it.
And only the top-end TA-DA9000ES receiver supports it. The others do not have the required i.Link (IEEE1394, FireWire) input connector.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks