What's new

4 Tv sets, which one to get? (1 Viewer)

Keith_R

Screenwriter
Real Name
Kyle
Hey all, gather around and hear my sad tale:). I've been out of the loop on new DVD releases as of late because of vacation and a general disinterest in most of the releases that have been coming out as of late. The last DVD I got was Rescue Me: Season One.

I went on tonight though looking to preorder Nip/Tuck: Season 2 and discovered that not only is there Nip/Tuck but there is also Lost coming soon, The O.C.: Season 2 already out, and The Job. I have a $15 gift certificate to Target and am planning to use it towards a DVD but now I'm stuck on which one to get. I would love to get all of these titles but can't because of financial constraints and the desire to keep shelf space to a minimum and not overtake my DVD collection with Tv titles. I prefer to buy Tv titles that I'm a die-hard fan of and not overtake my collection with Tv, I really like a balance between Tv and movies.

Anyways I'm stuck and need some input on which Tv DVD I should get. The way I'm breaking it down in my head is this:

Nip/Tuck- I really like this show and own the first DVD set, I have the second season archived on my TiVo already but can't keep it there forever and need to make room to archive the upcoming third season. I have the other FX Original shows on DVD and have collected every season set for them so I should follow the same with Nip/Tuck.

Lost- I love this show and think it was the best show on the big 4 last Fall. I hear the extras on this set are going to be real good so that has me tempted, however, I saw this first season on it's original run start to finish and know the plot points and spoilers already which kind of takes the mystery out of the show, the mystery is what makes it such a great show.

The O.C.- This is a guilty pleasure, it is one of my favorites though and I kept up with it from start to finish all last Fall when it was on. I own the first season set and thought it was a good DVD release so I know I'll probably like this one.

The Job- This is the only wildcard, I've never seen it so it would be a blind buy. I love Rescue Me though and have been told that this is slightly better so I think I'd probably like it.

What does everyone think? what Tv DVD should I get right now? These are all some of my favorite shows so it is a very hard choice. Sorry for the long post but I need help deciding. Thanks!

SteveVM

Stunt Coordinator
I'd also pick Lost.
Wow what a new and original show.
Normally the extras don't interest me but...
I can't wait for Lost's extras

Amy Mormino

Supporting Actor
I personally would say Lost. However, your love for Rescue Me (and presumably Denis Leary's comedy style) strongly suggests that you would like The Job as well. Pick that up after Lost.

Elizabeth S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Elizabeth S
The Job

I love this show and it has great replay value. As much as I love "Lost", I haven't felt the urge to re-watch it (though I have all the episodes on DVD-R), and the episodes are less stand-alone for re-viewing.

I'm in a similar situation with "Nip/Tuck" -- I have all of Season 2 on my DVD recorder hard drive from the FX marathon; however, I really enjoyed the deleted scenes from Season 1 so am pondering if I should just buy Season 2.

Joseph DeMartino

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joseph DeMartino
The Job. The other shows are going to be rerun and/or available on DVD for some time. The Job is never going to air again and because it is an obscure show that has developed a kind of cult following mostly by word of mouth it may go out of print and stay that way once the initial DVD run sells out. It is also screamingly funny. I can't wait to get my set back from my parents (who are also huge Rescue Me fans) so I can watch it again.

Just my two cents.

Regards,

Joe

Josh_HI

Second Unit
It is a hard choice between Lost and OC. If I had to choose I'd pick up The OC season 2 on tuesday. And who knows maybe in 2 weeks (when Lost comes out) who'll have enough for Lost also.I plan on buying both Lost and OC.:emoji_thumbsup:

RyanAn

Screenwriter
I would go:

Lost

then

Job

then

O.C.

then Nip/Tuck.

Ofcourse I have seen a lot more of O.C. and Lost than the other two.

Ryan

Jonny P

Supporting Actor
Hmmm...interesting conundrum.

Personally, I am debating purchasing "Lost" now. I love the show and as I watched it last season I thought how perfect it'd be for DVD.

However, I have trouble re-watching a lot of the more "serious" hour long dramas on DVD. Lighter fare -- like comedies -- tend to get rotated more frequently.

I am considering cutting back on hour longs and focusing on the 1/2 hour sitcoms that I enjoy.

"The Job" was a good show. It has all of the Dennis Leary cynicism you are used to.

Personally, I think the season sets of the "O.C." would be a lot of fun, too. Just simply as guilty pleasure TV!

Keith_R

Screenwriter
Real Name
Kyle
Wow! it seems to be a pretty overwhelming majority for Lost here. I wasn't expecting that, in fact I'm surprised that more people haven't said Nip/Tuck.

A few of you have made a very good point about The Job never being rerun and the DVD's eventually going OOP so that kind of makes me lean towards this show a little bit. However, as I said above this would be a blind purchase which has me a little weary to buy it even though I really enjoy Rescue Me.

I can probably take The O.C. out of the mix and save that for later on, I've seen the second season during it's original run and even saw a couple of the reruns over the Summer so this title probably isn't a big rush, it is a really fun show though.

Nip/Tuck is still on the table, but I may be able to hold off on this for a bit because of the fact I already have the second season archived in it's entireity on my main TiVo. I do plan on getting this title it's just a question of buy now or wait?

that basically narrows it down between Lost and The Job. Lost looks like it's going to have a really good release (the fact I'll finally be able to see it in 5.1 makes me tempted) but I also hear nothing but good about The Job. I really like Denis Leary and Rescue Me but I'm just nervous about a blind purchase.

I may have to try and swing buying both to get complete satisfaction.:)

Joseph DeMartino

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joseph DeMartino
I'm a huge Rescue Me fan, but had never seen a frame of The Job. I didn't know that Leary had done a previous series until people began mentioning it in RM threads. I bought it blind, and I love it. If you like the humor of RM, plus the real sense of life on the streets of NY - well, The Job is Leary's half-hour sitcom-with-a-dramatic-edge take on life in the NYPD. In addition to Leary himself, The Job features RM actors like Lenny Clarke and Diane Farr in recurring or regular roles, along with some other terrific character actors. (Diane "Laura" Farr is hysterical on the show, as is Lenny "Uncle Teddy" Clarke as the world's laziest cop.) The series was created and largely written by Leary with RM co-creator Peter Tolan. I really can't image anyone who enjoys RM not liking The Job almost as much, if not more.

Regards,

Joe

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks