What's new
World Wide Stereo

4 receivers, your opinions please (1 Viewer)

t-dog

Auditioning
Real Name
Tyler
I think I've narrowed my choices to the following 4 receivers. Please give me your recommendations and if there is a receiver I should be considering in the price range these receivers are in. Also any recommendations on a reputable online retailer to purchase the receiver from?

Thanks!

Pioneer VSX-84TXSi

Yamaha RX-V1700

AVR-3806

Yamaha RX-V2600

728x90

cctyu

Agent
Real Name
Charles Yu
The Denon was my choice for a 7.1 HDMI Home Theater Receiver before I visited two stores whose salesmen both recommended the Pioneer Elite. Now, like yourself I am at a lost! I never considered the Yamahas since I find the sound too 'metallic' and unnatural. One thing to consider too. Aparently the Pioneer has a rare three year warranty. An indication that their products are top-notched?! Have you also considered the new Marantz? I eliminated them because their HDMI only up-convert to components. However, I was told they have the best sound. Time permits, I might go to one of the store tomorrow for an A/B (Pioneer vs Denon) comparison demo.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Buy one of those that can pass the 1080p signal. The Yamaha-2600 can't (1080i) which I own, but I have the VP50 video processor so it doesn't matter to me in my setup.

t-dog

Auditioning
Real Name
Tyler
Can any of the current receivers in the 800-$1400 range pass 1080P? I was under the impression that they would pass 480p, 720p or 1080i.

cctyu

Agent
Real Name
Charles Yu
According to the salesman, both Pioneer and Denon claims they can. How successful? Who knows?!

SASmith

Auditioning
I'm looking at the Denon as well. I've been reading that it may not process up to 1080i. Please, any experienced owners chime in!

cctyu

Agent
Real Name
Charles Yu
Today, I received confirmation from both the salesman in my local Hi-Fi store as well as an administrator from avforum.com that the Denons indeed have intermittent problem doing full 1080i/p up-conversion. On the other hand, the Pioneers can perform full 1080p HDMI with ease. Furthermore, after doing some comparative audition of both the Pioneer and the Denons, I've come to the conclusion that there is no discernable difference in sound quality between the two. Consequently, my final decision is to get the Pioneer Elite VSX-82TXS. Hopefully, together with the new Oppo 981 HD DVD and the 52" Sharp Aquos 1080p LCD, I'm going to have myself a system that's going to last for years?!! Good luck to you!!

SASmith

Auditioning
Just so I understand this. If the Denon has "intermittent" trouble with doing full 1080i/p, does this mean that the image will resemble normal non HD? If a signal from a HDMI DVD player was run through a Denon reciever will the image quality suffer because of this? Or because it's a signal coming from the DVD player and doesn't need to be converted the image will look fine? And what does "intermittent" mean?

thanks

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ChiChi0010
Recent bookmarks