What's new

4 FRANK SINATRA COLLECTIONS FROM WB (1 Viewer)

RafaelPires

Supporting Actor
The official Frank Sinatra web site is listing 4 upcoming collections dedicated to the old blue eyes by Warner for a May 13th release.

FrankSinatra.Com - Video

Here are the titles:
Frank Sinartra - The Early Years
Double Dynamite (new to DVD)
It Happened in Brooklyn (new to DVD)
Step LIvely (new to DVD)
Higher and Higher (new to DVD)
The Kissing Bandit (new to DVD)

Frank Sinatra - The Golden Years
None But the Brave (new to DVD)
The Man wit the Golden Arm (new to DVD)
Some Came Running (new to DVD)
The Tender Trap (new to DVD)
Marriage on the Rocks (new to DVD)

Frank Sinatra & Gene Kelly
Take Me Out to the Ball Game (newly repackaged)
On the Town (newly repackaged)
Anchor's Aweigh (newly repackaged)

Frank Sinatra - Rat Pack Collection
Ocean's Eleven (newly repackaged)
Sergeant's 3 (never before on DVD!)
4 For Texas (newly repackaged)
Robin and the Seven Hoods (newly repackaged)

There are plenty of titles for Mr. Blue Eyes fans.

There are also tons of extras, and in the Sinatra/Kelly box ser one of the extras is the muck antecipated "When The Lion Roars" documentary.

MarcoBiscotti

Senior HTF Member
Finally... The Man With The Golden Arm!!!

Are the other films in The Golden Years box just as good?

I think I've seen Marriage On The Rocks and The Tender Trap before but I don't remember anything about them...

What about The Early Years set? Is it just for fanatics of ol' blue eyes or are these good films in their own right?

John Hodson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
'None But The Brave' has Sinatra in the director's chair and it's a very creditable effort, but Minnelli's 'Some Came Running' is the pick of the bunch here IMHO. Fantastic film.

The films in 'The Early Years' set are good fun; I don't think anyone could be disappointed.

ted:r

Second Unit
"The Man With The Golden Arm" has been released before on DVD. Not sure which company, may have been a PD.

The only one here I'm really interested in that I don't already own is "Some Came Running" Hopefully it'll be released independent of the box.

Edit: My copy is from some company called "Passport Video", whoever they may be.

Charles H

Screenwriter
Would that Paramount would liberate ASSAULT ON THE QUEEN, COME BLOW YOUR HORN, and particularly THE JOKER IS WILD (with cleared song rights and an audio commentary from Mitzi Gaynor) from their vaults. SERGEANTS THREE must be a special deal since it is owned by MGM (aka UA), which should also release JOHNNY CONCHO, NOT AS A STRANGER, and a non-pd dvd of SUDDENLY. Universal owns MEET DANNY WILSON ---essential Sinatra--LAS VEGAS NIGHTS, and THE LIST OF ADRIAN MESSENGER (cameo). I am surprised that WB is not releasing THE NAKED RUNNER (and SHIP AHOY would make a terrific bonus feature for a hopefully compleat slimline collection!). All that said, this and rocksrules! Despite the near-catastrophic contents of THE KISSING BANDIT, it is a gorgeous looking film.

seanOhara

Supporting Actor

I thought Warners had promised to stop bundling new DVDs with previously released films? I already own the original Rat Pack Collection, which includes everything but Sergeants 3.

Thomas T

Senior HTF Member
Terrific news! I've been wanting Some Came Running (one of the great films of the 50s decade) and Tender Trap since the inception of the DVD format! The first two sets are definite buys and I might double dip for the last two sets if the covers are interesting as an excuse to get rid of those awful snapper cases.

RafaelPires

Supporting Actor
Thomas, the cover art for these titles are already available at the site I mentioned above.
You only have to select each box set and then click in the link "all titles available separately"

Bruce Morrison

Supporting Actor
I'm wondering whether each film will come in a standard keep case or whether they'll use those ultra thin cases like they did for their Brando and Newman collections. As the films will be available separately, this suggests the usual keep case packaging but does anyone know for sure?

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
It'll be interesting to see comparisons of the WB The Man With the Golden Arm with the 50th Anniversary version put out a few years ago by Hart Sharp. IIRC, they did a fair job with that presentation.

JPCinema

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ken Koc
Too bad Warners is not using Original artwork instead of the new tacky ones for the covers of the DVDs.

Corey

Screenwriter
I'll be getting the Early Years and Golden Years sets, but God, those covers are UGLY!!!

RafaelPires

Supporting Actor
How's too bad? Come on, WB is releasing tons of Frank Sinatra movies, and there is always someone complaining about the minimum detail. You should be thanking them instead.

Simon Howson

Screenwriter
Wonderful! I'll get the Golden Years box, mainly for Some Came Running and The Man with the Golden Arm, the rest are bonuses, including another early 'Scope film - The Tender Trap.

Warner does it again.

Richard M S

Screenwriter
Oh Some Came Running is indeed a gem, and I really look forward to seeing it again.

And on the other end of the scale, Kissing Bandit, his big flop is also fun to watch at least once, just for Kathryn Grayson's numbers and the Ann Miller/Cyd Charisse/Ricardo Montalban dance number, added after the film was finished to give it some life.

I wonder what extras will be included in those sets.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks