What's new

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
Warner Archive deliveries are akin to packages delivered to camp. You always hope for something special.

And so it was with their new Blu-ray of Take Me Out to the Ball Game, a delightful 1949 musical from the Freed unit, starring Frank Sinatra, Esther Williams and Gene Kelly in three-strip Technicolor.

Everyone who appreciated the genre is hopefully now aware of the quality of these Technicolor releases, and I was expecting a similar example for TMOtoBG.

But I regret to report that not to be the case.

We've had certain expectations set, and suddenly an example arrives that takes the look, textures and color of the technology and sends them to another level.

Possibly it comes down to production design.

But the purity of the colors is the finest that I've seen, full mimicking the look of a pristine 35mm print - only better. The brilliance of the reds, blacks, blues and of course, yellows knocks this one - nope - not going there.

The extra of Boys and Girls Like You and Me is set up with the wildest history I can recall for a cut number, and the example appears to be newly harvested.

Directed by Busby Berkeley.

Image – 5

Audio – 5

Pass / Fail – Pass

Upgrade from DVD - Yes

Highly Recommended

RAH

Last edited:

lark144

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
mark gross
I had a feeling this would be one of the best three-strip Technicolor Blus from the Warner Archive, as the 35mm print they used to show at the Regency back in the day was really dazzling. I mean, REALLY DAZZLING. The colors jumped off the screen. Wonderful dancing too, choreographed by Kelly & Donen. The film though, always left me cold. Not much of a plot. Esther Williams had very little to do. Though it's about a baseball team, there's almost no baseball to speak of. As I recall, it's mostly Kelly showing Sinatra how to pick up girls, as if he needed any coaching in that department. The pacing is funereal. And there's no real third act. It just kind of sputters out. But the dancing and the color was enough to get me to watch it multiple times 40 years ago, so I guess that still holds.

Will Krupp

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Will
How did they do it? It looks perfect -- like I am watching something live right in front of me. Even the outtakes look just like the feature film!

You aren't kidding! I sat down to watch this yesterday and was, to put it mildly, blown away. I don't think I ever stopped smiling the entire time. A truly fantastic job!

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
Why can't everything look this good! How did they do it? It looks perfect -- like I am watching something live right in front of me. Even the outtakes look just like the feature film! Baby doll is so good I can't believe they cut it. I love the way Esther Williams is doing the robot!
Secret weapon. MPI

roxy1927

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
vincent parisi
I was watching Rodgers and Hammerstein's Cinderella from 65 which looks fairly good though typically soft on YouTube and suddenly realized that Boys and Girls Like You and Me is used as a polanaise during the ball. It's probably the first time that song has been used in a completed production without being cut.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks