What's new

4:3 image on 16:9 TV (1 Viewer)

Mike L-field

Agent
This may be a dumb question - be kind if it is :) I was reading a review of a Mits. WS TV and it included a statement that the 4:3 image on such a set would be quite a bit smaller than it would be on a 55" 4:3 set. Is that true for all 16:9 sets?
I do know that the expand or Zoom features can fill the screen (with a somewhat distorted image). Anyway, if that is true for any WS set, which manufacturer(s) have the best "stretch " modes for using with 4:3 material?
While I'm here I might as well ask opinions too: I have narrowed my choice so far between the Tosh. 57 HX($2799), the Mits. 55" (probably the new platinum model w/ the integrated tuner and firewire) at @ $3200, or the Sony 67 KW 40 @ about $3000). Any other contenders?
Thanks in advance for your help.

Marc Rochkind

Second Unit
Can't help with the TV choice, but I can with the geometry.

Of course, the 4:3 image is smaller on a 16:9 with diagonal of X compared to a 4:3 with the same diagonal, X, because in both cases X goes from corner to corner, and the 16:9 is elongated compared to the 4:3.

On the other hand, for a widescreen image, the reverse is true: It is bigger on a 16:9 with diagonal X than on a 4:3 of diagonal X.

In my opinion, since most people watch some 4:3 material and some widescreen, here is how to choose the best shape:

1. If money is tight, get a 4:3, since they are cheaper, but make sure it has a vertical compression (sometimes called widescreen mode) feature.

2. If you watch almost all 4:3, get 4:3, with vertical compression feature.

3. If you watch DVDs at all and really like widescreen, get a 16:9.

Another reason for #3 is that you usually want the 4:3 to be smaller than the 16:9, rather than bigger, because usually the 4:3 is at lower resolution. (Typically, the 4:3 comes from cable or satellite, and the 16:9 comes from DVD, although, of course, this isn't always the case.) You want to be close to a high resolution picture and farther away from a low resolution one. Well... with the 4:3 being smaller, you don't have to move your chair!

As for stretching the 4:3, I don't do this, but some people do. I have a Toshiba 56X81 that has a bunch of stretch modes. One of them keeps the center mostly the same and puts most of the stretch at the edges, rather than stretching uniformly. I guess if you're going to stretch, this is the way.

Richard Burzynski

Second Unit
Mike:

Widescreen (16:9) sets have screens that are "short and wide" in comparison to thier 4:3 set counterparts. Perfect for widescreen DVD's and HD (16:9) material.

However, if you mainly watch 4:3 material, especially analog stuff like cable, I strongly recommend a 4:3 analog TV. Between "basic" line doublers and the various stretch modes, watching lots of 4:3 material on HD sets can really take away from your enjoyment.

Good Luck.

Rich B.

I use ZOOM mode for 4:3 material on my Panny 47". It doesn't distort the image, but crops top and bottom parts, and TV allows to scroll picture vertically.

Mike L-field

Agent
Thanks fellas. Marc - Are you at all disappointed in the Toshiba, or, is it all it's cracked up to be? Also, is the X81 a widescreen or a 4:3 set?

Marc Rochkind

Second Unit
The Toshiba 56X81 is fantastic. I got it about two years ago, and have had no trouble. Use it with a progressive scan DVD player. Sensational picture.

Now Toshiba has improved the models and lowered the price.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks