1. We suffered a brief outage this morning when our host noticed that HTF needed to be moved to a different server due to a hardware failure. That work is now complete. Please post in the feedback area if you have any issues.
    Dismiss Notice

4:3 image on 16:9 TV

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Mike L-field, Dec 29, 2001.

1. Mike L-field

Mike L-field Agent

This may be a dumb question - be kind if it is [​IMG] I was reading a review of a Mits. WS TV and it included a statement that the 4:3 image on such a set would be quite a bit smaller than it would be on a 55" 4:3 set. Is that true for all 16:9 sets?
    I do know that the expand or Zoom features can fill the screen (with a somewhat distorted image). Anyway, if that is true for any WS set, which manufacturer(s) have the best "stretch " modes for using with 4:3 material?
    While I'm here I might as well ask opinions too: I have narrowed my choice so far between the Tosh. 57 HX($2799), the Mits. 55" (probably the new platinum model w/ the integrated tuner and firewire) at @ $3200, or the Sony 67 KW 40 @ about $3000). Any other contenders?
    Thanks in advance for your help.

2. Marc Rochkind

Marc Rochkind Second Unit

Can't help with the TV choice, but I can with the geometry.

Of course, the 4:3 image is smaller on a 16:9 with diagonal of X compared to a 4:3 with the same diagonal, X, because in both cases X goes from corner to corner, and the 16:9 is elongated compared to the 4:3.

On the other hand, for a widescreen image, the reverse is true: It is bigger on a 16:9 with diagonal X than on a 4:3 of diagonal X.

In my opinion, since most people watch some 4:3 material and some widescreen, here is how to choose the best shape:

1. If money is tight, get a 4:3, since they are cheaper, but make sure it has a vertical compression (sometimes called widescreen mode) feature.

2. If you watch almost all 4:3, get 4:3, with vertical compression feature.

3. If you watch DVDs at all and really like widescreen, get a 16:9.

Another reason for #3 is that you usually want the 4:3 to be smaller than the 16:9, rather than bigger, because usually the 4:3 is at lower resolution. (Typically, the 4:3 comes from cable or satellite, and the 16:9 comes from DVD, although, of course, this isn't always the case.) You want to be close to a high resolution picture and farther away from a low resolution one. Well... with the 4:3 being smaller, you don't have to move your chair!

As for stretching the 4:3, I don't do this, but some people do. I have a Toshiba 56X81 that has a bunch of stretch modes. One of them keeps the center mostly the same and puts most of the stretch at the edges, rather than stretching uniformly. I guess if you're going to stretch, this is the way.

3. Richard Burzynski

Richard Burzynski Second Unit

Mike:

Widescreen (16:9) sets have screens that are "short and wide" in comparison to thier 4:3 set counterparts. Perfect for widescreen DVD's and HD (16:9) material.

However, if you mainly watch 4:3 material, especially analog stuff like cable, I strongly recommend a 4:3 analog TV. Between "basic" line doublers and the various stretch modes, watching lots of 4:3 material on HD sets can really take away from your enjoyment.

Good Luck.

Rich B.

4. WilliamJulien

5. Andriy Zolotoiy

I use ZOOM mode for 4:3 material on my Panny 47". It doesn't distort the image, but crops top and bottom parts, and TV allows to scroll picture vertically.

6. Mike L-field

Mike L-field Agent

Thanks fellas. Marc - Are you at all disappointed in the Toshiba, or, is it all it's cracked up to be? Also, is the X81 a widescreen or a 4:3 set?

7. Marc Rochkind

The Toshiba 56X81 is fantastic. I got it about two years ago, and have had no trouble. Use it with a progressive scan DVD player. Sensational picture.

Now Toshiba has improved the models and lowered the price.

8. Marc Rochkind

The 56X81 is a 16:9 HD-ready set.