What's new

3801 zapped by lightening! Is it dead? Looking at 3802. (1 Viewer)

Jason Hartman

Auditioning
We had some major storms last week and my house was hit by lightening. Lost all of my major services - cable tv, cable modem, phone, security system, home network, etc. Also lost some electronics, namely my Denon 3801. I get nothing when i push the power button. It was on a fairly decent APC surge supressor too.
So is it probably totally fried? Someone said it may have just blown an internal fuse which a repair could just pop the cover off of and replace it. Does that sound possible? My insurance company is having an electronics repair place (Dial Electronics in Maryland) pick up my stuff and look it over.
I'm kinda hoping it's just plain dead so i can get my money back and get a new 3802 since they are selling for the same price that i paid for my 3801 just 6 months ago. Any recommendations on where i should get my 3802 or even another 3801 for that matter? Got the 3801 from Crazy Eddies and didn't have any problems with them.
Oh, and my NHT speakers may be blown too but i won't have any way to test them until i get a working receive back here.
What a mess...
Jason

Guy Kuo

Supporting Actor
Look in the manual or the Denon site for information about resetting the microprocessor on the receiver. There is some combination of keys which you hold while turning on the power which forces a reset. That might be all which is needed.
------------------
Guy Kuo
Link Removed
Ovation Software, the Home of AVIA DVD

Chuck C

Senior HTF Member
As a business minded student, consider this: How would you like to wait days, weeks, or possibly months for your AVR to be repaired, and once repaired, how can you comfortably watch movies knowing your receiver was zapped by lightning!!!!!!!!?
Get in touch w/ APC and see if they offer an anything-connected money back guarantee.
------------------
Chuck
Chuckster's HT Site
Equipment List
The Dorm Room Theater

Jason Watson

Stunt Coordinator
Jason,
I feel your pain. I lost my Golden Theater GTX1 last week to a lightening strike. I opened it up and found the .5 amp fuse blown,so I replaced it only to have it blow immediately again. The sad part is, all of my gear except my amps were plugged into a Monster Cable HTS 3500 conditioner/surge suppressor. Monster provides 50k insurance but all equipment must be connected to it. It seems the surge went through the amps and stopped in the pre/pro so I will get no help from them. No other A/V gear was damaged in the H/T rig although several other things fried in other parts of the house. My insurance co. says they will pay for lightening damage but not voltage surges. Now all I have to do is prove it was lightening. Any ideas anyone?
Jason

Gil D

Supporting Actor
Jason,
Check if your warranty is voided by the Act of God. For Sony ES it definitely is, not sure about Denon. If the insurance company does the repair and it fails again in 3 months your SOL. Insist on replacement cost.
Now all I have to do is prove it was lightening.
Jason W,
What do they want you to do? A full blown failure analysis on every component?

Kirk Gunn

Screenwriter
I lost my Denon 2700 from lightning a while back. It was "non-repairable" according to the first shop I took it too. They stated so on the estimate and the insurance company offered to replace with the current model, the 2800. For an additional 100.00, they upgraded me to the 3300. At a minimum they should offer you the 3802 if there are no new 3801's available (unfortunately I still see many listed). Ask them the upgrade price to the 4800 or the 5800 !!!!
btw - I brought my 2700 to another shop, they offered to fix for 200.00, (blown supply and processor), but they cannot get the parts from Denon.... If your repair shop claims it's repairable, ask them to check parts availability !!!! You could be waiting a LONG time (I'm talking over 6 months !).
Good Luck

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
balajipackersmovers
Recent bookmarks