What's new
Signup for GameFly to rent the newest 4k UHD movies!

360 as an upconverting dvd player? (1 Viewer)

EricW

Senior HTF Member
i will be upgrading to a bigscreen soon - 56" (JVC 56FH97). right now because my screen is 36", i never felt the need for an upconverting player. anyways, i was just wondering if anyone could tell me if the 360 upscaling capabilites are good - it'd save me $ and an input. does anyone have both and compared?

thanks!

Please support HTF by using one of these affiliate links when considering a purchase.

Alon Goldberg

Screenwriter
Real Name
Alon Goldberg
Hi Eric - the Xbox 360 is limited to component ouputs, and does not have Upconversion capabilities. Late this year Microsoft will be releasing an HD DVD add-on, which will add this functionality. There is no way to compare its Upconversion capabilities until the new drive is released.

For the time being, the best budget Upconverting DVD Players are the Oppo 970 and Oppo 971. Enjoy!

BrianB

Senior HTF Member
The 360 will upconvert DVDs if connected via a VGA connector.

There was some miscommunication this week about the upcoming 1080p 'upgrade' allowing upconverting of DVDs over component, but unfortunately it won't, apparently.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bmoore9
Recent bookmarks