What's new

XBOX 360 IS KILLING ME... LITERALLY!!!! (1 Viewer)

jpendergrast

Auditioning
Real Name
John Pendergrast
To any Saints of A/V:

I have an Xbox 360 (not HDMI) which I use to get my game on when I can. I'm having a problem with the surround sound setup which was given to me as a wedding gift from friends- it seems like a decent system for what I'm trying to do (according to some product reveiws I've read). However, since the original XBOX 360 only supports analog 2.1 audio output, I can't figure out what I need to do in order to get the 5.1 surround sound to work without purchasing a new HDMI XBOX 360, or an $80 adapter from MadCatz. I'll provide the technical specs below, and in order of what is hooked up to what, but is there anyone out there who can help me with this? I'm going crazy over here.

-Pioneer 61 inch HDTV (DLP), 1080i S-video, VGA, composite, component hookups (no HDMI)
-XBOX 360
-RCA 5.1 1000 Watt Surround Sound System
-Philips HDMI Upconverting DVD Player

*I have 2 S-video ports, 1 VGA port, 3 composite video inputs, and 2 component video inputs.

P.S.
I'm a noob at this so go easy on the criticisms.
htf_images_smilies_drum.gif

Eager to game with 5.1,
John P.

Gary Shipley

Second Unit
You should have a spot on the back of the 360 for an optical cable. Run the optical cable from there to the optical in on your receiver.

jpendergrast

Auditioning
Real Name
John Pendergrast
I don't see anything that says Optical out. Below is a link to a site which shows the back, and unless I'm missing something, there is no optical out.

Bryan X

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bryan
The optical out is not on the back of the Xbox360. The optical out is actually built into the cable plug that fits into the back of the machine.

Jeff Cooper

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeff Cooper
Hah, this reminds me of the original XBOX when it came out had a warning that because it was heavy, it could fall on and crush small pets or infants. Thus the reason for the break-away controller cables.

jpendergrast

Auditioning
Real Name
John Pendergrast
Does anyone have any practical input on what I need to do here? A guy at Best Buy told me to get a TOSLink cable?? but from what I can find, there are about 6 different kinds.

weary,

p3nDeRiZoR

ChristopherG

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chris
You do need a toslink cable - you don't need to spend a lot of money as fiber is fiber. This plugs into the Hi Def cable. Notice on that link - the big square end that connects to the XBOX has extra "space" - that is where the toslink cable plugs in and than you connect the other end of the toslink to your digital (optical) input on your receiver.

You do not need HDMI for this - than you need to configure your settings to enable Dolby Digital in the 360 dash. Now this all assumes you have an open optical input on your receiver...

Bob_L

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Bob Lindstrom
At $47 that Monster cable is a ridiculous ripoff. If you need a good quality, affordable cable, just check Monoprice or Blue Jeans.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks