What's new

3 Upcoming Criterions : Le Corbeau, Salvatore Guilano and Tunes of Glory (1 Viewer)

Simon_Lepine

Supporting Actor
The covers for those 3 movies have shown up on Criterion's site. I guess this is probably the february line-up?

Can't say I'm too excited about these titles, although I migh get Clouzot's Le Corbeau, since I like Diabolique and Wages of Fear.

Cover for Diary of a Country Priest is also available:

Haggai

Senior HTF Member
Where on their website did these come from? I'm not seeing anything beyond the already announced January releases in their "Coming Soon" section.

rich_d

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rich
Where on their website did these come from? I'm not seeing anything beyond the already announced January releases in their "Coming Soon" section.
They are off of Criterion's site. I can't speak for Simon, but he may just understand their image filing system.

The same approach lets me pull up this:

Brian PB

Supporting Actor
WOW. Talk about the breadth of the Criterion Collection--a little something for everyone with these seven releases.

I'm most excited about Bresson's 1951 masterpiece, Diary of a Country Priest/Journal d'un curé de campagne. Like Dreyer, Bresson made very few films, but each is something special. This is only the second Bresson film to make it to DVD in Region 1 (though more are apparently on the way from both Criterion and New Yorker).

Le Corbeau/The Raven caused a sensation in occupied France at the time of its release in 1943. In his book Republic of Images, Alan Williams describes its "complex brew of anti-authoritarian, anti-Vichy, anti-Nazi messages" that--ironically--were poorly received by the Resistance. There were even calls for the filmmakers to recieve the death penalty. Having loved The Wages of Fear/Le Salaire de la peur, Quai des Orfèvres, and Diabolique, this is a film I've long wanted to see.

From what I've read, Rosi's Salvatore Giuliano (1962) owes much to Italian neorealism (and influenced Pontecorvo's 1965 film, The Battle of Algiers--which Criterion plans to release later this year). That's enough to pique my interest.

Pickup on South Street is my most-awaited Sam Fuller film.

I know little about Tunes of Glory or Maîtresse, but look forward to checking them out. I'm not a big fan of filmed Shakespeare, bit I know Olivier's Richard III has a lofty reputation.

Jon Robertson

Screenwriter
Maitresse is decidedly not for the squeamish. It's actually a rather sweet-natured romantic comedy, but, uh, between a crook and a dominatrix in an S&M parlour, so get ready to wince!

There's actually some un-faked bondage footage, including one scene that will have most diving behind a cushion where a gentleman
has pins pushed through his penis, for real, on camera.

You have been warned. Brilliant cover, though!

Jon Robertson

Screenwriter
Why? It's wonderful to see cover art that doesn't just look like a movie poster fascimile. It's dark, foreboding and, as you say, brutal - perfect for the film itself!

Frankly, I feel that the Pickup on South Street cover art is hideous - it's the kind of thing you'd expect from an Alpha release.

I can understand wanting to go with the wartime propaganda style-illustration, but the fact remains that the Tunes of Glory cover is alarmingly camp, with Guinness in close-up pouting away with his thin moustache and that kilted Scotsman shaking his fist. It's like a spin-off of The Broons!

John Hodson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
I don't give a damn about the cover; Tunes of Glory will be a Criterion disc - that's fantastic news! Quite made my day :emoji_thumbsup:

---
So many films, so little time...

Mark Zimmer

Senior HTF Member
I like the Corbeau art. They could release it in a brown paper bag for all I care. I've been waiting to see this for decades and am overjoyed that Criterion is finally taking this on.

SteveGon

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Gonzales
Argh, so much for my New Year's resolution of saving money next year. :D

:emoji_thumbsup: on Tunes of Glory, most of the others sound interesting.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks