What's new

24: Rent or buy? (1 Viewer)

Kevin Porter

Supporting Actor
I've heard mixed things about this set and I'm wondering if I should just stick with renting the series. I never watched an episode since it first aired and I'm wondering if it has replay value or not. Many have stated it has zero replay value while others have labeled it "DVD crack". Should I save my money and rent or buy?

~Kevin

Scott_AH

Stunt Coordinator
It was outstanding when I watched it the first time but I can't see any reason why someone would want to watch it more than once.

Scott

Definitely a must buy. :emoji_thumbsup:
I watched the season when it first aired and thought it was an excellent show the first time I saw it. Then I bought the DVD set and it's like watching it again for the first time.
Just look at it as a long film, a really long film you are buying. Plus I see no reason why people are saying it doesn't have any re-watchable value.
Forget that crap and just go buy it! :D

Damin J Toell

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Damin J. Toell
I found that the series got disappointingly preposterous the longer it went on, so you might be better off renting it to see if you can withstand the daytime-soap-opera-esque plot developments.

DJ

MichaelAW

Second Unit
I say rent it now, try it out, and then buy it later, when you feel for seeing it again. That way, you've only invested a fraction of the total cost, and you don't risk being burned.

Scott Weinberg

Senior HTF Member
I'm with those guys. As much as I truly enjoyed watching the whole DVD set, I'm not sure it's something I'd go back to very often.

Get it on a long rental, enjoy, then decide if it's a set you need to own.

Kurt N

Stunt Coordinator
Obviously it's not something you'll watch a hundred times--it's 22 hours long!!! However, at this length, if you watch it 3 times, that's like watching one movie 39 times. I say buy it. I did, without having seen an episode and I'm really glad I got it.

Josh Lowe

Screenwriter
I agree with Damin. Borrow or rent to see if you can withstand the Biblical leaps of faith required to buy into it from hour 13 through hour 23.

Angel Pagan

Second Unit
I watched the series when it first aired and saw it again in 3 days on dvd. My brother and friend have never seen it so I'll be watching it yet again with them. This series is really good and I enjoy going back to see how the writers were able to keep the viewers guessing. Is it hard to believe at times? Yes, but not overly over-the-top. Although, I'll agree that is has it's moments of disbelief, at least the series isn't predictable. I have a hard time defending a movie or tv show for being predictable. I want to be entertained and a little disbelief won't hurt as long as it's fun and/or suspenseful (like this show is). For more realism, watch a reality show. But I do recommend that you should rent at least the 1st (and maybe 2nd) disc to see if you would want to own what is being labeled as "DVD Crack". Honestly, I'm hooked.

Angel

Tony_Faville

Supporting Actor
I bought it without having ever seen a single episode. Watched it over a period of 6 days and loved it. Sure, there was some way over the top things that happened but I still consider the $39.99 I spent to have been well worth it.

And yes, I will watch it again.

Mike-M

Stunt Coordinator
If you think about it, since NONE of the episodes have a true ending, it's hard to remember them as individuals. So, in a sense, it's hard to remember specific things that happened.

With a movie being only two hours long, you can not watch it for a year or two or three and be satisfied because it's very easy to recall moments of the film. I've now watched "24" on TV and all the way through again on DVD and I'm looking forward to watching it again. Not tomorrow or anything, but maybe in a year after season 2 is on DVD. I remember SOME moments, epesicially pivotal ones that happened like Jack did this thing, or Nina said that, etc, but I can't remember EVERYTHING that made the show so excellent simply because it was so long. It's hard for me to recall, even after two viewings of this show, just exactly at what episodes Jack was chasing this guy or threatened this guy or accussed this person--and to me that's a good thing. The show was constructed for you to look at it as a WHOLE and not individual episodes. I think that's where the replay value comes in. I think the only problem with that is because since all the episodes aren't truly self contained, you'll have to watch ALL 24 episodes to be fufilled (or in some cases maybe just half the show).

I personally think the show has such a great concept and great performances that it warrants re-watching. The show got irrational at points storywise but the performances were always dead on.

Matthew Furtek

Stunt Coordinator
I think it would be better to buy this instead of renting it. Blockbuster splits up their TV shows on DVD, meaning one rental is only 1/4th of the series (I am assuming its a 4 disc set). I would guess this depends how you rent your movies (like if you were using the 10 free rental card with a purchase of Spider-Man or AOTC).

I got burned once, rented one of the Sex In the City discs for my girlfriend, she forgot to return it and I end up paying enough late fees to cover the purchase of the whole thing on DVD.

Matt Furtek

Lew Crippen

Senior HTF Member
I thoroughly enjoyed the series when it was repeated (in 24 hours) on FX! a short while back. With a little time-shifting my wife and I watched it all one weekend.
We will surely watch the next series.
But, for me there is very little replay value—the constant cliff-hanger crises (each hour) won’t have the impact the second time around, much less the third.

Chad A Wright

Supporting Actor
I bought 24 sight unseen, and I couldn't be more pleased with it. I think it has the same rewatchability factor of any movie. Sure you already know the twists and turns, but you still watch them anyway. I figure over the life of the discs I will watch it enough to justify the $50 purchase price.

Go for it.

Adam_WM

Screenwriter
Real Name
Adam Moreau
BUY IT. BUY IT. Watch it once: you get all the surprises. Watch it again, see things you missed the second time! Honestly, though, when you buy anything, you are only going to watch it a certain amount of times. I GIVE 24 MY HIGHEST RECOMMENDATION and if I am correct, I coined the term "DVD CRACK".

Kevin Porter

Supporting Actor
I believe I will be purchasing this one. I think I'll still rent the first disc though just to make sure. I'm kind of mad because the internet is evil because now I know Nina shoots Teri, Teri's pregnant, Teri gets amnesia, and baddies use Macs.
So tell me please if there is anything I haven't spoiled? I'm serious because I would like the reassurance. I'll probably be watching season 2 as it airs so no evil internet can intrude.

~Kevin

Scott Weinberg

Senior HTF Member
Friendly advice for Kevin:
If you're not aware of the plot twists included in a series that ended a few months ago...avoid the discussion threads! ;)

Rafael M

Agent
it's sad...with elisha cuthbert on this months maxim/fhm cover, im now considering buying the 24 dvd set, then tuning on october 29 for season two...
:b :D

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks