What's new

2019 TV DVD Predictions? (1 Viewer)

bmasters9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben Masters
Do you think that Mill Creek might at any time put out a newer version of that Hunter all-in-one with the discs in cardboard sleeves? If they did, I'd get it!

John*Wells

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Do you think that Mill Creek might at any time put out a newer version of that Hunter all-in-one with the discs in cardboard sleeves? If they did, I'd get it!

when they released Knight Rider in Blu Ray, they put money into plastic cases .. However, when I purchased Miami Vice Complete Series in DVD Format, it was in Cardboard sleeves while Blu Ray was in plastic Cases

Peter M Fitzgerald

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Peter Fitzgerald
Not necessarily probable, but possible (color shows, both recently aired in decent shape on Get-TV, no obvious rights issues that I'm aware of), if somebody licenses from Sony:

Hawk - The Complete Series (1966)
The Outcasts - The Complete Series (1968-69)

ClassicTVMan1981X

Screenwriter
Real Name
Benjamin
Not necessarily probable, but possible (color shows, both recently aired in decent shape on Get-TV, no obvious rights issues that I'm aware of), if somebody licenses from Sony:

Hawk - The Complete Series (1966)
The Outcasts - The Complete Series (1968-69)
Speaking of 3rd-party licensees' deals with Sony, how about?
Circus Boy - The Complete Series (1956-58)
Casey Jones - The Complete Series (1957-58)
The Farmer's Daughter - The Complete Series (1963-66)
Camp Runamuck - The Complete Series (1965-66)
Love on a Rooftop - The Complete Series (1966-67)
The Occasional Wife - The Complete Series (1966-67)
The Second Hundred Years - The Complete Series (1967-68)
The Ugliest Girl in Town - The Complete Series (1968-69)
The Paul Lynde Show - The Complete Series (1972-73)
Temperatures Rising - The Complete Series (1972-74)
David Cassidy in Man Undercover - The Complete Series (1978-79)
Bring 'em Back Alive! - The Complete Series (1982-83)
Filthy Rich - The Complete Series (1982-83)
Crazy Like a Fox - The Complete Series (1984-86)
The Charmings - The Complete Series (1987-88)
Houston Knights - The Complete Series (1987-88)

~Ben

Last edited:

MatthewA

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matthew
If I could pick 5 shows out of that list that I think might make it out in any form*, I would say The Farmer's Daughter, Temperature's Rising, Crazy Like a Fox, The Charmings, and The Paul Lynde Show. If I had to pick an alternate, I would pick Filthy Rich. Whether that would be any time soon I doubt, but based on Sony's track record those sound like the least unlikely.

Losing the rights to The Monkees probably took away a lot of their incentive to try and tie Mickey Dolenz's first series, Circus Boy (back when he was called Mickey Braddock), into it. With Bring 'Em Back Alive, I'm not sure the fact that the male and female lead were both in Tron would make a difference with a theoretical release; it didn't when the show was new.

*What I actually want has no bearing on their decision-making process for movies or TV because otherwise Silver Spoons and 227 would have been completed years ago, and that pan-and-scan-only Annie DVD never would have happened, either.

Last edited:

ClassicTVMan1981X

Screenwriter
Real Name
Benjamin
And if I had to choose just five shows from Paramount Television that either VEI or CBS DVD MOD could release, they might be:
* Funny Face (1971) / The Sandy Duncan Show (1972)
* Paper Moon (TV series) (1974)
* The Associates (US TV series) (1979-80)
* Day by Day (1988-89)
* Dear John (1988-92)

And my five Hanna-Barbera titles, from Warner Archive:
* These Are the Days (1974-75)
* Jana of the Jungle (1978)
* Trollkins (1981)
* Wildfire (1986)
* Fish Police (1992)

~Ben

bmasters9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben Masters
If I could pick 5 shows out of that list that I think might make it out in any form*, I would say The Farmer's Daughter, Temperature's Rising, Crazy Like a Fox, The Charmings, and The Paul Lynde Show.

As I've said before, I'd definitely want that Crazy Like a Fox-- even if Mill Creek were to put out that 1984-86 CBS detective series (w/the late Jack Warden as Harry Fox, and John Rubinstein as his son Harrison), I'd be on it like everything, being as I've never seen it before (granted, I've heard of it in my lifetime, but never seen it).

MatthewA

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matthew
As I've said before, I'd definitely want that Crazy Like a Fox-- even if Mill Creek were to put out that 1984-86 CBS detective series (w/the late Jack Warden as Harry Fox, and John Rubinstein as his son Harrison), I'd be on it like everything, being as I've never seen it before (granted, I've heard of it in my lifetime, but never seen it).

That's an example of something that should have been a hit. It was 10th place in the post-Murder She Wrote timeslot formerly held by The Jeffersons and Alice, which they'd gotten as much as they could get from by that point; Trapper John MD, still shamefully missing from DVD, was on after it. But then the next season they moved it to Wednesday to replace two flop comedies with Flip Wilson and George Burns, and Trapper ended its life on Tuesdays at 8:00 PM. There was also a TV movie a year after its end (with Monty Python's Graham Chapman in it in one of his last roles) to gauge interest in bringing it back in syndication along with other Columbia reboots such as What's Happening Now, The New Gidget, and The New Monkees. At least their criteria for reboots were different than now: they brought back shows that did well in syndication despite having small episode counts.

With Shout! getting dibs on so many of Sony's 1970s and 1980s hits, I'm surprised this wasn't part of the deal. Unlike many of those, this was actually Columbia's doing. Mill Creek only gets the do-overs.

MatthewA

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matthew
I may be overlooking some titles, but the stuff they released is all stuff Sony released first. They don't get unreleased seasons of shows. Shout! does.

bmasters9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben Masters
I may be overlooking some titles, but the stuff they released is all stuff Sony released first. They don't get unreleased seasons of shows. Shout! does.

So Shout! puts out new, and Mill Creek redoes old: is that it?

Wezzo

Second Unit

One exception is Mad About You, for which Mill Creek were the first (and only, thus far) to release seasons 6 and 7.

John*Wells

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
I would hope Miss Bliss comes out so Saved by the Bell will be complete

darkrock17

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Andrew McClure
Here's what I would like to see come out before Dec 31 of this year.

NOTE: I'm doing this list by anniversaries and some of these titles have already been released, but nothing wrong with double or triple dipping right?

The jumping banana means the series I want to see the most be released.

70th

:dancing-banana-04:The George Burns & Gracie Allen Show:
Next year it turns 70, but you know how some studios like to release them a year early. All 8 seasons with or without the in-episode Carnation commercials.

60th

The Twilight Zone: CBS/Paramount is going to do it anyways, you know they will.

Dennis The Menace: Shout could re-release it and throw in some new features.

:dancing-banana-04:The Rocky & Bullwinkle Show: This series I want to be redone the right way, be shown as it's two separate original names (Rocky & His Friends and The Bullwinkle Show) or the more general name everyone knows The Rocky & Bullwinkle Show no more Rocky & Bullwinkle & Friends that it's been going by since 2003. I want to see it complete and packed with features. Shout would be the best company to handle this show. Wouldn't also say no to seeing Moose and Squirrel on Blu as well.

55th

:dancing-banana-04:The Addams Family: Creepy, Kooky and altogether Ooky on Blu

Bewitched, The Munsters, and Gilligan's Island all on Blu as well.

50th

:dancing-banana-04:Monty Python's Flying Circus:
It's Python need I say more. On Blu that's a must.

Scooby-Doo Where Are You!: WB has it already coming on Blu, you know they do.

The Brady Bunch: CBS/Paramount could be prepping it for Blu

45th

Happy Days: FINISH THE SERIES ALREADY CBS/PARAMOUNT

Rhoda:
Did Shout finish this series, if not do so and pack it with features.

Kolchak: The Night Stalker: Would be fun to see this on Blu

40th

:dancing-banana-04:The Dukes of Hazzard: Them good O'l boys on Blu

Benson: Hasn't been finished, be nice to make it complete on it's 40th anniversary. Features should included a nice tribute to Robert Guillaume as well.

:dancing-banana-04:You Can't Do That On Television: Nick and Canada work together to get this cult classic kids show out.

35th

:dancing-banana-04:Muppet Babies:
Disney give it to Shout and let them clear all the licences it needs in order to be released.

Who's The Boss?: Sony gave up on the series 15 years, give it to Shout

30th

Tales From The
Crypt: Fun to see this on Blu

Seinfeld: I think the DVD collection has been out of print for a few years now, wouldn't look bad in Blu

:rock:America's Funniest Home Videos: I'd love to see another collection of the Saget years.

25th

Sister, Sister: I think this show is complete, if not make it so with lots of features as well.

:rock:All That: 90's Nick at it's best, would love to own this series on DVD

Gargoyles: This series fans want to see complete, give it to Shout as Disney clearly not interested anymore.

Friends: It's one of WB's cash cow series, we'll be seeing a 25th anniversary collection for sure.

20th

:dancing-banana-04:Ed, Edd n' Eddy: WB stopped after season 2 back in 2007, THAT WAS 12 YEARS AGO! If they're not interested in Cartoon Network series give it to Shout they'll give these cartoons the love and treatment that they deserve.

Futurama: I think this complete on
Blu, I think?

:dancing-banana-04:Courage The Cowardly Dog: I think WB gave up after season 1 like they did if Johnny Bravo and Dexter's Lab

SpongeBob SquarePants: Nick is probably got something planned, hopefully it includes a nice tribute to series creator Stephen Hillenburg.

Good Eats: I'd love to have this series, it's still a great entertaining cooking show, as host Alton Brown said the show is Julia Child meets Mr. Wizard meets Monty Python; that sums up the series perfectly.

Rocket Power: Nick hasn't touched this yet unless it's on one of their compilation DVD's

The West Wing: If this isn't already on
Blu it needs to be.

Angel: Buffy spin-off that is not on
Blu and neither is she FOX do something before Disney takes complete ownership, if not give to to Shout.

15th

:dancing-banana-04:Entourage: Not everyone liked but it was a fun series, I have the first 4 seasons on DVD, be nice to have it complete on Blu

O'Grady: Quirky series that aired on The N, now Teen Nick. Was essentially the series Home Movies just set in high school. Also they dealt with "The Weirdness" an unknown thing that cause strange things to happen to them and their town as well. Too bad it ran just 2 seasons.

Foster's Home For Imaginary Friends: Another Cartoon Network series I don't think was completed as well.

Veronica Mars: Never been on Blu

Last edited:

tlc38tlc38

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Trent
^”Angel” nor “Buffy” will prob ever be released on Blu-ray per Joss Whedon’s request.

Ron1973

Beverly Hillbilles nut extraordinaire
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ron Reagan (not that one!)
I know I mentioned it before, but I purchased a couple of HD episodes of Gilligan's Island on Vudu. Oh my! They were standard 4x3 without any zooming or trickery and looked absolutely stunning! I would love to see it on blu.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks