What's new

2019 TV DVD Predictions? (1 Viewer)

Randy Korstick

Senior HTF Member
Using this old thread to post my guesses for WB's Archives July Releases: They are

Jamie Foxx Show season 5
Invasion America (a late nineties HB animated five part Sci-Fi special). Since July is San Diego Comic Con month, I'm guessing there will be some sort of scifi or animated release)
Step by Step (season 5 or 6)
The Alaskans (Roger Moore series)

Those are my far-out guesses. A mix of wishes and practicalities. Maybe we'll get lucky.

James

Unfortunately The Alaskans is stuck in the same music rights issues as the detective series. They would pay the money to get 77 Sunset Strip or Hawaiian Eye cleared before this one and unfortunately they seem to be stalled on all of them. No word on Colt .45 either which doesn't have complicated music rights but apparently needs a lot of restoration work.

ClassicTVMan1981X

Screenwriter
Real Name
Benjamin
Still hoping one of the following Paramount Television (CBS) series will be released...
Barefoot in the Park (1970 TV series)
Funny Face / The Sandy Duncan Show
Me and the Chimp
Love Story (TV series)
Paper Moon (TV series)
Kate McShane
The Cop and the Kid
Serpico (TV series)
Busting Loose
Blansky's Beauties
Szysznyk
Mulligan's Stew
The Ted Knight Show
Who's Watching the Kids?
Brothers and Sisters
$weepstake$
Makin' It
Out of the Blue (1979 TV series)
Working Stiffs
Struck by Lightning
The Associates (U.S. TV series)
Goodtime Girls
Foul Play (TV series)
Madame's Place
Star of the Family (1982 TV series)
The New Odd Couple (1982-83)
The Renegades
Ryan's Four
Mr. Smith (1983 TV series)
The Cavanaughs
Gung Ho (TV series)
Bronx Zoo
Duet / Open House
Day by Day
Dear John (U.S. TV series)

~Ben

Last edited:

bmasters9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben Masters
Still hoping one of the following Paramount Television (CBS) series will be released...
Barefoot in the Park (1970 TV series)
Funny Face / The Sandy Duncan Show
Me and the Chimp
Love Story (TV series)
Paper Moon (TV series)
Kate McShane
The Cop and the Kid
Serpico (TV series)
Busting Loose
Blansky's Beauties
Szysznyk
Mulligan's Stew
The Ted Knight Show
Who's Watching the Kids?
Brothers and Sisters
$weepstake$
Makin' It
Out of the Blue (1979 TV series)
Working Stiffs
Struck by Lightning
The Associates (U.S. TV series)
Goodtime Girls
Foul Play (TV series)
Madame's Place
Star of the Family (1982 TV series)
The New Odd Couple (1982-83)
The Renegades
Ryan's Four
Mr. Smith (1983 TV series)
Gung Ho (TV series)
Bronx Zoo
Duet / Open House
Day by Day
Dear John (U.S. TV series)

You keep forgetting The Cavanaughs!

JamesSmith

Senior HTF Member
Using this old thread to post my guesses for WB's Archives July Releases: They are

Jamie Foxx Show season 5
Invasion America (a late nineties HB animated five part Sci-Fi special). Since July is San Diego Comic Con month, I'm guessing there will be some sort of scifi or animated release)
Step by Step (season 5 or 6)
The Alaskans (Roger Moore series)

Those are my far-out guesses. A mix of wishes and practicalities. Maybe we'll get lucky.

James

Any of you have any guesses?

mrz7

Second Unit
Real Name
Scott Zuncic
Any of you have any guesses?

Well....I know I sound like a broken record......but I am hoping Warner Brothers will do some sort of DVD release of "Knots Landing" to mark their 40th Anniversary in December. The pilot aired on December 27, 1979. At this point I wouldn't even mind a "Best Of" Collection. Back around the 9th Season of "Knots Landing", they did several specials focusing on certain storylines. I believe there were 4-6 of them.....maybe Warner will release those???. Ultimately, it would be great if they would just release the remaining seasons (3-14) but with the continuing music clearance problems stalling the show to be released on DVD.....I don't know if that is possible. But considering the show has a 40th anniversary this year, it was the longest running prime time soaps of the 1980/90's (14 Seasons) and it has a very loyal and strong fan base......I would think Warner Brothers will do SOMETHING?!?!?? And it would be in time for the holiday season too!!!

LeoA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Leo
I don't have much hope left anymore even though some nice things still happen from time to time (Such as My Three Sons recently getting unstalled, at least temporarily). But one that seems realistic to me is a Blu-Ray collection for Emergency!.

I've been posting it in these annual threads for three or four years now though, and it hasn't happened yet. Not sure what the problem is, but I wonder if it's another Green Acres style deal. Valuable enough that Universal isn't interested in licensing it out, but not lucrative enough for them to be doing anything themselves.

I suspect Mill Creek Entertainment would be ready and willing.

jcroy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jr
I don't have much hope left anymore even though some nice things still happen from time to time (Such as My Three Sons recently getting unstalled, at least temporarily).

I would be feeling the same way, if I was still hardcore into tv on dvd/bluray. (Nowadays I'm somewhat neutral).

Valuable enough that Universal isn't interested in licensing it out, but not lucrative enough for them to be doing anything themselves.

I suspect Mill Creek Entertainment would be ready and willing.

Assuming Mill Creek's contract with Universal hasn't expired.

darkrock17

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Andrew McClure
I would really like to see this complete on DVD, the 1990 animated Oz series from DiC. I'm most likely the only one here that has seen this series, if they're others please make yourselves known. I want to see all 13 episodes, I have a couple of the VHS's and the three DVD's that were released.

However, between the VHS and DVD, two episodes have never been released to complete the series. It's only been available complete in Germany and Australia. Odd choice to release this series if you ask me.

Again, this series mostly is not known, and for some who have seen they apparently did not like it. Regardless of that as an Oz fan it would nice to own this sadly forgotten series, as VHS's do wear out eventually, plus VCR's are basically obsolete these days as well. YouTube did have for a time have most of the series, but they have since taken them down and you have to pay in order to watch them now.

JamesSmith

Senior HTF Member
I remember that series, it came very close to the MGM version. I believe, Tress MacNeille voiced the wicked witch. Wish it was out on DVD. You're not alone, darkrock.

James

darkrock17

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Andrew McClure
I remember that series, it came very close to the MGM version. I believe, Tress MacNeille voiced the wicked witch. Wish it was out on DVD. You're not alone, darkrock.

James

WHAT! YOU'VE SEEN THIS CARTOON

I would of bet money that I was the only person on this forum that had seen this series.

This series was created to capitalize on the 50th Anniversary from the year prior in 1989. It has been called a sequel/spin-off of the original film. The true sequel to 1939 classic is stated as being Journey Back To Oz 1972/1974. Journey Back To Oz is a fun film, I however don't agree on it being the official sequel though. Other's have stated that it is because the original film says Oz is just a dream world caused by head trauma. The original film never explicitly stated that only implied it might be.

This series had a great cast of some best voice actors in the business. If you didn't know who they were, you would swear that the original actors were doing the voices as well. Tress MacNeille was The Wicked Witch along with Charlie Adler as The Cowardly Lion, David Lodge as The Scarecrow, Hal Rayle as The Tin Man, and lastly Liz Georges doing an almost spot on Judy Garland imitation as Dorothy.

Rounding out the cast was voice over veteran's Alan Oppenheimer was The Wizard, B.J. Ward as Glinda, and playing Toto was the great Frank Welker. It's too bad this series didn't get another season, as It could of gone 39 episodes at least.

Last edited:

JamesSmith

Senior HTF Member
There's a book on the various animated Oz series, I think it's by Mark Arnold or a Collier who briefly discusses the series; and thought the series wasn't the most memorable. I don't know. I just know Ms. McNeille's voice gave me nightmares.

Correction: I do think the show did show some thought, since they were trying to be more faithful to the original MGM musical.

Darkrock 17, never underestimate the power of the internet, that there's some other crazy person out there who's seen the same obscure forgettable show as well.

James

darkrock17

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Andrew McClure
There's a book on the various animated Oz series, I think it's by Mark Arnold or a Collier who briefly discusses the series; and thought the series wasn't the most memorable. I don't know. I just know Ms. McNeille's voice gave me nightmares.

Correction: I do think the show did show some thought, since they were trying to be more faithful to the original MGM musical.

Darkrock 17, never underestimate the power of the internet, that there's some other crazy person out there who's seen the same obscure forgettable show as well.

James

This is book you're talking about.

61qSRUJXP2L._SX398_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

I consider this series to be the sequel to the classic film. It was created that way everything from the characters looks, except Dorothy who was based off of Ariel from The Little Mermaid. The backgrounds and the music as well all mirror the 1939 film to a T.

I think why it's mostly forgotten is that it did only run for one year in 1990 on Saturday Mornings on ABC and then went into syndication on The Disney Channel for a year in 1991 or 1992. Then it stayed on HBO from about 1992 to 1996 or 1997. From there it went over to it's last known place on Toon Disney from 1998 to 2002.

Tress MacNeille as The Wicked Witch Of The West scared me for awhile than Margret Hamilton, who played the actual Wicked Witch. Her laugh was just too good I guess. Funny that she scared me as the Wicked Witch, but never as Bab's Bunny from Tiny Toon Adventures or as Dot from Animaniacs; she must of never used that iconic laugh of hers for those two characters.

Wasn't until I was watching Futurama in early 2000 when I learned who she was when I heard her do the iconic laugh as the character Mom. After watching that episode, I looked up who did the voice of this character on Google and it said it was by a lady named Tress MacNeille. I looked at the roles she's had done and found out that she was The Wicked Witch for the 1990 series.

I very rarely doubt the internet, if I think oh I bet I'll never find something, YouTube has so far yet to not have it.

LouA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lou Antonicello
I think we'll get at least one old show from CBS Paramount on demand , and maybe one show from Classic Flix.

Flashgear

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Randall
I asked the Kino-Lorber rep this question on Tuesday of this week, over in the HTF Blu-ray/HD thread...
KL Insider, if you could respond, even if need be in only the most general terms, as to whether KL is possibly investigating or planning the release of any more vintage or classic American or British B+W or Color TV series?

The KL insider's response was prompt...
Nothing British at this point, but we are looking into releasing some classic American TV shows.

So there's hope for more classic TV from KL...

Last edited:

Dave Lawrence

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Dave
So there's hope for more classic TV from KL...

I was happy to see the KL Insider's response to your question earlier in the week.

I just hope the releases they're planning now are for more shows that would be new to disc. I'm sure their Outer Limits BDs were good, and I might eventually get them during a sale. However, at least that series had the benefit of a previous DVD release, here and in other regions.

As we seem to be inching ever closer to the last days of TV on disc (at least for shows made prior to the 21st century), I'd much rather see as many new-too-disc shows as we can get in the time remaining rather than re-releases (even when they're upgrades).

I enjoyed Kino's releases of Coronet Blue and The Master, both of which were new-to-disc, are seldom or never rerun on TV, and were definitely not shows I expected to ever make it to disc. They weren't "grail" shows for me, but they were a welcome treat.

I hope it's more of these previously unreleased shows that Kino has in mind for the future.

JamesSmith

Senior HTF Member
This is book you're talking about.

61qSRUJXP2L._SX398_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

Yep, it's the book I was talking about.

Tress MacNeille as The Wicked Witch Of The West scared me for awhile than Margret Hamilton, who played the actual Wicked Witch. Her laugh was just too good I guess. Funny that she scared me as the Wicked Witch, but never as Bab's Bunny from Tiny Toon Adventures or as Dot from Animaniacs; she must of never used that iconic laugh of hers for those two characters.
t.

Hey, even as Babs Bunny, that voice of hers (when she did that even laugh) gives me nightmares.

James

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation966
Recent bookmarks