What's new

2019 TV DVD Predictions? (1 Viewer)

JamesSmith

Senior HTF Member
O.K. There’s a month left in 2018, so perhaps it’s time to make out predictions on what’s coming out next year. We’ve had a hard blow this year with the closing of www.tvshowsondvd.com, but there will still be some stuff coming out. Here are my guesses. Just so you know, I have no insider information on anything, just my own wishful thinking.
From VEI:
Jack and Bobby
John Doe
Jake 2.0
Hec Ramsey
McCloud (2nd season on)
Dear John 
From WB Archives
Colt 45
The Alaskans
The Rounders
Temple Houston
Wildfire (animated)
new Adventures of Gulliver
Goldie Gold
Filmation’s Tarzan part 2
Symbiotic Titan
Fred and Barney
Jayna of the Jungle 
from Shout (or whoever it is that’s putting out Police Story)
Medical Story
Caroline in the City
Have no Idea what studio(?)
Brady Brides
Captain Nice
Mr. Terrific
My World and Welcome to It
Trackdown
Super President
Garrison’s Gorillas
Midnight Caller
Suddenly Susan
the John Larroquette show
Gunsmoke, Love Boat...

Continue reading...

Last edited by a moderator:

John*Wells

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
O.K. There's a month left in 2018, so perhaps it's time to make out predictions on what's coming out next year. We've had a hard blow this year with the closing of www.tvshowsondvd.com, but there will still be some stuff coming out. Here are my guesses. Just so you know, I have no insider information on anything, just my own wishful thinking.

From VEI:

Jack and Bobby
John Doe
Jake 2.0
Hec Ramsey
McCloud
(2nd season on)
Dear John

From WB Archives
Colt 45
The Alaskans
The Rounders
Temple Houston
Wildfire (animated)
new Adventures of Gulliver
Goldie Gold

Filmation's Tarzan part 2
Symbiotic Titan
Fred and Barney
Jayna of the Jungle

from Shout (or whoever it is that's putting out Police Story)
Medical Story
Caroline in the City

Have no Idea what studio(?)
Brady Brides
Captain Nice
Mr. Terrific
My World and Welcome to It
Trackdown
Super President
Garrison's Gorillas
Midnight Caller
Suddenly Susan
the John Larroquette show

Gunsmoke, Love Boat, and Beverly Hillbillies will continue. Not sure about Bonanza. Step by Step, Perfect Strangers, the Wayun Brothers and others will continue on.

Feel free to give opinions, comments, etc. Waiting to hear what you think?

James

I’m hoping for Mayberry RFD season 2 and 3 from Warner Archive. I’m positive that Perfect Strangers season 7 and 8 are coming

tlc38tlc38

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Trent
Almost positive these will wrap up on dvd next year:
Alice
Step by Step
Perfect Strangers

“Hangin’ with Mr. Cooper” may finally get another season released from Warner Archive.

I’d like for “The Beverly Hillbillies” to get another season released but knowing the release history of this series, it’ll probably be 2024 before season 6 is released.

David Weicker

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
I’m hoping for Paradise (Guns Of Paradise) seasons 2 & 3 from Warner Archive.
More seasons of Charmed on Blu-Ray

And from the In-My-Dreams category - Remington Steele on Blu-Ray

ClassicTVMan1981X

Screenwriter
Real Name
Benjamin
Like James, I agree that Warner Archive should release the following:
Jana of the Jungle (note correct spelling of her name)
and also...
The Adventures of Gulliver
The Flintstone Comedy Hour (1972 TV series)
These are the Days
The Mumbly Cartoon Show
Skatebirds
C.B. Bears
Yogi's Space Race
The New Shmoo
The Flintstone Comedy Show (1980 TV series)
Trollkins
Wildfire
Fish Police

From VEI and/or CBS DVD MOD (preferably if already transferred to 1" video or DigiBeta):
Barefoot in the Park (1970 TV series)
Funny Face/The Sandy Duncan Show
Me and the Chimp
Serpico (TV series)
Blansky's Beauties
Who's Watching the Kids?
Makin' It (if rights to the Bee Gees songs, such as "Stayin' Alive," can be cleared)
Out of the Blue (1979 TV series)
Working Stiffs
The Associates (U.S. TV series)
Goodtime Girls
Madame's Place (might be a tough one with 95 episodes)
Star of the Family
The Renegades (1983 TV series)
Ryan's Four
Mr. Smith (1983 TV series)
Bronx Zoo
Duet/Open House
Day by Day
Dear John

~Ben

Last edited:

LouA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lou Antonicello
I'll be conservative on this and only predict that we'll see something interesting and vintage from Shout Factory. ( last year we got Sid Caesar and Erie Kovac's "Take A Look"). I think we may see another season of Beverley Hillbillies , and Gunsmoke Season 14 is scheduled for February. MAYBE SF will finally release Trackdown, and MAYBE Warner Archivers will finally clear Colt 45. I also think we'll get at least one old classic from Classic Flix

JamesSmith

Senior HTF Member
Also think VEI might put out
VR 5
Our Miss Brooks

Shout
might release:
Phyllis

Any other guesses?

James

Xphile620

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Andrew Blaker
I would pay just about anything to get Jack & Bobby on DVD. That is my Holy Grail release.

JamesSmith

Senior HTF Member
2019 has been a hard year for the TV DVD fan, but we've had successes that were better than what we deserved. Mr. Novak, A Man Called Shenandoah, Lucan, Lazarus Man, High Chaparral (a big release for tv westerns fans) etc. High Chaparral is continuing, so we have good news there. We got one season releases of The Love Boat, Beverly Hillbillies, and Gunsmoke; so we can be grateful for that.

I do think VEI and other studios will increase their short lived series releases over the next few years, as there are less and less "biggies to put out, but the trend will continue.

Wish the people who worked on the Batman 66 release could work on the Green Hornet series, and try to clear that up.

James

Last edited:

jcroy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jr
As a wilde assed guess, let's hope somebody gets the dvd rights to the Stephen J. Cannell catalog which was previously held by Mill Creek and Anchor Bay.

https://www.hometheaterforum.com/co...y-that-dallas-or-silk-stalkings.358015/page-2

This would be now out-of-print complete series dvd sets of shows like:

- Silk Stalkings
- Hunter
- 21 Jump Street
- Renegade
- Profit
- Pacific Blue
- The Commish
- Wiseguy
- Street Justice
- Tenspeed and Brown Shoe
- Booker
- Hawkeye
- Unsub
- Palace Guard
- Missing Persons
- Broken Badges
- etc ...

Perhaps VEI might take up this license?

Last edited:

jcroy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jr
Culling further through Stephen J. Cannell's back catalog, there's many short lived shows which haven't been released on dvd in america.

http://cannell.com/tv-shows.html
https://www.imdb.com/search/title?companies=co0026580&view=simple&sort=release_date,asc

Richie Brockelman, Private Eye (1978, 6 episodes)
The Duke (1979, 5 episodes)
Stone (1979-1980, 10 episodes)

The Quest (1982, 9 episodes)
The Rousters (1983-1984, 13 episodes)
The Last Precinct (1986, 8 episodes)
J.J. Starbuck (1987-1988, 16 episodes)
Sonny Spoon (1988, 15 episodes)
Top of The Hill (1989, 13 episodes)
100 Lives of Black Jack Savage (1991, 7 episodes)
Scene of The Crime (1991-1992, 23 episodes)
The Hat Squad (1992-1993, 13 episodes)
Traps (1994, 5 episodes)
Marker (1995, 13 episodes)

I doubt most of these shows would even be remembered, other than by some hardcore older timer tv folks.

If VEI or somebody else were to license the dvd rights for these Cannell productions, I would probably pick up the "Scene of the Crime" complete series anthology, and maybe Marker and "Top of The Hill".

I remember watching "Scene of the Crime" back in the day, and a few episodes of the short lived Marker.

https://uproxx.com/hitfix/cbs-late-night-scene-of-the-crime/2/
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scene_of_the_Crime_(TV_series)
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marker_(TV_series)
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Top_of_the_Hill

I'm guessing some of the later 80s and 1990s stuff were probably edited on videotape back in the day, which can probably be used for dvds. (The Cannell stuff on dvd released by Anchor Bay appears to have the telecine left in the video, such as Silk Stalkings).

Less certain about the earlier 80s and 70s stuff, which I'm guessing probably didn't use videotape for editing. If nobody was interested in syndicated reruns of these short lived Cannell shows, then most likely they would have to make new transfers.

bmasters9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben Masters
As a wilde assed guess, let's hope somebody gets the dvd rights to the Stephen J. Cannell catalog which was previously held by Mill Creek and Anchor Bay.

https://www.hometheaterforum.com/co...y-that-dallas-or-silk-stalkings.358015/page-2

This would be now out-of-print complete series dvd sets of shows like:

- Silk Stalkings
- Hunter
- 21 Jump Street
- Renegade
- Profit
- Pacific Blue
- The Commish
- Wiseguy
- Street Justice
- Tenspeed and Brown Shoe
- Booker
- Hawkeye
- Unsub
- Palace Guard
- Missing Persons
- Broken Badges
- etc ...

Perhaps VEI might take up this license?

Hopefully-- if they did, I'd get Hunter! I seriously regret not getting that one while I could, before it jumped up to where it is now on Amazon.

ClassicTVMan1981X

Screenwriter
Real Name
Benjamin
Speaking of the Stephen J. Cannell series on DVD, do the Region 2 (PAL) releases also have any Paramount Television logo following the SJC Productions "Typewriter" logo?

Here's the SJCP "Typewriter" logo followed by Paramount Television (taller peak Blue Mountain) at the end of a French rerun of Riptide from the late 1980s:

(a tape error on this rerun caused the Riptide theme to conclude under both logos; it's unclear if the Paramount theme is the 1979 or 1982 version)

Whereas, on Tenspeed and Brown Shoe, this Paramount Television logo (normal peak and 1978 theme) follows the in-credit mention of SJC:

~Ben

Last edited:

mrz7

Second Unit
Real Name
Scott Zuncic
Well considering it will be "Knots Landing" 40th anniversary next year (2019), I sincerely hoping that Warner Brothers will do justice to one of the longest prime time soaps and release a one and done complete series. It would be nice to get seasons 3-14 released from their vaults and onto DVD at least.

Other Holy Grails I hope make it to DVD:

"The Drew Carey Show" (at least hopefully by 2020.....when their 25th anniversary will be celebrated)

"Phyllis" (I believe this is the last of the "Mary Tyler Moore Show" spin-offs that Shout Factory has yet to release ("Rhoda" and "Lou Grant" are now finished)

"The Sonny and Cher Comedy Hour / Cher Show" - With Cher's recent regained popularity (new Abba album, "Mama Mia" appearance and Cher's Broadway play out in full swing, I'm hoping some company like Star Vista / Time Life will release more episodes of these variety shows. I've seen a lot of segments on YouTube and on a Chicago station near me, and would luv to see these shows on DVD.

"Empty Nest" - Don't know what the hold up is on this one, but sure wish it would make an appearance on DVD

"Our Miss Brooks" - What happened with this one? I thought they had this series already to release at one point? Still waiting!!!

"The Ropers" - The "Three's Company" spinoff is still on hold. It's only 2 seasons so hopefully Shout Factory or VEI can get this one out as a complete series.

These last 3 shows I doubt will ever make it to DVD, but here is hoping for 2019 and Beyond:

"Dear John" - Another great Judd Hirsch series he was in after "Taxi"

"Bette" - Bette Midler's one season series (cute show.....has Bette singing a lot of her songs)

"Good Time Girls" - Another short-live series that featured Annie Potts before she made it big on "Designing Women"

Hoping Warner Brothers, Shout Factory, VEI, Mill Creek, and Star Vista (Time Life) will consider some of these shows......especially "Knot's Landing" knowing there is a anniversary date tied to it in 2019. Fingers crossed!!! :)

Jack P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jack
Warner Archive went *another* year without giving the second and final season "The Eleventh Hour". I've given up trying to predict at this point because nothing seems obvious any longer and the market is drying up too much.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks