What's new

2018-2019 TV Schedule (Broadcast) (1 Viewer)

Garysb

Senior HTF Member
Is the CW trying to kill off Supergirl by putting her on Sunday night?

I was actually surprised Supergirl was starting on time in the fall. Melissa Benoist is appearing on Broadway this summer as Carole King in "Beautiful" until the beginning of August, which is about a month later than they usually start filming for the fall. Picture below is art for next season.

DdavtYXVAAAJKRF.jpg

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
My network TV watching gets smaller each year.

Sunday: The Simpsons
Wednesday: Riverdale
Thursday: Supernatural
The Good Place

I'll probably also check out I Feel Bad & Abby's (whenever that starts). Also, I'll watch Brooklyn Nine-Nine in the winter.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
My network TV watching gets smaller each year.
Mine is getting smaller this upcoming year, and is poised to get even smaller after that, which I'm grateful for. I've been following too many shows the last few years, to the point where it's crowded out other things I enjoy.

Based on the announced schedules, here's where I'm at for the fall:

Sunday:
  • "God Friended Me" - I just love shows like this. "Touched by An Angel", "Joan of Arcadia", "Early Edition", "Eli Stone", right up through the just-cancelled "Kevin (Probably) Saves the World". The world is a dispiriting place, and I like shows that make me feel just a little bit better about it. I liked Brandon Micheal Hall on "The Mayor", but I didn't much care for "The Mayor", so I'm happy to see him pop up on a show that's more interesting to me. Violett Beane is wonderful on "The Flash" as Jesse Quick, the speedster hero of Earth-2, so it's great to see her as the female lead here. This may be the new show I'm most excited about.

• "Supergirl" - It's never recaptured what I loved about the first season on CBS, but there's enough here I still like to keep me watching.

• "Madam Secretary" - I'm like half a season behind on this one. So whether I stick with it will depend on whether I manage to catch up over the summer.
Monday:
  • "DC's Legends of Tomorrow" - My very favorite of the CW DC superhero shows. And they're adding Matt Ryan's perfect portrayal of John Constantine to the mix, which makes it better.

• "Arrow" - I'm hopeful that the new showrunner will turn things around after the show's worst season yet. But it's going to pick up after one hell of a cliffhanger.

• "Manifest" - Sort of a reverse "Lost" meets "The 4400" . Perfect sci-fi genre catnip for me.
Tuesday:
  • "The Gifted" - Uneven during its first season, there was still a lot I really loved. I'll be glad to have it back.

• "The Flash" - Stuck with it this long, so I'll keep sticking with it. I have a feeling that there's going to be some really interesting plot elements set up in Tuesday's season finale.

• "Black Lightning" - The first season was mostly great, and I'm looking forward to seeing where the show goes next.

• "This Is Us" - But probably not until the next evening. This show gets me too emotional to watch right before bed.

• "black-ish" - The only Tuesday ABC comedy left that holds my attention.
Wednesday:
  • "American Housewife" and "Modern Family" (maybe) - I watched them this season because they were adjacent in the schedule to other ABC comedies I liked more. Without that kind of anchor, they might just fall off my schedule. Helping them a bit is that Wednesday is might lightest night for broadcast shows. Might just use it as a catch-up night, though.
Thursday:
  • "The Good Place" - The best half-hour comedy on television right now, period.

• "Legacies" - This latest entry into the "Vampire Diaries" universe isn't super-interesting for me. But Danielle Rose Russell has been excellent as Hope Mikaelson on "The Originals" this year, and since that character is the central protagonist on the new show, I'm going to give it a try.

• "Murphy Brown" - I liked the original show, so I'm going to give it a try. Not super hopeful, though. I've skipped most of the other nostalgia resurrections.
Friday:
  • "Speechless" (maybe) - Not one of my favorites; most of the characters are pretty one note. A show I watched because I liked shows around it. As with the Wednesday shows, it's helped by airing on a light night.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
My network viewing will also be reduced for the upcoming fall season:

Sunday: NCIS: Los Angeles
Monday: Legends of Tomorrow, Bull (will sample Manifest)
Tuesday: NCIS, The Gifted, This Is Us, NCIS: New Orleans (will sample FBI, New Amsterdam)
Wednesday: Modern Family, SEAL Team
Thursday: The Good Place, Will & Grace (will sample Murphy Brown)
Friday: MacGyver

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
Mine is getting smaller this upcoming year, and is poised to get even smaller after that, which I'm grateful for. I've been following too many shows the last few years, to the point where it's crowded out other things I enjoy.
Same here. During sweeps, I'm watching so much that I have to plan out how to fit in watching everything so I don't get behind on some shows. Fortunately, sweeps is winding up so I'll be down to watching about 5 shows a week.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
What a bunch of meh! I haven't looked at the new shows yet, but this is what I'm seeing with returning shows:

Sunday: Bob's Burgers; Family Guy; NFL
Monday: 9-1-1 (maybe, depends on how annoying Connie Britton becomes. I fast-forwarded most of her scenes this past season)
Tuesday: Lethal Weapon (I'll give the revamp a shot, but it's on a short leash)
Wednesday: squat
Thursday: Big Bang Theory, Young Sheldon, NFL, Will & Grace, S.W.A.T. I also watch Supernatural, but I'm watching with a friend on blu-ray, so we're still a season or two behind and don't watch the new episodes live.
Friday: Midnight, Texas; Last Man Standing

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
With SHIELD and The Orville not on the fall schedule, for the first time in I don't know how long, I don't think I'll be watching any scripted network programs this coming season.

I will watch whatever Gordon Ramsay show he's got at the time - I think that's Hell's Kitchen in the fall. But otherwise, there's nothing jumping out at me. Nothing really on cable either.

I am disappointed to not have a program to look forward to each night of the week; there's something very comforting about having that kind of routine. But I'm also okay with not watching something just for the sake of watching something.

Stan

Senior HTF Member
And rest assured if it dies on Sunday, it won't take long for them to move it at the first available opportunity.

Always thought it was odd that when and where a show is scheduled matters so much. Maybe a bit spoiled, but haven't watched a "live" show in many years. Everything hits the DVR, mainly to zap commercials, so don't really care when it's broadcast.

I can wait until the next day or later for viewing. A few things like "Survivor" I watch fairly quickly, trying to avoid spoilers, but for the most part, things can wait a bit.

A little extreme, but haven't even started "The Alienist" and that goes back to January.

Any word on "Ghosted"? I liked it but haven't seen anything about it. "Timeless" is sad, really good show, but I understand the numbers. Thankfully "MacGyver" survived.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
I've been doing a lot of photography in the last couple of months since the weather finally warmed up, so my TV viewing has been pushed to the backburner, I'm about a month behind on all my TV viewing at the moment. Need to make a dent to finish out the season, though.

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
Mine:

Sunday - nothing
Monday - nothing
Tuesday - Black-ish
Wednesday - The Goldbergs and Modern Family
Thursday - ABC's entire lineup, plus The Good Place via DVR (immediately after HTGAWM ends)
Friday - Speechless and Crazy Ex-Girlfriend

Pretty much all of the pilots that I think sound interesting are midseason

Modern Family in particular has been a shadow of its former self for some time, but out of habit I can't bring myself to stop watching it because I've been watching it since the beginning and I sill like the characters. I'm not really on board with a couple of the recent twists to The Goldbergs either, which I'll put in spoiler brackets for those who aren't caught up.
Erica dropping out of college, which seems like lazy writing and an admission they couldn't figure out what to do with her this year more than a service to the character, who has always been bright and intelligent in the past and should have succeeded in school; and Lainey somehow transitioning to the spinoff as a teacher despite being a college dropout who has never shown the slightest interest in teaching.
But the show overall has been so good for so long that I'm sure I'll continue watching it to see how that plays out, and because I love the characters. It would help a lot if I liked the show in the middle of the two -- Speechless has been the best thing in the Wednesday lineup the last couple of years -- and I wish they hadn't given that slot to American Housewife, which I find awful.

I originally suspected Speechless would move in order to give The Goldbergs spinoff the 8:30 perch, but didn't see American Housewife going there coming at all. I hope Fridays doesn't kill Speechless, and was hoping it might go to Tuesdays to get an after-Roseanne boost.

Last edited:

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
I've been a huge fan and cheerleader of Modern Family for a long time, but it really existed on fumes this past season. Next year should be the last for it.

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
Next year should be the last for it.

Agreed. The cast's deals go through Season 10, but not longer, and the creators have said that maybe it will be the end, but they haven't firmly committed to that. I think they should take notes from The Middle, which announced the end date last summer and produced an absolutely sensational final season leading into next week's finale. I'm going to hate seeing that show go, but it is going out the way it should, with its head held high while people still like it. That is something Modern Family deserves, but I don't think they've been that good for a while, and I'm really not sure if they can arc it out in a satisfying way now. I hope so, but the bloom is definitely off the rose at this point in time.

Doug Wallen

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
For curiosity sake, I'll probably look at the Magnum??? reboot.

Are we to assume that iZombie is gone or if picked up will it be a late starter again?

NeilO

Senior HTF Member
Murphy Brown is an interesting situation as the original series was not heavily syndicated nor were many seasons released on DVD. Therefore I doubt many people under 35 are familiar with it. A plus is that many of the original cast are back along with the creator Diane English . It is interesting because I doubt there will be much nostalgia for it which seems unique when compared to Will and Grace and Roseanne
I believe only the first season was released on DVD. Murphy Brown was a victim of the well-known music licensing problem which prevented further seasons from being released.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
I saw a teaser for The Cool Kids over the weekend, which left me intrigued by the cast alone: Vicki Lawrence, Martin Mull, Charlie Day, Leslie Jordan, David Allen Grier. It'll be paired with Last Man Standing, Fridays on Fox.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
khuranatech
Recent bookmarks