What's new

2009 MLB Thread (2 Viewers)

Philip Hamm

Senior HTF Member
Originally Posted by Mike Frezon

Pedro had another nice night tonight.
Yes. It's nice for me as an out of market Phillies fan to be able to see them occasionally on ESPN, Fox, and elsewhere. Nice to see them win, and Pedro was in good form tonight.

Jeff Gatie

Senior HTF Member
I saw the highlights of his last game, he was slinging it like the old days. He may not have 96 mph any more, but he doesn't need it with his movement. He's also still got the best change up in baseball and he knows how to use it like no other. He's also fearless, will throw any pitch on any count, and he's not afraid to come inside (or hit someone, if he has to).

Walter C

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Walter
Wow, this regular season is not over yet, and already, teams are releasing the 2010 schedules. I think this is the earliest that next season's schedules have been released, as far as I remember. At least I can do some advance planning for my SoCal trip in July 2010.

Ockeghem

Ockeghem
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Scott D. Atwell
I was impressed with Matsuzaka's performance last night. When he had no-hitter in the fourth, I had to check to be certain that neither of the 2009 N.L. co-Cy Young award winners, John Smoltz or Brad Penny, weren't actually pitching.

Walter,

Yep, I heard that this morning. One of the stories I heard on sports radio was that the Detroit Tigers were slated to play the Yankees and Red Sox in succession, and that the Yankees were slated to begin and end with Boston. I haven't verified any of this yet.

Walter C

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Walter
Sucks for any team to play Yankees and Red Sox in back-to-back series, especially on the road and late in the season if in a race, which is probably what the other teams in the division will have to do.

I was just looking at the interleague schedule for the Phillies, and apparently, their "geographic rival" is back to the Red Sox, playing 2 series against them, plus a series with the Yankees and Blue Jays, even though the NL East is suppose to face the AL Central. I know this will drive Mike crazy.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
It drives me crazy.

Interleague is pointless now.
the Phils if no other teams, play the same 2 or 3 american east teams every year.
they played the Jays twice THIS year.

How did the Jays and the Sox become a Phils rivalry?

ridiculous.

btw, MLB Net just had a live look into the game in Detroit.
Ernie Harwell was allowed to come onto the field to essentially say goodbye as he recently revealed an in-operable cancer.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
Originally Posted by mattCR /forum/thread/284474/2009-mlb-thread/900#post_3606129

Ockeghem

Ockeghem
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Scott D. Atwell
Originally Posted by TonyD

It drives me crazy.

Interleague is pointless now.
the Phils if no other teams, play the same 2 or 3 american east teams every year.
they played the Jays twice THIS year.

How did the Jays and the Sox become a Phils rivalry?

ridiculous.

btw, MLB Net just had a live look into the game in Detroit.
Ernie Harwell was allowed to come onto the field to essentially say goodbye as he recently revealed an in-operable cancer.
Tony,

Yes, I heard about this today on the radio. I'm thinking many of the greats who are still with us will be at that game. Maybe even many of the 1968 team -- who knows. I'd like to be there, too.

Ockeghem

Ockeghem
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Scott D. Atwell
Originally Posted by Mike Frezon /forum/thread/284474/2009-mlb-thread/900#post_3607020
Mike,

Thanks for verifying. :)

How about Nick Green at the plate last night! Think he slipped the home plate umpire a sawbuck or two? ;)

mattCR

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt
It's a hard habbit to break! Every other forum I'm in is largely UBB or VBulletin or PHPBB, and all of them work by the Vbulletin tags, so the [setup] stuff works in all of them across the board. This is the only board I come to that is in this format.

And I =hate= using a mouse to go up and select something and say "quote". I need to figure out the text term or method to signal quotes. It would make my life so much easier. Hell, I'm still bothered I can't hit tab 3 times and enter to submit.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Originally Posted by Ockeghem

How do Posada & Carlson get a 3 game penalty for that mess in the Yankees/Jays game the other night...after Beckett earlier got five games for throwing at a guy? And, they were instantly reduced from four games to three because they each agreed not to appeal?!? What kind of $*^&% is Bob Watson smoking? Is he going to change his "rules" every other day?

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
AJ Burnett got five games too when Padilla hit Teixeira twice in the same game. Both throws from Burnett and Beckett were above the head which is something Watson doesn't like at all if he thinks they were intentional.

Jeff Gatie

Senior HTF Member
C'mon Mike, I'm as big a Yankee hater as anyone in the universe, but everyone knows a starting pitcher gets 5 games because they want to be sure he misses a scheduled start. It's relatively useless to suspend a starting pticher 3 games when all he has to do is appeal until he makes his next start, then accept the suspension for the next 3 games, thus missing no games at all. It's very different for everyday players.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.