What's new

2007 at the Box Office (1 Viewer)

Lou Sytsma

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lou Sytsma
I assume with the additional theaters, due to the longer running time, that P3 is positioned to take a run at Spidey3's BO take. 4362 prints is lot of copies - they must be using onion skin to get them all out.

TerryRL

Senior HTF Member
4,362 theaters and more than 11,000 prints.

Pirates 3 earned $17 million from its Thursday night previews (8 PM-midnight shows). The film showed in 3,100 theaters last night, earning an average of $5,484 per-location.

Despite playing less than half of yesterday, the movie still manged to earn the seventh best Thursday mark in history.

BIGGEST THURSDAY MARKS
#1 "Star Wars: Episode III- Revenge of the Sith" $50.0 million ($13,661 per-theater average/ 3,661 locations) 1st day
#2 "The Matrix Reloaded" $37.5 million ($10,410 per-theater average/ 3,603 locations) 1st day
#3 "Star Wars: Episode II- Attack of the Clones" $30.1 million ($9,535 per-theater average/ 3,161 locations) 1st day
#4 "Spider-Man 2" $23.8 million ($5,735 per-theater average/ 4,152 locations) 2nd day
#5 "Independence Day" $17.3 million ($6,022 per-theater average/ 2,880 locations) 2nd day
#6 "The Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King" $17.02 million ($4,596 per-theater average/ 3,703 locations) 2nd day
#7 "Pirates of the Caribbean: At World's End" $17.00 million ($5,484 per-theater average/ 3,100 locations) half-day
#8 "Men in Black II" $16.5 million ($4,637 per-theater average/ 3,557 locations) 2nd day
#9 "The Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers" $15.5 million ($4,267 per-theater average/ 3,622 locations) 9th day
#10 "Wild Wild West" $14.9 million ($4,516 per-theater average/ 3,309 locations) 2nd day

I will be surprised if it opens bigger than Spidey 3, but this is a fantastic start and the movie is poised to have one of the top three biggest openings in history, as well as easily earning the biggest debut the Memorial Day holiday frame has ever seen.

As the Box Office Guru pointed out, the film's run time may be too much to take Spidey 3's record, but the fact that Monday is a holiday and Sunday will likely perform like a Saturday as a result will give the second-sequel a chance at bettering Spidey's $151.1 million opening.

Most are still predicting a massive four-day haul in the neighborhood of $160-$180 million.

Cory S.

Supporting Actor
Terry,

After seeing this film and judging from the crowd's reaction, I think this film will have far superior word of mouth than Spider-Man 3 had.

I wasn't a fan of Dead Man's Chest at all but after seeing this film, I've lightening, a tad, my discontent with the 2nd film. The wife and I are going again tomorrow morning just to make sure our enjoyment of this film wasn't a fluke.

I do hope that this film does really good business and has real good legs. Not a perfect film by a long shot but does what Shrek and Spider-Man could not this summer: it entertains to no end.

I have to say, this Pirates Trilogy is one of the oddest, yet most enjoyable trilogies we have. As of today, I'd have it over The Rings and Matrix Trilogy, just based on pure enjoyment, spectacle, and inventiveness...

Jason Harbaugh

Senior HTF Member
I was off by $5m so far. Great take for Thursday. Being able to play it twice at most locations sure helped. Still hopeful on my final tallies though. ;)

TerryRL

Senior HTF Member
Cory, the crowd I saw it with last night was also extremely enthusiastic about it. I also think it'll probably have stronger legs than both Spidey 3 and Shrek 3. The audience (which was mostly females and families) really reacted strongly to the movie, much in the way the midnight crowd I saw 'Dead Man's Chest' with did.

What was also interesting was that most of the audience remained in the theater to see the last scene following all the credits.

Overall, the biggest reactions came from the frozen toe gag, Jack talking to the various versions of himself, the "wet gunpowder" scene, Keith Richards appearance as Captain Teague (this drew applause, especially when he revealed the fate of Jack's mother), Jack fighting Davy Jones, Will dying, the emergence of the Flying Dutchman after Will assumed command, Becket's ship being destroyed (kickass work from ILM by the way), and the last shot of Will returning to see Elizabeth and their son following the credits.

Cory S.

Supporting Actor
Terry,

Yeah, those are all the spots that my audience, especially me, reacted to in a positive way.

I think this film is going to do some serious business until Fantastic Four comes out.

I have to admit, the ending with two specific characters really caught me off guard and gave some gravitas, not only to this film, but to the entire trilogy in hindsight. I mean, it was a really gutsy move to end it the way they do with the specific characters. Very, very inventive.

TerryRL

Senior HTF Member
I completely agree.

The development between those characters seemed to catch many in the audience off guard, judging by their overall reaction.

Pirates 3 has already tallied more than $58 million worldwide after launching in 41 overseas markets on Wednesday. Today the movie will be playing in 104 territories around the world.

Kevin Grey

Senior HTF Member
Saw Pirates at an afternoon matinee today and the reaction was generally subdued but certainly not hostile. It was a definite dropoff from the reaction DMC got at the opening day matinee I saw it with last year but, then again, this time the theater was only half full (the other auditorium was a sellout) and most kids aren't out of school so I imagine that accounts for some of the discrepancy.

Same with trailer reactions- even popular favorite Transformers got little buzz. The only one people really seemed to enjoy was the Enchanted trailer.

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member

Just got back from a Friday night show and the audience seemed very into the film. Lots of "appropriate" - ie, intended - reactions, not like the inappropriate laughing during Spidey 3. The crowd seemed to enjoy it a lot.

As for trailer reaction, VERY high for Transformers. The new Die Hard also got a good reception...

DavidPla

Senior HTF Member
Well according to tracking, it seems this Pirates is getting better reception than either of the first two films.

"Exit surveys across the United States for this latest installment in the blockbuster "Pirates" series gave the film among the highest numbers in Disney's history and placed it well above comparable scores for the previous two films in the trilogy. Responding to the opening night reactions and anticipated demand for the film, exhibitors everywhere were adding seats to accommodate the demand."

http://www.comingsoon.net/news/movienews.php?id=20644

Jason Harbaugh

Senior HTF Member
Just saw it with a sold out crowd. Overall positive reaction and there were still lines for the late shows as we exited. I thoroughly enjoyed it as well. People loved the Die Hard trailer and as always Transformers. I saw it at a digital theatre and man July 4th can't get here fast enough. :D

TerryRL

Senior HTF Member
We also have to take into account that opening four hours early (8 PM instead of midnight) might skew the opening day tallies a bit. The movie made $17 million just from those early screenings and that will take away from its Friday mark (rival studios have the Thursday mark being a bit higher). I still think the biggest hinderance to the movie is its running time in regards to Spidey 3's opening, on top of the webslinger facing basically zero competition during its record-shattering debut.

Again, what is in Pirates 3's favor is it will see big grosses on Saturday and Sunday, as well as challenge the Memorial Day (single day) record of $23.4 million head by "Shrek 2".

Initial reports have Pirates 3's Friday haul being in the area of $40-$45 million, minus its Thursday night previews. While many will scream "disappointing", this is on line with industry predictions which peg the movie having a four-day opening haul in the area of $160-$180 million.

Given the early reports, Shrek 3 and Spidey 3 may see bigger-than-expected Friday-to-Friday drops, but both should bounce back big on Saturday and Sunday, as well as pull in solid Monday numbers. The holiday should prevent Shrek from having a big percentage fall this weekend of more than 60%. The holiday frame should also stop Spidey 3 from having a third consecutive 50%-plus decline.

Make no mistake, this weekend is going to be VERY interesting theater in regards to the daily numbers, but at the end of the day, Spidey 3's opening records are probably in no danger of being broken this weekend.

DavidPla

Senior HTF Member

I guess that's where it get's confusing. If you add the 17 M to 40 M, then 57 M is pretty damn impressive for one day and 4 hours. I think Disney opened it earlier on Thursday so that it wouldn't have to compete for the opening day of "Spider-Man 3". But if its Friday is closer to 45 M, it might just have won it with over 60 M had it not opened 4 hours earlier.

Jose Martinez

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jose Martinez
According to Box Office Mojo estimates, POTC 3 made $43M on Friday. Probably won't break SM3's 3 day weekend record but still awesome in my book.

TerryRL

Senior HTF Member
Friday Estimates

#1 "Pirates of the Caribbean: At World's End" $43.0 million ($57.0 million)
#2 "Shrek the Third" $14.4 million ($164.7 million) 62% Friday-to-Friday drop
#3 "Spider-Man 3" $3.8 million ($293.5 million) 52% Friday-to-Friday drop
#4 "Bug" $1.1 million
#5 "Waitress" $750K ($3.3 million) 161% Friday-to-Friday increase
#6 "28 Weeks Later" $700K ($21.8 million) 58% Friday-to-Friday drop
#7 "Disturbia" $540K ($73.0 million) 56% Friday-to-Friday drop
#8 "Georgia Rule" $470K ($14.9 million) 58% Friday-to-Friday drop
#9 "Fracture" $290K ($35.8 million) 56% Friday-to-Friday drop
#10 "Away from Her" $200K ($1.8 million) 12% Friday-to-Friday increase

Earning $57 million in its first 28 hours of business, Disney's "Pirates of the Caribbean: At World's End" easily led the field on Friday. The movie's Thursday estimate was lowered to $14 million (apparently there was some confusion over what times the were to be included) and the movie pulled in $43 million on yesterday. The $43 million mark ranks as the tenth best single day mark in history, the fifth best opening day mark, and the fourth best Friday haul.

By Sunday night the movie should have in the area of $140 million in the bank and had Disney not previewed the movie on Thursday night, it likely would've ended up having the second best opening weekend mark in history. Now, Disney execs may have to "settle" for third. Still, the movie is on pace to easily earn the biggest Memorial Day Weekend haul in history.

As for the initial confusion over Thursday's numbers, some rival studios had counted the 8 PM shows thru to the 3 AM shows, while others focused on the 8PM to midnight round of screenings. At the end of the day, Disney lowered their estimate by $3 million (other studios still say the number is bigger) and the full day screenings pulled in $43 million. Had Disney not opted to open the movie four hours early they would've earned a better opening day mark than 'Dead Man's Chest' ($55.8 million) did upon its opening last year. That would've given 'At World's End' the second biggest opening day mark in history, as well as the second best Friday marks, and the second best single day haul (all behind Spidey 3).

Given the movie's exit polling thus far, this one could be in for a very leggy run in theaters. Reactions from movie-goers has so far been completely opposite from film critics. Pirates 3 could end up being the biggest performer of the three monster May openings this year.

"Shrek the Third" took a steep 62% slide off of its Friday-to-Friday numbers, but should see business increase today and tomorrow. "Spider-Man 3" was off by 52% and, like Pirates 3 and Shrek 3, will see increases in business during Saturday and Sunday showtimes, with Monday pulling in Sunday-like numbers.

"Bug" got out of the gate with a weak $1.1 million, it should pull in about $5 mil over the four-day holiday. "Waitress" expanded to 394 more locations this weekend (bringing its total theater count to 510) and saw a massive 161% increase to its Friday-to-Friday numbers. This one could turn into a very solid performer for Fox Searchlight.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
A big problem for "Bug", I think, is the lack of screens. On any other weekend, this film would have launched with at least 2,500 theaters. Because of the Spidey 3/Shrek 3/POTC 3 trifecta, It only launched in what, 1,600 theaters? Particularly if those 900 theaters wouldn't have been multiplexes, that makes a big difference.
I think the tentpoles are going to be gobbling up screens worse than usual all summer long, making it even trickier to counter program with smaller films.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
At the end of the day, I'm sure Disney will be happier with earning the overall largest summer gross than setting one-day or one-weekend records.

Sounds like AWE would be a monster for weeks to come.

Cory S.

Supporting Actor
After seeing it a second time this morning, this film will get great word of mouth...just based on the two audiences I've seen it with.

Everyone seem to get every joke and everyone seemed really engaged with it, even if it is too long.

I still think this film can easily make 370 million. It just depends on what happens next weekend.

TerryRL

Senior HTF Member
Through yesterday, Pirates 3 is sitting on a worldwide mark of $142.5 million, thanks to the $85.5 million the movie has earned overseas since opening on Wednesday. By the end of today its worldwide tally will have passed the $200 million mark.

With a CinemaScore rating of A-, on top of the Yahoo score of B+, Disney should feel very good about Pirates 3's longevity. And as Cory eluded to, next weekend will be a good barometer of how well the movie will perform in the coming weeks.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks