What's new

2001: A Space Odyssey is a 4K/UHD Release possible? (1 Viewer)

Michel_Hafner

Screenwriter
Bump! We have a year to go! Hope Warner is busy on that 8K scan / frame by frame restoration / 4K Ultra HD disc + Blu-ray. In fact I have inquired through their website, which I am sure was a waste of time other than allowing me the satisfaction. BTW the current Blu-ray appears to have been targeted to a 25GB single layer disc as the size of the main feature is about 24G. In addition the overall bit rate is a pathetic 13.4mbs! Warner Archive releases are consistently 35mbs. I believe the current Blu-ray, although it looks pretty darn good, was low pass filtered and somewhat sharpened. That filtering would presumably permit the thrifty bit rate, even using the outmoded VC1 codec, to avoid untoward compression artifacts.
That was Warner standard procedure for many years, Harry Potter and all. Then something changed and they started actually using the quality potential of BDs.

trajan007

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Larry C Bender
Someone please tell me that Warner is working on a 50th Anniversary (04/02/2018) presentation for this film (maybe with Trumbull's participation. And a new scan. And the missing 17 minutes.). Just wishing out loud....
Looking forward to a 50th anniversary edition. In 70mm web site is reporting that Fotokem has produced a new 70mm DTS print of 2001 for the Music Box in Chicago.

Last edited:

Allansfirebird

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Sean
I'd love a 50th anniversary set from Warner or Criterion that includes the deleted scenes and interview segments that have been confirmed to still exist intact and in good condition. WB could make a load of cash from pretty much all Kubrick fans from that unseen footage alone.

marshman1138

Stunt Coordinator
Criterion did it once before in 1989 for CAV LaserDisc. There is history there. Kubrick even supervised that transfer. Of course, that transfer was done from a 35mm reduction, not the 65mm neg. MGM/Warner would be doing the world a favour to fund Doug Trumbull's documentary for the 50th also!

cinemiracle

Screenwriter
Real Name
Peter
WSS was truly one of the greatest musical films of all time. I saw it many times in 70mm when it was originally released.Luckily it was shown without an intermission.

DP 70

Screenwriter
Real Name
Derek
Looking forward to a 50th anniversary edition. In 70mm web site is reporting that Fotokem has produced a new 70mm DTS print of 2001 for the Music Box in Chicago.
The new 70mm Datasat print in the UK has the Original 6 track mix, 5.1 mix and 8 channel mix.

Allansfirebird

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Sean
Criterion did it once before in 1989 for CAV LaserDisc. There is history there. Kubrick even supervised that transfer. Of course, that transfer was done from a 35mm reduction, not the 65mm neg. MGM/Warner would be doing the world a favour to fund Doug Trumbull's documentary for the 50th also!

I've got this disc, but I don't remember any of the delete scenes being on there in a visual form. I seem to remember they've got transcriptions of the interviews, but that was all. I haven't looked at it in a while, so I could be misremembering.

marshman1138

Stunt Coordinator
I've got this disc, but I don't remember any of the delete scenes being on there in a visual form. I seem to remember they've got transcriptions of the interviews, but that was all. I haven't looked at it in a while, so I could be misremembering.
Yeah, no deleted scenes. Just the film in about the best presentation you could have at that time outside of a proper theatre. I have never seen it in 35mm, only 70mm.

DavidMiller

Screenwriter
Real Name
David Miller
The Seattle Symphony is going to be playing the music live to the film here in Seattle. Never been a huge fan of the film but it does have great music.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
The Criterion box set for 2001: A Space Odyssey was the first, or one of the first laserdiscs I bought waaaay back when it was first released. I got it used at The Laserdisc Exchange, a small mom and pop shop that sold and bought back discs. So I got a deal on one that's barely used.

I don't think it has any deleted footage. Mainly I remember the film with Arthur C Clark at a NASA facility where the Apollo or similar craft were being assembled. A promotional film for 2001. It was all very cut and dry. I think the supplementary materials for the Criterion laserdiscs of Blade Runner and Forbidden Planet were exemplary.

Angelo Colombus

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Angelo Colombus
The Criterion box set for 2001: A Space Odyssey was the first, or one of the first laserdiscs I bought waaaay back when it was first released. I got it used at The Laserdisc Exchange, a small mom and pop shop that sold and bought back discs. So I got a deal on one that's barely used.

I don't think it has any deleted footage. Mainly I remember the film with Arthur C Clark at a NASA facility where the Apollo or similar craft were being assembled. A promotional film for 2001. It was all very cut and dry. I think the supplementary materials for the Criterion laserdiscs of Blade Runner and Forbidden Planet were exemplary.
I bought my Criterion CAV laser box set from Big Emma's for $30 and still have it for the great extras on it and also the cool art work on the box cover.

Winston T. Boogie

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Pike Bishop
WB could make a load of cash from pretty much all Kubrick fans from that unseen footage alone.

I would love to see the footage that was not used or cut from his films as well. I think the issue is, and people close to Kubrick have commented on this I believe, Kubrick made clear he did not want footage he cut to be seen again. If I recall I think Warner Brothers once provided an answer about this saying they would honor Kubrick's wishes and never release any cut footage in any way even after his death.

Now, when money is involved anything is possible and people at these studios change so I'm not saying it could never happen but it seems unlikely to happen...at this time anyway.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
Keep in mind these new prints are still being made from an unrestored element - they'll look better than older, worn prints but the film probably does need some work. With the 50th anniversary coming next year, you'd think now would be a great time to do that work. Here's to hoping they'll surprise us.

I don't ever expect to see those deleted scenes, though I sure wish we could.

I'm going to visit the Stanley Kubrick archives in London later this year, and there's a wealth of material there to explore...but no deleted scenes.

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
I would love to see the footage that was not used or cut from his films as well. I think the issue is, and people close to Kubrick have commented on this I believe, Kubrick made clear he did not want footage he cut to be seen again. If I recall I think Warner Brothers once provided an answer about this saying they would honor Kubrick's wishes and never release any cut footage in any way even after his death.

Now, when money is involved anything is possible and people at these studios change so I'm not saying it could never happen but it seems unlikely to happen...at this time anyway.

In my opinion, there is little, or nothing in the deleted scenes of interest. And need for the shots added.

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick

Although WB did finally release Kubrick's films in widescreen even though the director preferred 1.33:1, and EYES WIDE SHUT uncut. As David Mamet wrote, "Things Change."

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks