What's new

Pre-Order 2001: A Space Odyssey (4k UHD) Available for Preorder (1 Viewer)

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
I'm giving serious consideration to catching the 10:15pm showing tonight. I just finished work, I'm a ten minute walk from the theater (or a two minute subway ride) from my office, and I work an afternoon rather than morning shift tomorrow.

"It's the biggest no- brainer in the history of mankind." to quote a certain radio commercial- and soo appropriate!

When will these opportunities to see 2001 on these IMAX screens present themselves again? Not likely. I say go as many times as your eyes, ears, and mind can stand it. Go every day. You won’t regret it.

Well, it's not like I needed *that* much convincing... alright, I'm going. With AMC A-List, it's not costing me anything either!

RobertR

Senior HTF Member
What some people may be witnessing that may appear that way could be the result of minor issues at their local IMAX theater. IMAX uses a dual projector setup for their digital presentations. Some of the anatomies described here sound as if they could be the result of those projectors not being properly aligned before showtime. According to IMAX SOP, each theater is supposed to run a calibration each and every morning which keeps those two projectors aligned perfectly. If a theater decides to not run that calibration, you could wind up with minor issues as a result.
That's a good point. The red fringing I saw looked very much like projector misconvergence. This gives me the idea that it will look even better on my projector (minus the huge screen size, of course). I anticipate that the black levels will be much better at home. I've been very impressed with how deep the black levels are on UHD movies. The sound in the theater was excellent.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
That's a good point. The red fringing I saw looked very much like projector misconvergence. This gives me the idea that it will look even better on my projector (minus the huge screen size, of course). I anticipate that the black levels will be much better at home. I've been very impressed with how deep the black levels are on UHD movies. The sound in the theater was excellent.

That's the one potential knock on the IMAX xenon 2K projection - the black levels aren't as good as the new laser system can pull off. But they're still good enough that I'm satisfied with the presentation.

Which screening?

The digital restoration at the Empire. Lincoln is only showing the film version during the afternoon (they show The Dark Knight in the evenings) so I've already missed that. And truth be told, I think I'd rather see the pristine digital version over the unrestored version, even if that means a smaller screen.

RobertR

Senior HTF Member
Gotta say, the clarity of the digital restoration made it more obvious than in previous showings that the prehumans were standing in front of a painted sky. The 2001 equivalent of the wire holding the cowardly lion's tail.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
To me, I thought that was much more obvious in the unrestored version than in the digital restoration. On the unrestored version I can clearly see the fabric of the front projection material. On the restored version, I can’t.

Osato

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim
It would’ve been nice to include a trailer to the follow up 2010: The Year We Make Contact.

I guess that one will have to wait for Christopher.

Seriously., I enjoyed watching my 2001 blu ray of the film last night. My schedule is too full right now to attend a screening.
I loved seeing it several years ago on a 100 foot screen.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
I’m at intermission.

I sat a bit closer this time and noticed a tiny number of shots that didn’t look as good as some of the others. They seemed to correspond with what I remembered as problem areas in the unrestored version. But if I hadn’t been sitting so close and staring I’m not sure that I’d notice. It probably will stand out even less on home projection screens and TVs.

I just moved up a row in preparation for the stargate sequence. I’ll skip the LSD but I don’t mind the sitting close part.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
9P4i.gif

Ray H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ray
Just got back from another IMAX screening today (my third and likely last). Honestly, I think the issues described (red fringing, halos, etc.) are all part of the original photography or baked into the OCN. I was looking out for the red fringing as you and others have described. And I saw them. I just got back, popped in the 2007 Blu-ray, and you know what? They're there too, in particular the scene that stood out is the conference scene on Clavius. Just harder to see on a 65 inch TV versus a 59 foot wide screen. Most of the issues I had with the IMAX presentation (thick halos around characters or scenes that looked like they were lacking in detail) are all present on the Blu-ray.

As far as projector misalignment goes, maybe this could explain the pixely/jagged edges I've noticed on many IMAX screenings (not just this film). Always assumed it was due to the screen material or something. Not so bad this go around, but I caught an IMAX screening of 2001 Sunday at a different theater and it looked terrible. Splotchy details and jagged edges - most notably around text and lines. Thought they may have cranked up the image processing or something, but realized it was probably something to do with the projectors.

RobertR

Senior HTF Member
Just got back from another IMAX screening today (my third and likely last). Honestly, I think the issues described (red fringing, halos, etc.) are all part of the original photography or baked into the OCN. I was looking out for the red fringing as you and others have described. And I saw them. I just got back, popped in the 2007 Blu-ray, and you know what? They're there too, in particular the scene that stood out is the conference scene on Clavius. Just harder to see on a 65 inch TV versus a 59 foot wide screen. Most of the issues I had with the IMAX presentation (thick halos around characters or scenes that looked like they were lacking in detail) are all present on the Blu-ray.

As far as projector misalignment goes, maybe this could explain the pixely/jagged edges I've noticed on many IMAX screenings (not just this film). Always assumed it was due to the screen material or something. Not so bad this go around, but I caught an IMAX screening of 2001 Sunday at a different theater and it looked terrible. Splotchy details and jagged edges - most notably around text and lines. Thought they may have cranked up the image processing or something, but realized it was probably something to do with the projectors.

I don't know...I find it difficult to believe that they're part of the original photography. I don't ever remember seeing them in the 70 mm showings. I suppose you could argue that film projection blurred them out, but...... about the only way I can think of to settle this question is to blow up some frames from the scenes in question.

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
I'm trying to be optimistic, if Josh is right the UHD could be quite beautiful if you are correct, based on my 4K experience ,there is going to be a glaring flaw that is quite distracting in about a third of the film.

Not a third. Probably under a thousand feet of dupe in the film.

Reactions: PMF

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris

Please repeat after me...

“They’re unrestored dupes.”

CarlosMeat

Second Unit
Real Name
Carlos
To me, I thought that was much more obvious in the unrestored version than in the digital restoration. On the unrestored version I can clearly see the fabric of the front projection material. On the restored version, I can’t.

Josh ,do you mean the sections of reflective material used or texture ? The Blu ray has a lot of visibility of these sections but not the laser IMAX I saw. This however could have been masked by the fact that it looked like there was clipping not just there but on other scenes I mentioned.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mycuu
Recent bookmarks