What's new

Pre-Order 2001: A Space Odyssey (4k UHD) Available for Preorder (1 Viewer)

CarlosMeat

Second Unit
Real Name
Carlos
One of my most eagerly anticipated titles ever. The delay a is little disheartening after getting an announced date.

Osato

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim
61192544-5492-45C6-811E-7807EC80D8BB.png
One of my most eagerly anticipated titles ever. The delay a is little disheartening after getting an announced date.

Well there is in the meantime....

https://www.hallmark.com/gifts/stuf...-stuffed-animal-limited-edition-1KDD1549.html

And see attached for the HAL ornament!!

DP 70

Screenwriter
Real Name
Derek
I have seen on Film Tech that the 70mm print of Ready Player One has a trailer of 2001 attached.
No 70mm prints in the UK.

So if this is getting a new 70mm release and this is from 65mm and the 4KUHD is from that as well
we will all be very happy.

Also The Sound of Music is having a 2 week run in 70mm on the BFI Southbank from the 18th May.

Last edited:

Vincent_P

Senior HTF Member
From that article:

"According to Cannes, for the first time since the original film’s release, this 70mm print was struck from new printing elements made from the original camera negative meaning it’s a true photochemical film recreation."

I'm pretty sure the 70mm print (prints?) that were struck in 2001 were new prints. Perhaps they came from vintage IPs, but the print wasn't faded and was in great condition. I saw it projected at the Loews Astor Plaza in NYC and it looked gorgeous on their huge screen, even though the theater stupidly removed the intermission.

Vincent

Vincent_P

Senior HTF Member
"Nolan said, “One of my earliest memories of cinema is seeing Stanley Kubrick’s 2001: A Space Odyssey, in 70mm, at the Leicester Square Theatre in London with my father. The opportunity to be involved in recreating that experience for a new generation, and of introducing our new unrestored 70mm print of Kubrick’s masterpiece in all its analogue glory at the Festival de Cannes is an honour and a privilege.

What a bizarre statement (the unrestored comment). I wonder if this is a sloppy translation of a French-language press release? I imagine what Nolan is actually referring to is the lack of "updated" special effects, and he isn't actually touting a complete lack of restoration as being a good thing?

Vincent

Alan Tully

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alan
Yeah, I'm sure there's a mistake or two there. I understand that the originals are not in a great state. If there's an interpos/interneg floating around, they must be a few years old. I'd think it's more likely that a print has been made from the new scan & restoration made by Warner. Whatever, I won't be going to Cannes to see it, but I'm very much looking forward to reading some reviews of the new Blu-ray

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
I'm pretty sure the 70mm print (prints?) that were struck in 2001 were new prints. Perhaps they came from vintage IPs, but the print wasn't faded and was in great condition. I saw it projected at the Loews Astor Plaza in NYC and it looked gorgeous on their huge screen, even though the theater stupidly removed the intermission.

Likewise, that was a great presentation.

I think Warner made two prints back for the 2001-2002 domestic re-release. Because many of the venues it played at no longer had 70mm capability, Warner supplied not only the film print but also the 70mm projector to theaters that needed it. If memory serves, there were two new prints struck for that run, and they'd leapfrog from city to city during the revival. (It was scheduled more like a band going on tour, rather than a standard movie release, in that it didn't play simultaneously across the country.) I remember seeing the NYC showing, and then seeing it again in Boston about a month later. The prints looked slightly different, so I presume I saw both of the new prints.

The Museum Of The Moving Image in Astoria shows 2001 every summer in 70mm -- I think they're showing one of the two prints from the 2001-2002 reissue. It's generally in good shape, but has picked up some scratches along the way. They have been showing the same print from year to year, because I recognize the scratching happening in the exact same place. (If you happen to see that print, look out for the green lines appearing during the scene where Bowman is in the pod, arguing with HAL about opening the doors.)

It would be great if the Nolan presentation was filmed for inclusion in an upcoming disc-based re-release. I am sincerely hoping that the new remaster is presented on regular Blu-ray in addition to UHD. While I will undoubtedly buy it in UHD one day, right now I am still just in HD, and have no plans to upgrade in the foreseeable future - but I'd love to retire the current (underwhelming) Blu-ray.

CarlosMeat

Second Unit
Real Name
Carlos
This certainly explains the delay and hopefully that the film has had a restoration the we might see later.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks