What's new

Pre-Order 2001: A Space Odyssey (4k UHD) Available for Preorder (1 Viewer)

Garysb

Senior HTF Member
Since they closed the Ziegfeld several years ago I can't think of a decent sized theater in NYC that could take advange of a 70MM print . Ah for the days before the Rivoli theater was first twined and then torn down.

Reactions: PMF

Alan Tully

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alan
I don't think a quick scan of a newly made trailer released to YouTube should be taken as representative of either the new 70mm prints (created in the analogue realm) or the upcoming UHD release (for which the transfer source hasn't been announced, and may not even have been done yet).

I agree, it's just a trailer, but if the new Blu-ray does look like that flat greeny mess, then there's going to be online fireworks, & I'll save myself a few bob by not buying it.

...& thinking about it, it is only a trailer, but why not get the colour right for it?

Last edited:

KeithDA

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Keith
I bought the Taschen book about the making of the film a couple of months ago, only £12 on Amazon UK, it's over £36 now

Does anyone know how well this book compares with Bizony's earlier book '2001- filming the future' - published in 2000?

9781854107060.jpg

lark144

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
mark gross
Since they closed the Ziegfeld several years ago I can't think of a decent sized theater in NYC that could take advange of a 70MM print . Ah for the days before the Rivoli theater was first twined and then torn down.
They could book it into the IMAX screen at Loew's (now AMC) Lincoln Square.

RobertR

Senior HTF Member
Yet more wreckstoration. Yuk. Every other new release of a vintage film is coming out like this now. I hope this, along with music's loudness wars, is just an extended fad. Perhaps one day this period of madness will be looked back on as a pointless marketing craze, like 1980s-style colorization or "Electronically Reprocessed Stereo" and "Duophonic" recordings of the 1960s and 1970s.

Regardless, cue the usual confirmation bias-ridden posters who will swear blind 2001 was aways meant to be thoroughly tealed and you can't judge its original colour palette based on years of mistimed home video video releases, blah, blah, blah...
The problem is, Hollywood's adoration of teal and orange has been going on for over a decade, and shows no signs of abating. What an annoyance. The fear is that this is what we'll be stuck with, since it seems unlikely that there will be a subsequent corrected version. This was the title that had me finally seriously considering getting a UHD player, and these screenshots have thrown cold water on it.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
Does anyone know how well this book compares with Bizony's earlier book '2001- filming the future' - published in 2000?

View attachment 45475

The Taschen book is a significantly expanded version of the text, containing a lot of new material that's not in the earlier book. The writing style is similar, though.

Jim*Tod

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jim
Probably right. I cannot imagine the Kubrick estate, which has been very exacting in the past, would allow anything less than a perfect presentation of the film. Still waiting to see just what venues are going to show this.

RobertR

Senior HTF Member
First. It is a trailer. Second. It is on YouTube. Hardly, the medium for accurate film representation. Thirdly. The trailer is being seen on mostly uncalibrated computer monitors.
Big differences can be seen in post #54 on "uncalibrated computer monitors".

Konstantinos

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Konstantinos
First. It is a trailer. Second. It is on YouTube. Hardly, the medium for accurate film representation. Thirdly. The trailer is being seen on mostly uncalibrated computer monitors.

Can you give me an example of a trailer of a restored film where the subsequent Bluray had significantly altered colors?
I can't think of any right now.
What I see in these trailers I see in the blurays themselves.

Anyway, we'll be here (hopefully) in a few months where the blurays will be released and we'll see if it was representative or not.

Vincent_P

Senior HTF Member
Can you give me an example of a trailer of a restored film where the subsequent Bluray had significantly altered colors?
I can't think of any right now.
What I see in these trailers I see in the blurays themselves.

Anyway, we'll be here (hopefully) in a few months where the blurays will be released and we'll see if it was representative or not.

Videa's first trailer for TLE's 4K restoration of SUSPIRIA used an earlier HD video master.

Vincent

Malcolm Bmoor

Second Unit
Real Name
Malcolm Blackmoor
WHITE TERROR - meaning the fear of a white balance. For anyone who doesn't know, and respecting the level of technical knowledge on this forum, a white balance is when a cameraman presses the white balance button on the camera whilst it's looking at a white card. Any colour cast anomalies created by the location and lighting are cancelled out and white is seen as pure white.

Colour manipulation is easily achieved by using a warmer or colder card so that the camera compensates.

My impression is that the development over the last quite a few years of highly colourful but highly manipulated, non-realistic colour in television was caused by creating the new post of POST PRODUCTION COLOUR GRADER/CONTROLLER. The objective became not realism but artistic colour changes.

That in itself merely copies what has always happened in film and tv - highly detailed colour grading in order to match shots and create a perticular look.

But readers of this forum know that it frequently goes much too far and results in people asking why a production now has a green, yellow, blue or golden cast.

Is it a case of misuse of facilities? This will remain controversial but looking at comparisons a few posts further back I'll add my opinion that the current look of 2001, judging from the trailer, exhibits profound WHITE TERROR. A particular cast is administered rather than have any pure white in the picture.

A most honourable recent exception is MY FAIR LADY. The Ascot scenes are as gloriously white as intended.

I've seen 2001 many times and always in 70mm and can endorse that its white balance was perfect. I believe that we're constantly seeing the products of immature people who can't resist fiddling to prove how clever they are at playing with the colour temperature.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks