What's new

2-way or 3-way center needed? (1 Viewer)

tonyKwok

Stunt Coordinator
Hi guys

I'm a little confused about which setup would suffice in my situation. I currently own a pair of Sansui towers. Their specs as as follow:

3" Tweeter
4" Midrange
10" Woofer

Freq range: 32 - 22,000 Hz

I am looking to purchase a new center channel in the next month or so. I'm really leaning toward the JBL EC35 based on the good reviews I've seen on this board. My question for you guys is if I have 3-way floorstanders, is it necessary to get a 3-way center to match? I've also had my eyes on a few other centers that are 2-way (EC25, Athena AS-C1, Paradigm CC-170) I know the ideal condition is to get matching LCR but I figured if I at least start with a center from a company that I plan to also buy L/R mains from later, then I should be fine. So what are your thoughts on 2-way vs. 3-way centers? and how they should be matched up w/ the fronts?

tony

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
2-way vs 3-way shouldn't matter, just get the best one you can afford, because a wimpy center will tend to show it's weaknesses right away. EC-35 should work fine.

I believe the AS-C1 is said to not be that great of a center, but I haven't heard it myself.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks