What's new

2 Sets of 5.1ch Inputs and PreOuts for Mains (1 Viewer)

Lin Park

Second Unit
How many receivers on the market have both of these options? I can only find the Sony ES STR-DA3000ES. I don't mind spending that kind of money but I was hoping for several different options at several different price points.

Thanx,
Lin

Ed Moxley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ed
Are you talking about 2 sets of the 6 analog inputs, for sacd and dvd-a? Or are you talking about multiple digital inputs? Most HT receivers have multiple digital inputs. I've not heard of one with multiple analog inputs for 5.1, although that doesn't mean they don't exist.

Lin Park

Second Unit
I am talking about 2 separate sets of 6 analog inputs - in my case one for SACD and one for DVD-A. I was all set to get the Sony STR-DE995B which actually has one set of 7.1 inputs and one set of 5.1 inputs. Unfortunately, it lacks the preouts that I need to drive my mains through a separate 2 channel setup. Believe me, they do exist but I'm hoping there are options beneath the $1k price point that meet my requirements.

Drew_W

Screenwriter
The 2000ES has 2 sets as well, as do the older equivalents (i.e. 4ES, which is going for much less than a grand on ebay).

Wayne Ernst

Senior HTF Member

Actually, a used 4ES just sold the other day in the F/S section for $400 (U.S. $$). Pretty good price if you ask me.

Lin Park

Second Unit
Drew_W, does the 2000ES have PreOuts for anything except the subwoofer? The sites I've visited don't mention them. It seems that very little of the Sony low end equipment offers PreOuts.

Ed, I already have a Panasonic RP-91 and a Sony 555ES both which I am thrilled with. I'm not big on universal players right now but thanks for the idea.

Phil A

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Phil
I have to agree with Lin. Most of the mid to lower priced universals make compromises. A stand alone (non-video) player like the 555 is going to likely sound better on CDs too since it won't be using the video bitstream to output PCM CD audio. There are few and far between less compromising usiversal players and they're not cheap. I have a universal in the bedroom system which feeds multiple places. In the main system, I have separate players and I have a separate DVD-A player I'm holding onto for the basement which should be done in several mos.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield

Good choices, Lin. ;) I have the same equipment, and have been thrilled with the performance of the Sony on both redbook CDs and SACDs.

As an alternative to a receiver or pre/pro with dual 5.1 analog inputs, you could always use an a/v switcher. It will require one extra set of 6 analog cables, but it does open up lots of other receiver possibilities.

I am using two of these Radio Shack a/v switchers to connect my RP-91 and Sony 555ES players to a Pioneer Elite 47TX receiver. I cannot notice any degradation in sound quality versus connecting one of the players directly to the receiver.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
balajipackersmovers
Recent bookmarks