What's new

2 channel or 5 channel? Receiver or amp? Suggestions..... (1 Viewer)

Joel Br

Auditioning
I have a pair of PSB Image 5T's . I now need something to power them. They are going in a smaller 12.2x12.5 room. I listen to a lot of jazz, classical, smooth, music, but also some real nice upbeat tunes at times. These will also be playing my DVD's. My question is what do I want to power these an amp or receiver? On my old setup I had a cheap KLH 5 channel receiver, but I had a 5.1 system. WOuld it be pointless to purchase another 5 channel receiver with only 2 speakers? I don't plan on adding any speakers anytime soon at all. So, let's say I go 2 channel, I didn't really use the tunrer on the receiver at all, so I guess I could careless about that. I just want something that will provide audio for my dvd, computer (possibly), cd player, and tv. I know the receivers usually have more than several inputs you can use, but I'm not too familiar with amplifiers. I was also told that since my speakers are rated at 93db I don't need a lotof power to push them, but if you guys could please give me some input as to what to look for. I will buy used equipment and am hoping to stay around $200 if possible, I can go higher if needed though.

scott>sau

Stunt Coordinator
Hi Joel,
A separate power amp usually sounds best. You get more power and headroom with an amp. An amp makes sound and music sonically cleaner and clearer even at low listening levels, not just when at full throttle. If you are not using this for HT, or PCHT and not worried about a tuner, an amp may be better. You really do not need the video, or audio switching capabilities of a receiver in this application. eBay, or a pawn shop may have one in your price point. :star:

chung_sotheby

Supporting Actor
$200 is pretty tough to work with. I would suggest looking for some DIY integrated amp designs or maybe trying to luck out on a quality int. amp on Audiogon or Ebay. You wont need more than about 10w/c to drive your speakers in your room.

Joel Br

Auditioning
Will they still sound good at 10 w/c? What about the Onkyo TX2811? It's only $99 refurbed will that be a good buy?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks