What's new

2.1 vs 5.1 suggestions on either (1 Viewer)

ripcityblazer

Auditioning
Real Name
adrian
i am a college student with a lower budget and i recently had my computer speaker set die. so i have begun research into getting my own home theater system. initially i have been looking at getting a quality set of bookshelf speakers and trying to find a vintage tube amp to drive them i also have an extra sub that is not being used for anything so i was thinking that i should go with the bookshelves. but after reading i keep seeing people raving about getting into a 5.1 can anyone help point me in the right direction im sure people ask this all the time so sorry for that. i was leaning strongly to the paradigm atom's before and haven't had any time to listen to 5.1set ups other than my parent, they, have a denon driving jbl speakers at home that sound pretty good. and i had jbl computer speakers the weird blob shaped ones they lasted for about 4 years, i just don't want to be buying new set up in a few years id rather save and wait and get a good quality long lasting set up in the beginning. also all music is run off computer and itunes and i do have a descent collection of vinyl and turntable id like to hook up to it. majority of it is for music but movies will also be watched using the system as well as the occasional call of duty and its going to be in small apartments for a while so i don't need to blow my socks off just nice clean sound.

-first do i go 5.1 or 2.1

-then do i go vintage or budget newer. receiver

-then suggestions in either direction as i said the atoms were top of my list in the price range.

thanks for any help and sorry for the potentially redundant question

-Adrian

Jason Charlton

Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason Charlton
Hi Adrian - welcome to the forum!

I would suggest starting small and working your way up. Speakers represent the single biggest "investment" in any system - they will far outlast any other component you get, so shop wisely.

A pair of Paradigm Titan bookshelves would be a good start. A common upgrade path is to start with modest bookshelves for mains, then later move them to the sides/rears as surrounds and get a new front three speakers. This way, you make the most of your initial investment.

As for a subwoofer, if you're starting with modest bookshelves, you might consider getting a subwoofer sooner rather than later. There are some decent performing budget subs from Dayton available from www.parts-express.com, but not sure how that fits into your current budget. Get the largest sub you can afford - 8" models really don't cut it.

As for the reciever, I don't know how well any truly "vintage" gear will support a dedicated LFE channel. You may be better off getting an inexpensive 2.1 receiver - maybe even check craigslist for a used one to tide you over for now.

In my experience, the receiver is one of the components that is most likely to become "outdated" and need replacing, so from my perspective, there's no need to go all out on a receiver until you're in a position to need it's advanced features. You didn't mention how many video sources you have, but for now, I would plan on running video through the TV, and reserving the receiver for audio only - it will help you keep expenditures down for now.

Sadly, the phono input is likely to become one of your bigger challenges when it does come time to get a nice receiver. Phono inputs are slowly disappearing.

Hopefully others will chime in with their thoughts and suggestions, too. Good luck in setting up your system!

ripcityblazer

Auditioning
Real Name
adrian
thanks for the info

yeah there is really only one video input at this point from my computer to the tv and i use the headphone jack out of my computer for the audio so the receiver would be only audio are there any specific details i should look for in purchasing a receiver besides 2.1 and audio input abilities. ohms... watts.... or is most stuff supportive of the titans i think i have a 12 in sub in my parents attic that i can use for the set up as well. also specific brands to avoid in the receiver or to look for there are a couple of places that sell referbished vintage ones near me for pretty reasonable prices im looking to have it all shipped to the door for around 400 should i step up my speaker selection?? and what should i be looking to spend on a receiver? again sorry for the millions of questions... i still have so much to learn.

ripcityblazer

Auditioning
Real Name
adrian
also any good quality online sources to order such components i have been finding it hard to locate the speakers online other than the paradigm website.?

Jason Charlton

Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason Charlton
Don't obsess over wattage numbers - they really don't mean a whole lot. Better to just play it safe and get speakers that have an impedance of 8 ohms (pretty much all the Paradigms) and the higher the sensitivity (dB) the better.

Sorry, I mentioned the Titans in my post, but you had alluded to the Atoms in your post.

With Paradigm, I'm not sure you can order them online from anywhere but their site. Hopefully, though, there's a local dealer in your area. Local dealers are a great resource to go and audition speakers before you buy (bring your own CDs, too). They often sell at about a 10% discount over MSRP (at least that's been my experience with PSB - another Canadian speaker manufacturer).

Another option to consider are the SBS-02 bookshelf speakers from SVS. They are an internet-direct company (so only order from their website) and are very often recommended on this forum. They have a great return policy - full refund (minus return shipping) up to 45 days. Most folks here rave about these speakers.

For the receiver, Denon, Onkyo, Yamaha, and Pioneer are all frequently recommended around here. Receivers from Sony are not very highly regarded. www.ac4l.com is a good site to look for deals on older or factury refurb. gear. Make sure if you buy online that you buy from an authorized dealer. Check the manufacturer's website for a list of authorized Internet resellers. www.amazon.com is another great resource. Finally, not all stereo amps will have the subwoofer pre-out. Make sure you find a model that does (only one of the two Onkyos at ac4l has a sub-out).

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks