What's new

1980's films not on Region 1 DVD. (1 Viewer)

Jon Hertzberg

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jonathan
Paradise (1982)
In the White City
Cruising
The Burning
Hey, Good Lookin'
Baby, It's You
Lassiter
Carny
Don't Cry, It's Only Thunder
Gabriela
Night Games
Those Lips, Those Eyes
Soup For One
Ticket to Heaven
Melanie
Heartaches
One Deadly Summer
Urgh! A Music War
Fast Walking
The Final Terror

Brian-W

Screenwriter
ah, El Norte...great flick...made my own DVD from a VHS tape...Joysticks, another winner, made my own DVD from the laserdisc.

Hoping for remasters of both films...

Todd Stout

Screenwriter
I see a few films on that list that I would love to have on DVD including The Wild Life, Private School, Paradise, Zapped!, and Twilight Zone: The Movie.

I haven't seen any mention of The Decline of Western Civilization Part II: The Metal Years so I'll toss that one out there. I certainly hope that makes it to DVD sometime in the near future.

Adam Scott

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Adam Scott
Indeed....does anyone know why Twilight Zone: The Movie was never released in Region 1, or if it ever had and was put into out of print status? :crazy:

Ray_R

Screenwriter
Real Name
R. Ray Rogers II

I figure it's because of the unfortunate helicopter accident resulting in the untimely deaths of Vic Morrow, and two young local children. Really gruesome and John Landis went to court over it for I think involuntary manslaughter or something similar. Never has been released in any Region and with the Warner chat earlier this year, they said it could be coming to DVD. Well, as soon as some legal things are taken care of. Perhaps in 2007. I have no idea what the Directors' chose for the aspect ratio for each segment or if it's all 1.85:1 since there seems to be very negligible cropping. Or maybe it's just open-matted?

I'll update this post again as soon as I edit the first one by adding more titles.

NO SPOILERS! And if you're going to multi-post, please refrain from doing so and try to keep it in one by multi-quoting.

Steve, I think I'll hunt for a copy of Harry and the Hendersons as soon as I go region free in about a month. Is it OAR and anamorphic? I'm going to buy the NeuNeo/Helios HV-2085, not the Oppo...

Geez, alot of the titles I've seen I barely even remember since it's been such a long time since last watching them.

Patrick.C

Second Unit

I don't think that the accident would hold up the dvd release, as that story was completely omitted from the film, even for its theatrical release.

Patrick.C

Second Unit

Yes, it was originally supposed to be released 7/11 but Amazon and other online retailers are showing 10/31. Media Blasters' own site still shows the 7/11 date.

Alan Lee UK

Stunt Coordinator
Paul Simon's 1980 movie One-Trick Pony still awaits a DVD release. Am I the only person in the world who likes this movie?

Jon Martin

Senior HTF Member

Are you sure? I remember seeing it, in the cable version. It was re-edited, but the Morrow segment was still there.

Steve Christou

Long Member
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Christou

That small segment of the John Landis/ Vic Morrow story was obviously removed but the rest of it was always there.

I saw film clips of the accident on tv, you could see Morrow struggling in the water holding the two children, the helicopter hovering nearby tipping over, spinning blades hitting the victims, horrible.

You can read all about the incident and the ensuing court proceedings at crimelibrary.com.

Brian-W

Screenwriter

Really? Your recollection doesn't match the crimelibrary link: "A massive spray of water hides from view the terrible moment of death. The bodies of Morrow, Renee and My-ca are never discernible on film."

I doubt footage like this would be shown on television - usually hidden from the public because of the carnage, and out of respect for the victims and their families not to mention it actually at that point became a crime scene.

dailW

Stunt Coordinator
hbo had a documentary about court cases and the landis case was one of them and during the court case they played the footage of the twlight zone incident and it was the most disturbing thing i've seen.as for the movie how the story ends is the story fades out in a brown-orange glow.

walter o

Supporting Actor
there is one of those "death tapes" that used to populate the video stores, and it is in one of them, along with other gruesome Hollywood death/crime photos.

Brian-W

Screenwriter

I'm just skeptical given how it was described by court patrons, but I was unaware the footage leaked. However, I'd like to see a video clip, digitize it and ftp it to me if possible.

(update)

Is this the footage?

This clip plays out just like the court description (not that I want/need to see something more graphic)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks