What's new

1900 French BR Box set with new 4k transfer (1 Viewer)

Peter Neski

Screenwriter
This is a region B set with French subtitles which can not be removed ,
The set includes plenty of extras in English ,and a thick picture book which has a little text in French
The early making of Documentary found on the Eureka set is included with French subtiles
The new 4k restoration is a improvement in sharpness ,and seems more colorful
Storaro did this transfer too ,This is still not a perfect transfer because of the history of the film

This set is clearly worth it if you have a region free player

Ernest

Supporting Actor
The set includes plenty of extras in English ,and a thick picture book which has a little text in French
The early making of Documentary found on the Eureka set is included with French subtiles
Storaro did this transfer too ,This is still not a perfect transfer because of the history of the film

Peter the OPPO 105 and 203 and LG 870 (players I own) Include a feature called subtitle shift. Subtitle shift allows you to move the subtitles up or down. For the French BluRays with no off subtitle command these players allow you to move the subtitles off the screen. The subtitles are still there you just don't see them. I recently purchased the Charles Bronson movie the Machinist from amazon.fr and moved the subtitles off the screen completely. Peter these players. OPPO and LG are also Region-Free.

lark144

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
mark gross

"Novecento" is one of my favorite films. Purely by accident, I saw Bertolucci's original cut at the G&W building at a screening, which I fell in love with. I think I've seen almost every cut of the film that has been exhibited in NYC. I also own two versions, one on DVD & one on Blu, which is the Olive. I've been considering getting the Eureka, but so far haven't gotten around to it. This French set sounds like something I need to have, though I have a number of questions.

1) Is the English track on this French edition? Are there English subtitles?

2) Does this version still have what I assume is scanner noise that was very prevalent on the Olive Blu and is apparently less obvious on the Eureka?

3) When you say, "This is still not a perfect transfer because of the history of the film", are you referring to the fact that because the film went though many cuts, this history is part of the negative? Or do you mean something else?

Thanks!

Peter Neski

Screenwriter
Peter the OPPO 105 and 203 and LG 870 (players I own) Include a feature called subtitle shift. Subtitle shift allows you to move the subtitles up or down. For the French BluRays with no off subtitle command these players allow you to move the subtitles off the screen. The subtitles are still there you just don't see them. I recently purchased the Charles Bronson movie the Machinist from amazon.fr and moved the subtitles off the screen completely. Peter these players. OPPO and LG are also Region-Free.
well I have that feature on my 93 ,but it doesn't work totally on this title ,

Peter Neski

Screenwriter
"Novecento" is one of my favorite films. Purely by accident, I saw Bertolucci's original cut at the G&W building at a screening, which I fell in love with. I think I've seen almost every cut of the film that has been exhibited in NYC. I also own two versions, one on DVD & one on Blu, which is the Olive. I've been considering getting the Eureka, but so far haven't gotten around to it. This French set sounds like something I need to have, though I have a number of questions."
N

Peter Neski

Screenwriter
1) Is the English track on this French edition? Are there English subtitles? Yes English track ,but forced French subtitles

2) Does this version still have what I assume is scanner noise that was very prevalent on the Olive Blu and is apparently less obvious on the Eureka? While many scenes look fantastic, some don't because of the many cuts the film went through over the years ,the Eureka was
a bigger bit rate than the Olive one , this is a new 4k scan ,where those were 2k

3) When you say, "This is still not a perfect transfer because of the history of the film", are you referring to the fact that because the film went though many cuts, this history is part of the negative? YES they say 700 frames were missing from the cuts ,and restored those digitally using a vintage element held by Paramount
Thanks![/QUOTE]

Peter Neski

Screenwriter
this does get rid of some of them,thanks

lark144

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
mark gross
1) Is the English track on this French edition? Are there English subtitles? Yes English track ,but forced French subtitles

2) Does this version still have what I assume is scanner noise that was very prevalent on the Olive Blu and is apparently less obvious on the Eureka? While many scenes look fantastic, some don't because of the many cuts the film went through over the years ,the Eureka was
a bigger bit rate than the Olive one , this is a new 4k scan ,where those were 2k

3) When you say, "This is still not a perfect transfer because of the history of the film", are you referring to the fact that because the film went though many cuts, this history is part of the negative? YES they say 700 frames were missing from the cuts ,and restored those digitally using a vintage element held by Paramount
Thanks!
[/QUOTE]

Thanks so much for the quick response!

AnthonyClarke

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Anthony
I have a couple of Oppo players.... the 83 and the last model they produced, the 203. A word of warning though ... they are not natively region-free ... they must be modified. Many retailers of course offer this feature, but it is not standard.

Ernest

Supporting Actor
I have a couple of Oppo players.... the 83 and the last model they produced, the 203. A word of warning though ... they are not natively region-free ... they must be modified. Many retailers of course offer this feature, but it is not standard.
Anthony I buy all my players, OPPO' LG and Panasonic from 220 Electronics so they are all hardware modified for all region play.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks