What's new

16x9 enhanced mode: make sure dvd player is in 16x9 (1 Viewer)

DaleI

Stunt Coordinator
I always wanted to know why the anamorphic dvds looked so squished on my Wega TV when I went to 16x9 enhanced mode on my TV. Well, it turns out I had my dvd PLAYER in 4x3 mode and not in 16x9. I changed it to 16x9 and duh---what a dramatic difference. Even have less black space at top and bottom of screen now.

Mark Fitzsimmons

Supporting Actor
I found the same thing. When using a Vega or similar TV with a 16:9 enhanced mode, set your dvd player to 16:9, and don't turn the compression on for non-anamorphic DVD's.

elMalloc

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Reuben
How large a difference do you see in anamorphic 16:9 compared to normal 16:9?

I don't want technical definitions, what do you see with your eyes.

Thanks,

ELmO

elMalloc

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Reuben
Here is what I have:

27" Panasonic NONHDTV.

I connect game systems with SVIDEO. I sit 4 feet away...I don't see any scan lines in games or DVD movies (component). I can see scan line in cable if I am less than 3 feet away.

So it is different with larger TVs though....but with a larger TV I won't be sitting that much farther away (6-7 feet), hopefully 43" is sufficient.

-ELmO

Ron Shaw

Stunt Coordinator
Not just a reduction in scan lines, you also see a sharper picture, since you have more scan lines making up the image (kinda like running your computer monitor at a higher resolution). I find it makes a big difference.

Michael Reuben

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Reuben
I don't want technical definitions, what do you see with your eyes.
A much more detailed picture. When a DVD player downconverts an anamorphic disc for display on a 4:3 TV, it has to toss out 25% of the image information stored on the disc.
Scan lines are an issue, but it's the difference in resolution that's most noticeable. The bigger the screen, the more noticeable it is.
M.

jeff peterson

Supporting Actor
Actually, it's not a REDUCTION in scan lines but an INCREASE which causes a higher resolution. Anamorphic uses ALL of a displays possible scan lines to create the image (at least on 1.77:1 images) while non-anamorphic only uses approximately 3/4 of them.

elMalloc

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Reuben
So should I get a rear projection TV?

Compare a directview 36" HDTV with a rear projection 50" HDTV both with all lights off, running progressive scan anamorphic Toy Story 2 !!!

Great comparison.

ElmO

Mark Fitzsimmons

Supporting Actor
To clarify, it's actually neither an increase or decrease in scanning lines. It's just that the scanning lines are less noticable because they are closer together due to them being focused on the widescreen image.

Chuck C

Senior HTF Member
To clarify, it's actually neither an increase or decrease in scanning lines. It's just that the scanning lines are less noticable because they are closer together due to them being focused on the widescreen image.
Oh right, exactly.

Chris PC

Senior HTF Member
So a TV with the "16 x 9" enhanced mode is basically a TV that lets you use your DVD players output in 16:9 and the TV does the "anamorphic squeeze" for you? Am I getting this right?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks