What's new

$1500 CAD (~$1100 USD) for a 5.1 set up (1 Viewer)

Rick CH

Agent
For receivers, I think a really good value would be a Kenwood 6070, if you can find one (they're discontinued). Last time I saw one at a Best Buy in TO (about a month ago, so you may not find any around), it was $450.

I will also recommend Canadian speaker brands for the best value. What didn't you like about the B&W and Energy speakers you've heard? B&W is stronger in the midrange frequencies (guessing you listened to 300 or 600 series) and Energy is fairly neutral and laid-back. Perhaps you'll like the sound of speakers with brighter high frequencies, e.g. Paradigm, Axiom, and Totem.

Hi Fi 2000 and Audio One are other Toronto-area Paradigm dealers. Axiom used to have some dealers in town, but they've gone to internet-only sales (I think). To demo Totems, try Bay Bloor, the Sound Room (2458 Kingston Rd), or American Sound (Yonge & 16th Ave). Keep in mind that Totems cost more and the only system that would fit in your current budget would be the Dreamcatcher 5.1 system (which has quite good sound).

Andrew Pratt

Senior HTF Member
If you want to get a HK I'd highly suggest looking at what www.eCost.com has available. You can then use their Buy Canadian link which sets you up though the boarderfree service which basically means they handle all the brokerage etc so you end up with a known cost to your door. I got my DVD player from them and it couldn't have gone any smoother.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks