What's new

119" or 133" Screen for this room? (1 Viewer)

Hi guys,

We're moving into a new place next week and my old 65" RPTV will be sold.

Planning on picking up a Panny AE700 from Costco, and trying to nail down a good screen size.

My current choice of screen would be the Dalite High Power, 16:9/1.78 ratio. I would love to go with a silverstar, but can't justify paying well over $2k for the screen instead of $1k or so.

The question is, how large a screen can I go with? The room width is 12 feet, and our viewing distance will be 15.5' back. Considering either a 119" (diag) or 133" (diag)screen.

Will the AE700 put out enough light for a 133" (diag) screen? Ambient light will be pretty low, there's 2 small windows which I'll have dark curtains in front of. Walls are a white/cream color as is the carpet. (Nothing I can do about that).

Thanks in advance.

P.S. If anyone has some decent gear for sale at a wicked price, please send me a message. Looking for a new THX certified amp/preamp/receiver, new front speakers (Klipsch), a screen, cables, the works.

Nod, I was originally thinking 100", but I've always been one to go for overkill. (Hence my 700hp Corvette Z06). ;)

One thing I forgot to mention, the ceilings are vaulted and it gives the room a very big feel. Ceiling height where the screen would be is 10 feet, climbing to 20 feet towards the rear (basically goes straight up to the 2nd story of the house).

Thank you very much for your input.

I wish there was some easy way I could 'rent' or borrow a screen in the SF Bay Area to try some on for size without having to return one. Was considering picking up the Dalite screen from costco, but it's a 4:3 format. (What are they thinking?!?!)

Cees Alons

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cees Alons
The reasoning behind a "very large" screen could be a future HD projector!

I think you may want the 119" screen, because you need to reserve some space to the left and right for your main speakers. If you can fit it, however, why not the 133" screen? You can always project a smaller image (but never a bigger one) than your screen size allows. Later, if you got to HD, you won't have to change your screen!

BTW, the maximum size of the image is mostly dictated by your viewing distance: you won't want to have to move your head left and right to comfortable see the whole of the image! Nor do you want to see the scanning lines too distinctly.

Make sure your projector can produce an image that wide from the distance where you have to place it.

Personally, I would hesitate to choose the "High Power" (gain: 2.8 and very small viewing angle: 25 degrees) surface. In my experience DA-Lite "Cinema Vision" (gain 1.3, angle 45 degrees) is certainly more than enough and won't lead to hotspotting.

Here is a helpful page on DA-Lite's site for some aid in choosing the proper screen. Perhaps you knew that one already.

I use a slightly smaller (80 x 60") Cinema Vision screen for several years in a room about the same size as yours and I will replace it by a larger one (and 16:9) soon.

Cees

Parker Clack

Schizophrenic Man
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Parker
Bill:

I would look into the Carada projection screens. They offer some great solutions at less money than most screen companies out there. Give Dave a call and tell him what you are wanting to do with the projector you will be getting and he will be able to get you set up with the right screen for your room. His service before and after the sale is fantastic.

With you vaulted ceiling it will give you a much larger apparent field of view so I am like Cees in recommending a larger screen. As I recommend to many though I would first mount the projector where you want it in the room, project the image on to the wall that you will be using for the sreen and it will give you a good idea of what size screen you want to go with.

Parker

I'd certainly be open to another brand of screen like Carada, looks like they make some very nice stuff, but they don't seem to have a pulldown screen.

I was planning on going with an electric pulldown screen so that when we're not watching movies, it transforms back into a 'regular' living room. =)

Besides dalite, are there any others I should be looking into for electric pulldown?

Thanks for all the input guys. Kinda leaning towards the 133" now.

Cees Alons

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cees Alons
Bill,

As I said, I have a DA-Lite now too (and yes, an electrical one), but you may be interested in Stewart Filmscreen Corp. I may go for one of those myself for my replacement!

Cees

David Noll

Stunt Coordinator
Here is a different view on screen size. The bigger the screen, especially when sitting close, will make your eyes tired because of all the scanning of the image. You can only see a portion of the screen at one time so your eyes constantly scan picture at a high rate. We do want to be comfortable watching hour after hour. Just something most people don't consider.

David

Parker Clack

Schizophrenic Man
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Parker
I kind of look at screen size in a room as to an approximation of what I would normally like in a theater. For example, I don't like setting in the front row or the back row. I don't like setting off to the side. I like setting in the middle row spot on.

So if I were to set up a screen in my own HT I would try to get as close as I can to what I like in a theater.

Bottom line for me is play around with the image on the wall first. See if you like the size you see (don't worry about clarity, etc. just he size). Make any changes to the projected image size and then go buy your screen.

Bill:

I agree with Cess. For a pull down motorized screen I would go with Stewart. You will pay more but Stewart builds some of the best out there.

Wes

Screenwriter
Real Name
Wes Peterson
I have a 12ft wide theater and a Panny 500 Pj, I run a 124" 16;9 screen and it's just perfect. My front row is at around 14ft and that is where I prefer sitting. To me bigger is better.
See my site!

Wes

Glenise

Supporting Actor
Maybe if you can view the movies on a wall at both sizes before deciding. I think either size would be great. My screen is 119" and I'm happy.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
royalserena
Recent bookmarks