What's new

11-06 New Line Chat (1 Viewer)

Luke T

Grip
Ooh, cool. This'll be easy for New Line 'cause I've only got one unreleased title I want to see on DVD from them:
Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles II: The Secret Of The Ooze
That one and a special edition re-release for the original TMNT movie would be nice.

Jason Seaver

Senior HTF Member
I'd be asking for The Stupids, but it's unfortunately up against the most insane night of television in recent memory.

PerryD

Supporting Actor
I would love for them to re-release "The Mask" and "Mortal Kombat" in new anamorphic transfers. Adding DTS would be a nice bonus too, since both had DTS laserdisc versions.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
I'd like to ask them about they're plans for the eventual FOTR disc :)
Be ready, this will soon be closed in favor of a "spontanious" chat :)

Duncan Harvey

Stunt Coordinator
just read the transcript - not terribly inspiring was it?
It underlines to me the value of having threads discussing chat topics before the chat, as there would be a good chance of getting some "wish list" questions done and dusted before the event.
By this I mean the time wasted on asking about theatrical releases (not dealt with by the video dept) and films which the particular studio dont have the rights to.
Then the chat could actually be more focussed.
I know that the owner is not keen on this, but it would stop some chats from being merely "we dont have the rights to that title"...

Tom Ryan

Screenwriter
Ooh baby, let's hear about a Dumb And Dumber Platinum Edition! I'd snap that bad boy up in a second, the current one's barebones and four years old!
-Tom
[Edited last by Tom Ryan on November 08, 2001 at 03:01 AM]

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
{stephanie_lambert} What else can you tell us about your plans for the Lord of the Rings DVDs. Especially Fellowship of the Rings?
{new_line} We have no more information about the DVD release of this title yet.
Hmm. That's a really strange and lame answer (as were most of their answers the other night). You see, Peter Jackson has made no secret of the fact that he's working on the DVD editions of the LotR trilogy pretty much side-by-side with the theatrical versions of the films.
Note that it's 5 in the morn as I type this, and I'm not gonna go looking for the references right now. But I know that even I can find numerous examples of where PJ has said this. I know that the missus can find those references quicker than I. But I'm sure, if challenged, some other HTF'ers will probably oblige before I get home from work tonight. :)
If the question asked was going to be strictly about the theatrical release of the LotR films, I would have kindly suggested to my wife that this wasn't the place to ask that question. However, the query focused on the DVD plans, which are known to be underway. I would find it unlikely that PJ is making those DVD plans without the knowledge or involvement of New Line's Home Video Dept.'s top brass!
An answer like "oh, we can't possibly reveal that at this time and steal Peter Jackson's thunder" would have been MUCH more acceptable...and expected. But Stephie couldn't let the chat go by without asking for more than they'd given. Their answer to Jeff Kleist's earlier question about JUST the LotR DVD's packaging scheme was "there are no firm details regarding the DVD release at this time". Well, they could have given us SOME hints, right? Not details, but ideas and tentative plans. A bone to chew on, so-to-speak. Steph just wanted to prompt them to discuss it *SOMEWHAT*, as it is "New Line's most ambitious DVD project ever". Something to talk about while waiting in line to buy tickets on Dec. 19th. :)
The guys from New Line at the chat were "Mike Mulvihill, VP, Content Development; Joe Yamamoto, Manager, Content Development focusing on DVD menuing and DVD ROM; and Jesse Torres, Director of Video Post Production focusing on audio and video content".
I don't want to bad-mouth ANY studio who takes the time to come here and chat with us. But, with apologies to Ron and Parker and others, I HAVE to say this about the New Line chat: With so many high-level dudes there whose job focuses on development, they seemed to know very little about what was coming down the pike! I know others feel the same way about this chat.
frown.gif

'Nuff said. Thanks,
------------------
DAVE/Memphis
TV-DVD.jpg

MORE TV ON DVD, PLEASE!
Do you like TV on DVD? Then check THIS out!
.....http://www.tvshowsondvd.com/.....

Duncan Harvey

Stunt Coordinator
Dave - my comments were more aimed at the Jason X than LOTR, but I agree with you on the bland corporate speak re LOTR - the chat has to be seen as a missed opportunity.
Fundamentally though, many of the most recent chats have been a disappointment, with irrelevant questions being asked.
Maybe we should have a post from the administrators before a chat with some guidelines, eg no theatrical questions as these guys arent from that department etc.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
It underlines to me the value of having threads discussing chat topics before the chat, as there would be a good chance of getting some "wish list" questions done and dusted before the event.
By this I mean the time wasted on asking about theatrical releases (not dealt with by the video dept) and films which the particular studio dont have the rights to.
Everybody -- and I mean Everybody had the chance
to ask a question during the chat.
If you want a particular question asked, please
make the effort to attend the chat in person.
I am proud of the few individuals that did attend,
and I give their questions more merit because they
asked it in PERSON.
All the complaints about questions not asked come
from those that don't attend these chats.
------------------
ronbo.jpg

Ronald Epstein (pronounced like the English "Ronald Epstein")
Circa 2000
Home Theater Forum Administrator
All forum questions & to get on our private forum mailing list (new members)... Email: [email protected]
Problems with the webpage or site? Contact WEBMASTER
Email Packy [email protected]

Prentice Cotham

Supporting Actor
The answer in regards to the foreign and art house flicks was disappointing. They have a lot of great flicks they could be releasing and it's not happening. Leolo, Naked, Spanking the Monkey...to name a few.

Duncan Harvey

Stunt Coordinator
Yeah Ron, but what about time differences - its not always convenient for those of us outside the US to get to ask our questions.

Chris Beveridge

Second Unit
Duncan, it's not easy for a lot of people in the US to make them either, especially on the east coast. We're almost always dealing with the studios, which are all west coast based. A chat starting at 10pm is when a lot of folks have to be asleep, being up at 4 or 5 in the morning. Ah well, it's why none of my questions get answered, since I never attend.
------------------
Chris Beveridge
Webmaster, www.animeondvd.com
Animation and stories for those who like to think outside of the Disney box

CamiloCamacho

Stunt Coordinator
First of all, let me say that i think New Line is the studio with the greatest commitment to DVD. I think only FOX could stand with them.
In the chat, they answered all the questions i had, mortal kombat rerelease and Nightmare on Elm Street 5 Unrated.
I`m a little disapointed because no rereleases of these titles are on plan, but i hope the chat put these titles "on the line".
Note to NewLine:
Altough i do not share some of your policies (like no spanish on any of your latest disc), i realize that you put all the effort to please the die hard fan. Nightmare On Elm Street Collection is the my "dream" disc by excellence.
First of all, it comes with a image quality really great, i mean even today releases don´t get such visuals like these video releases(anamorphic widescreen). Then you not only please the die hard fan with the original soundtrack but also the Home Theater fan with the 5.1 remixes.
And when other version is avalaible (and you can put it), like in Freddy´s Dead, you put both. The extras are other story, all directors talking about the movies, fans, WoW.
Thank you New Line.
By the way, i can`t believe that warner has a so different policy with their releases. Thank god they don´t absorve New Line.
------------------
http://www.dvdprofiler.com/mycollect...lias=Jugernaut

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
quinnedunn
Recent bookmarks