What's new

1080p 24fps - HTPC? (1 Viewer)

David Ruiz

Second Unit
I'm seriously considering building myself a really, really good HTPC and getting a Blu-Ray burner for it to play Blu-Ray movies from to my projector instead of buying a stand-alone blu-ray player which I am not really interested in because you don't have the kind of control over it that you have with a HTPC.

Anyway, I've been reading a lot lately that the newer standalone players output blu-ray movies in 1080p at 24fps instead of 60 fields per second like the first stand-alone players did and now I'm wondering what would happen if I used a burner to play back my blu-ray movies through my HTPC. Would they output at 24fps? Would I not have any control over that? Is the video card responsible for the output? I'm just not sure how this would all work on a computer.

I mean, with a stand-alone, you just plug it in to a projector that accepts it and that's it, but with a computer... what is controlling the output? Is it possible to have 24fps out of a computer?

Parker Clack

Schizophrenic Man
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Parker
David:

I would think it would be up to your card but if you use the HDMI outputs on the card the frame rate would be set by the DVD and the player. Just because the new player is rated at 1080p 24fps doesn't mean that is the rate that it outputs all the time. What is going to get outputed is what is recorded on the DVD to begin with.

I think that an HTPC with a Blu-Ray and HD DVD built in is the way to go. I am waiting on the price of the drives to drop or for someone like LG to come out with a combo drive.

TeddM

Stunt Coordinator
What exact display? Powerstrip can give you custom resolution and refresh rates but most digital displays want a 60 Hz refresh rate. Crt monitors and projectors are multiscanning, so can accept various resolutions and refresh rates. Digitals tend to look their best at their native resolution and native refresh rates.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mycuu
Recent bookmarks