What's new

Blu-ray Review 101 Dalmatians: Diamond Edition Blu-ray Review (3 Viewers)

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Tony Bensley said:
Hi Robert!

I'm all too aware of the inaccuracies that pop up on imdb, and I did make sure to qualify that in my post with "Assuming the above information is correct," though previous posts seem to support rather than refute the information posted on imdb, in this case.

As for the Disney studio's position regarding this, how hard would it be for them to also issue a Widescreen version of 101 DALMATIANS to Home Video? I mean, the practice of issuing Standard Academy and Widescreen versions (Often on the same DVD set!) was exercised pretty routinely by many studios in the early to mid 00's when 4:3 TV screens were still commonplace!

I just think that in the age of Widescreen TV's, preference should be given to Original Theatrical Presentations, rather than be greeted with a "This Picture Has Been Re-formatted To Fit A 4:3 Screen" disclaimer, (Which in 2015, is largely irrelevant, anyway!) or words to that effect!

CHEERS!

Tony
I'm not arguing with you on how hard it is or whether they should do it. I'm just stating that unlike what Criterion did with On the Waterfront for example, both Paramount and Disney, decided not to include different versions of the same film in different aspect ratios on blu-ray.

Tony Bensley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Anthony
Robert Crawford said:
I'm not arguing with you on how hard it is or whether they should do it. I'm just stating that unlike what Criterion did with On the Waterfront for example, both Paramount and Disney, decided not to include different versions of the same film in different aspect ratios on blu-ray.
Hi Robert!

I do realize that there was no argument on your part. It just seems a shame that with all of Disney's other originally Cinematically issued animated Films from 1955 onwards (1977's MANY ADVENTURES OF WINNIE THE POOH consisted of episodes that originally aired separately on TV!) being offered up in Widescreen Format in the Home Video Market, why not do the same for 101 DALMATIANS?

On a not quite related note, I've also noticed that Disney's 1994 Live action classic THE SANTA CLAUSE DVD (Which I have!) seems to be available ONLY at 1:33.1 Academy Ratio, which was most certainly NOT it's original Theatrical Aspect! Yes, I know the 2012 Blu-Ray version was issued in the correct Widescreen Ratio, but I also appreciate the convenience of DVDs and would prefer to not have to go Blu-Ray just to get the proper aspect, in this case!

CHEERS!

Tony

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Tony Bensley said:
On a not quite related note, I've also noticed that Disney's 1994 Live action classic THE SANTA CLAUSE DVD (Which I have!) seems to be available ONLY at 1:33.1 Academy Ratio, which was most certainly NOT it's original Theatrical Aspect! Yes, I know the 2012 Blu-Ray version was issued in the correct Widescreen Ratio, but I also appreciate the convenience of DVDs and would prefer to not have to go Blu-Ray just to get the proper aspect, in this case!

I have this version of The Santa Clause on DVD, Tony. So I know it exists. I can't find it on Amazon right now...but I bet with a little searching you'd be able to turn one up.

t01635gqwof.jpg

Mark-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark Probst
Tony Bensley said:
Hi Robert!

I do realize that there was no argument on your part. It just seems a shame that with all of Disney's other originally Cinematically issued animated Films from 1955 onwards (1977's MANY ADVENTURES OF WINNIE THE POOH consisted of episodes that originally aired separately on TV!) being offered up in Widescreen Format in the Home Video Market, why not do the same for 101 DALMATIANS?

Tony
One minor correction: the three separate "episodes" of The Many Adventures of Winnie the Pooh were in fact theatrical featurettes, not TV projects.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
Let's not forget that in the early days of DVD, Disney was one of the worst offenders for not issuing their product in OAR (The Moonspinners for one example) or sometimes not anamorphically enhancing their widescreen presentations (Hercules on DVD, for example).

Tony Bensley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Anthony
Matt Hough said:
Let's not forget that in the early days of DVD, Disney was one of the worst offenders for not issuing their product in OAR (The Moonspinners for one example) or sometimes not anamorphically enhancing their widescreen presentations (Hercules on DVD, for example).
Hi Matt!

A tradition which unfortunately, continues with the latest 101 DALMATIANS Blu-Ray release! Apparently, other than the episodic MANY ADVENTURES OF WINNIE THE POOH (Thank you for the correction, Mark-P!), this is the only other originally Cinematically released Animated Widescreen Disney Feature to not have at least one accompanying Widescreen Home Video release!

CHEERS!

Tony

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Tony Bensley said:
I would have been willing to spring for a Blu-Ray of this were it being issued in a proper Widescreen Ratio, but alas!

Tony Bensley said:
A tradition which unfortunately, continues with the latest 101 DALMATIANS Blu-Ray release!

Tony:

You repetitively state--as fact--that One Hundred and One Dalmatians is a widescreen film. Why?

Can you refute Mr. Harris' claim?

Tony Bensley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Anthony
Mike Frezon said:
Tony:

You repetitively state--as fact--that One Hundred and One Dalmatians is a widescreen film. Why?

Can you refute Mr. Harris' claim?
Hi Mike!

For the simple reason that ALL Films after the mid 1950's would have been presented in first run Theaters in Wide Screen aspect. I'm not saying that it wasn't originally made with Academy Ratio in mind. I've read that 101 DALMATIANS might have actually been originally intended for Television. Furthermore, in the early days of Widescreen Presentations, many Films were filmed at a 1:37 Academy Ratio, but then were cropped for Cinematic Widescreen Presentation. The point that I'm making is, 101 DALMATIANS was originally shown in Theaters that by 1961, would surely nearly all be set up for Widescreen Presentation, NOT Standard Academy Ratio!

In my opinion, there is very good argument for making 101 DALMATIANS available in both Aspect Ratios, though I also recognize that some will not agree with this. Fair enough.

CHEERS!

Tony

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
Tony Bensley said:
The point that I'm making is, 101 DALMATIANS was originally shown in Theaters that by 1961, would surely nearly all be set up for Widescreen Presentation, NOT Standard Academy Ratio!
I'm no expert on this movie but I assume that any theater that played it in widescreen was essentially playing a cropped version of the movie since it was meant to be seen at 4x3.

Tony Bensley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Anthony
TravisR said:
I'm no expert on this movie but I assume that any theater that played it in widescreen was essentially playing a cropped version of the movie since it was meant to be seen at 4x3.
Hi Travis!

The way I see this, there are valid arguments on BOTH sides. What I think it boils down to is 101 DALMATIANS' Originally Intended (1:33.1) Vs. Originally Presented Theatrical Aspect Ratio Presentation (1.75:1). While it is my opinion that there is good argument for issuing this in BOTH Academy and Widescreen Formats, it appears that Disney is sticking with their originally recommended Academy Aspect Ratio as is well documented, which I concede, IS their right! That doesn't mean that I fully agree with this, but so it goes!

CHEERS!

Tony

Randy Korstick

Senior HTF Member
And some of them were zoomed in and cropped like Blackbeards Ghost. A great Disney film that is unwatchable on DVD. Hopefully it will get a Blu Release in its correct ratio as part of the new Disney Club exclusives.
Matt Hough said:

Jason_V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
Matt Hough said:

My favorite "bonus feature" of all time...Full Color Character Artwork on Disc...

Rodney

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Tony Bensley said:
Hi Mike!

For the simple reason that ALL Films after the mid 1950's would have been presented in first run Theaters in Wide Screen aspect. I'm not saying that it wasn't originally made with Academy Ratio in mind. I've read that 101 DALMATIANS might have actually been originally intended for Television. Furthermore, in the early days of Widescreen Presentations, many Films were filmed at a 1:37 Academy Ratio, but then were cropped for Cinematic Widescreen Presentation. The point that I'm making is, 101 DALMATIANS was originally shown in Theaters that by 1961, would surely nearly all be set up for Widescreen Presentation, NOT Standard Academy Ratio!

In my opinion, there is very good argument for making 101 DALMATIANS available in both Aspect Ratios, though I also recognize that some will not agree with this. Fair enough.

CHEERS!

Tony

I am not an expert (I leave that distinction to RAH), but I believe that projectionists in the 1960's (unlike the last 40 years) strove to show the films in their proper ratio, using the proper tools to their disposal, such as lenses, metal mattes, and moving curtains.

It has been stated by Disney that the OAR is 1.33.1, and I have no reason to doubt that it was shown that way in most first-run theaters at that time.

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
I'm not going to touch the aspect ratio discussion here, but I have another question. The last time Disney released this in 2007 as a Platinum Edition, the opening studio logo was updated to the modern CGI logo introduced in 2006. Given not only that it is hand-drawn, but the general style and appearance of the film, this always felt like an odd choice to me. What logo(s) open the film on this release?

Tony Bensley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Anthony
It does occur to me that regarding Aspect Ratio, I could simply choose to approximate what many Theaters of the day did by "Zooming In" the image, using a setting which actually adds a bit to the sides while "Cropping" the top and bottom!

CHEERS!

Cineman

Second Unit
Real Name
David B.
I was 8 years old in 1961, prime Disney feature target audience demographic, and saw 101 Dalmatians at least 3 times with friends and family in and around the Kentucky/Ohio area, typically in smaller local neighborhood theaters. I wouldn't have known anything about the term "aspect ratio", but I clearly remember noticing and recognizing in those days the difference between the way older Disney animated features like Pinocchio, Bambi and Peter Pan looked vs more recent ones like Lady and the Tramp and Sleeping Beauty. I think it would have been jarring, maybe even disappointing for me to watch the latest Disney animated feature release in 1961 in the more squared framing of the older Disney features rather than at least as wide as other ordinary movie releases of the day. I'm sure I would have thought something didn't look right about it in the theater, even as an excited 8 year old.

I don't mean it needed to look as wide as Lady and the Tramp or Sleeping Beauty in order to look like the modern release it was. But if it had been presented in any of those theaters in 1.33:1, I am pretty sure I would have noticed it and remembered it. But I didn't notice it and don't remember thinking it. Maybe it was routinely presented in theaters in 1.33:1 elsewhere in 1961. However, based on my memory of seeing it in several different theaters outside of major metro centers, I am certain it was not presented that way in any of the theaters I attended.

Not only that, but after the very high profile promotion of those two previous animated features, Lady and the Tramp and Sleeping Beauty, as being soooo widescreen and grand, it just doesn't sound like Disney would have whipsawed dramatically back to a look they had just spent a lot of money suggesting was "then" while wider was "now" with their very next one. It just doesn't seem plausible that such a move wouldn't have been taken and written about extensively as a retreat back to an older format. Is there any mention of such a thing in a review of the day? I really don't know.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks