What's new

100 cdr's For $10 at Best Buy (1 Viewer)

JonS

Stunt Coordinator
I saw this deal in the best buy paper on sunday. Are these particular cdr's any good. I would think there really isn't much difference between the quality of all blank cd's. Thanks.

Dave F

Senior HTF Member
I don't know what kind of CD's are featured in the ad, but there is quite a difference in quality of blanks. Higher quality disks will have a higher success rate with burning at higher speeds, and will also have longer retention lives.

-Dave

MichaelPe

Screenwriter
They're "Imation" CD-Rs (made by 3M). Decent quality... but watch out: they're $44.99 - $15.00 instant rebate - $20.00 mail-in rebate. Still an awesome deal.

Ken Seeber

Supporting Actor
They're "Imation" CD-Rs (made by 3M).
They're Imation, but they aren't made by 3M. I've been using a software utility called CD Identifier that reads the ATIP layer of the disc and shows what company/factory made it. The Imation CDs on sale are made by CMC Magnetics. Whether that's good or bad, I couldn't tell you.

If I'm burning something critical that I want to have around for a long time, I use Taiyo Yuden.

Eric Samonte

Screenwriter
I've been using Imation CDR for quite a while now. While my previous burner had no "burnproof" thingy on it, I wasn't exactly creating coasters in increasing amounts.

I also recently got 20 CDRs with slim cases for $2.99 after rebates at BB. I've only used a couple and so far so good.

Bill Slack

Supporting Actor
FWIW, my CDR (older 8x) has a LOT of problem with Imation discs. I paid $19 for a 100-pack a few months ago at microcenter. I have a few dozen Kodak and Sony ones left over and have created nary a coaster with them. The Imation discs have been nothing but trouble.

Brad_V

Second Unit
Looks like I've gotten a bad 50-pack of Imation discs recently, but other than that I've had no problems with them on my older 8x burner. I've had no problems with basically any brand, though. PNY, Digital Research, ACR, etc.

I got a 200-pack of el-cheapo's from Circuit City last month for $15 after rebate, and those work fine, too. They're so cheap they don't have ANY labels or line of ANY kind of the top.

So, I don't really care what brand it is because they all seem to work just fine. And Best Buy runs those sales all the time now. Almost every week they have *something* for five bucks per fifty. I have over 350 blanks sitting here yet from those sales, but I tend to go through a lot of blanks, so as long as they're five bucks per 50 or less, I'll buy them.

One thing to note, Imation seems quite good at getting the rebates back quickly. I generally get the rebate within three weeks. PNY takes like two months. So for that reason, I'd grab the Imations while you can.

Brett DiMichele

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brett
I deal with Imation exclusively at work. Every piece of

media we use is Imation, From CD's to Blackwatch 20 GIG

Tapes for our StorageTek Silo Libraries. IMHO Imation is

a very top notch brand and they stand behind thier data

storage with a lifetime replacemant guarentee. You make a

coaster they WILL replace it.

Imation is the only media I will use. JMO

John Berggren

Senior HTF Member
Imation isn't bad. It's not the best, but it's certainly no PNR or non-named brand.

I personally tend to use Sony and TDK, but Imation will do ya.

Mark Cappelletty

Senior HTF Member
How are Maxell and Memorex CD-Rs/CD-RWs rated? I just had a box of Memorex CD-RWs go bad on me; over 2/3ds of the discs didn't work.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
I use Memorex and TDK pretty exclusively at home and at work. Had tons of problems with Maxell early on and haven't touched them since.

Mark Richter

Stunt Coordinator
All I use at home is Imation and it is my preferred brand.

About 1 of every 100 is bad. 99% of the time it is me that killed it. Only can remember about 5 disks in about 800 that were manufactured bad.

Kip L

Auditioning
Generally, Ritek and CMC are regarded as medium/lower quality CDR's. Taiyo Yuden CDR's are (according to most) on the higher end of the quality scale. A quick way to distinguish between the various brands is that Taiyo Yuden's are made in Japan whereas the others are from Taiwan. So of the brands that use Taiyo Yudens are FUJI and TDK (made in Japan). I've use Memorex, FUJI and TDK-Japan discs and had no problems with any of them. The main problem with CDR's of all types is the protective coating on top is VERY thin and wears/scratches easily in storage books such as case logic, etc.

Aaron Silverman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Aaron Silverman
I was at CompUSA today (see my other thread on the CD-RW deal I got), and they had Imation CD-Rs for $25 minus a $15 rebate. But I can't remember if it was a 50-pack or a 100-pack! (or was it a 100-pack of slim cases. . .)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks