What's new

Press Release: Disney Treasures Wave 2 (1 Viewer)

Anthony Liz

Stunt Coordinator
BURBANK, Calif., Disney’s popular WALT DISNEY TREASURES series continues with WAVE 2, three new, separate limited edition DVD sets that collect more of Walt’s greatest wonders, never assembled or released on DVD, for fans and film-lovers everywhere. Each superb volume is hosted by noted film historian Leonard Maltin and presented in pristine color and sound. Building on the outstanding reception given the first round of “Treasures,” WALT DISNEY TREASURES: WAVE 2 presents Mickey Mouse’s amazing early black and white adventures, a complete collection of Goofy’s shorts, and many of Walt’s marvelous “behind-the-scenes” films of his studio. All three 2-disc DVD sets are chock full of supplemental features such as rare or unseen archival material, story sketch sequences, still-frame production art galleries, historical publicity and memorabilia galleries, special featurettes, and more. Available to own only on Disney DVD from Walt Disney Home Entertainment on December 3, 2002, each of these three new DVD volumes is priced to own at $32.99 (S.R.P.).
MICKEY MOUSE IN BLACK AND WHITE
See the legendary first film appearances of Mickey Mouse that made him an international Before Walt’s classic animated feature films such as SNOW WHITE, before Walt’s revolutionary use of Technicolor, before the Wonderful World of Disney television show, before Disney Land and the Walt Disney World Resorts, before almost everything that Walt would build into his world-famous entertainment studio, there was a feisty, fun-loving little character that captured the Audiences first saw Mickey Mouse in black and white films, and the 2-disc DVD WALT DISNEY TREASURES: WAVE 2 collection follows Mickey’s timeless adventures from his very first on-screen appearance in “Steamboat Willie” (1928) through the last of his black and white shorts, “Mickey's Service Station” (1935). “Steamboat Willie” also represents the historic Many of the famous Disney gang of animated characters made first or early appearances in Mickey's films, and the WALT DISNEY TREASURES: WAVE 2 DVDs feature the historic original appearances of Mickey, Minnie Mouse, Pluto and Goofy.
MICKEY MOUSE IN BLACK AND WHITE DISC ONE[*]Welcome and Introduction by Film Historian Leonard Maltin[*]Short Films:
Steamboat Willie (1928)
The Gallopin' Gaucho (1928)
Plane Crazy (1928)
The Karnival Kid (1929)
Mickey's Follies (1929)
The Fire Fighters (1930)
The Chain Gang (1930)
The Gorilla Mystery (1930)
Pioneer Days (1930)
The Birthday Party (1931)
Mickey Steps Out (1931)
Blue Rhythm (1931)
Mickey Cuts Up (1931)
Mickey's Orphans (1931)
The Duck Hunt (1932)
Mickey's Revue (1932)
Mickey's Nightmare (1932)
The Whoopee Party (1932)
Touchdown Mickey (1932)
The Klondike Kid (1932)
[*]Video Featurette: Frank, Ollie and More
An overview of Mickey’s origins and early career features new interview footage with Frank Thomas (animator), Ollie Johnston (animator), and Mickey’s most recent “performers” Mark Henn (animator) and Andreas Deja (animator).
[*]Story Script: “Steamboat Willie” and “Mickey Steps Out”
Combining key staging sketches and detailed typewritten descriptions, these “Story Scripts” were the predecessor to the Storyboard.
[*]Video Galleries: Story Sketch Sequence
Introduction
Blue Rhythm
Mickey Cuts Up
Mickey’s Orphans
Mickey’s Nightmare
The Whoopee Party
Touchdown Mickey
The Klondike Kid[/list]MICKEY MOUSE IN BLACK AND WHITE DISC TWO[*]Welcome and Introduction by Film Historian Leonard Maltin[*]Short Films:
Building a Building (1933)
The Mad Doctor (1933)
Ye Olden Days (1933)
The Mail Pilot (1933)
Mickey's Gala Premier (1933)
Puppy Love (1933)
The Pet Store (1933)
Giantland (1933)
Camping Out (1934)
Gulliver Mickey (1934)
Orphan's Benefit (1934)
The Dognapper (1934)
Two-Gun Mickey (1934)
Mickey's Service Station (1935)[/list]DISC TWO SUPPLEMENTAL FEATURES[*]Film Historian Leonard Maltin introduces the supplemental features.[*]Pencil Test: The Mail Pilot
Leonard Maltin introduces this rare footage, a rough and pencil animation sequence used to review action and staging prior to final inking, painting, and photography. Showing a continuous flow of animated action, this rare footage is the only Mickey Mouse black-and-white cartoon pencil footage known to exist.
[*]Video Galleries: Story Sketch Sequences
Introduction
Building a Building
The Mad Doctor
Puppy Love
The Pet Store
Giantland
Camping Out
Gulliver Mickey
Orphan’s Benefit
The Dognapper
Two-Gun Mickey
Mickey’s Service Station
[*]Poster Gallery (with audio attachment)
Through this thumbnail still gallery, viewers can see theatrical posters and special advertising art for these Mickey cartoons.[/list]THE COMPLETE GOOFYThe Complete Goofy – For the first time, the individual exploits of Disney’s beloved character are gathered together in a collection of 46 animated short subjects.
THE COMPLETE GOOFY - DISC ONE[*]Welcome and Introduction by Film Historian Leonard Maltin[*]Short Films:
Goofy and Wilbur (1939)
Goofy’s Glider (1940)
Baggage Buster (1941)
The Art of Skiing (1941)
The Art of Self Defense (1941)
How to Play Baseball (1942)
The Olympic Champ (1942)
How to Swim (1942)
How to Fish (1942)
Victory Vehicles (1943)
How to Be a Sailor (1944)
How to Play Golf (1944)
How to Play Football (1944)
Tiger Trouble (1945)
African Diary (1945)
Californy’er Bust (1945)
Hockey Homicide (1945)
Knight for a Day (1946)
Double Dribble (1946)
Foul Hunting (1947)
They’re Off (1948)
The Big Wash (1948)[/list]
DISC ONE SUPPLEMENTAL FEATURES[*]Video Featurette: The Essential Goof
In the late 1930's animator Art Babbit authored a descriptive reference for Disney story men describing the characteristics and behavior of Goofy. In this featurette, Leonard Maltin explains the origin of this unique document, which is then read and illustrated with appropriate art and film clips.
[*]Video Featurette: Pinto Colvig: The Man Behind the Goof
The distinctive voice of Goofy was created by an itinerant gag man, musician, and voice actor with the unlikely name of Pinto Colvig. Leonard Maltin offers a brief biography of the legendary talent.[/list]THE COMPLETE GOOFY - DISC TWO[*]Welcome and Introduction by Film Historian Leonard Maltin[*]Short Films:
Tennis Racquet (1949)
Goofy Gymnastics (1949)
Motor Mania (1950)
Hold That Pose (1950)
Lion Down (1951)
Home Made Home (1951)
Cold War (1951)
Tomorrow We Diet (1951)
Get Rich Quick (1951)
Fathers Are People (1951)
No Smoking (1951)
Father’s Lion (1952)
Hello, Aloha (1952)
Man’s Best Friend (1952)
Two-Gun Goofy (1952)
Teachers Are People (1952)
Two Weeks Vacation (1952)
How to Be a Detective (1952)
Father’s Day Off (1953)
For Whom the Bulls Toil (1953)
Father’s Week End (1953)
How to Dance (1953)
How to Sleep (1953)
Aquamania (1961)[/list]
DISC TWO SUPPLEMENTAL FEATURES[*]Video Featurette: A Conversation With Bill Farmer, The Voice Of Goofy
Leonard Maltin discusses the finer points of being Goofy with the comic actor who has provided Goofy's voice since 1988, Bill Farmer.
[*]Publicity and Memorabilia Gallery (with attached audio)
Through this thumbnail still gallery, viewers can see a selection of theatrical posters and other memorabilia of the Goofy cartoons.
[*]Goofy Through The Years Art Gallery (with attached audio)
Through this thumbnail still gallery, viewers can see a selection of story drawings and background paintings from the Goofy cartoons.[/list]BEHIND THE SCENES AT THE WALT DISNEY STUDIO
This volume goes inside the walls of the world’s most famous magic factory for an inside tour, via several “behind-the-scenes” films and television shows.
BEHIND THE SCENES AT THE WALT DISNEY STUDIO - DISC ONE[*]Welcome and Introduction by Film Historian Leonard Maltin[*]FEATURES AND SHORTS
A Trip Through The Walt Disney Studio (Short, 1938)
How Walt Disney Cartoons Are Made (Short, 1939)
The Reluctant Dragon (Feature, 1941)[/list]
DISC ONE SUPPLEMENTAL FEATURES
[*]Video Feature: "Leonard Maltin’s Studio Tour"
For his television programs, Walt Disney often invited viewers right onto the lot at his Studio in Burbank. In this new video element, Leonard Maltin uses Walt Disney’s own television programs to create a unique tour around the Disney Studio lot, from 1954 to today.
[*]Behind The Boards On Baby Weems
A look at the Seminal uniquely animated section of Disney’s The Reluctant Dragon[*]The Reluctant Dragon Gallery[*]Walt Disney Studios Gallery[/list]
BEHIND THE SCENES AT THE WALT DISNEY STUDIO - DISC TWO[*]Welcome and Introduction by Film Historian Leonard Maltin[*]TV EPISODES:
The Story Of The Animated Drawing (TV Episode, 1955)
The Plausible Impossible (TV Episode, 1956)
Tricks of Our Trade (TV Episode, 1957)[/list]
DISC TWO SUPPLEMENTAL FEATURES[*]Film Historian Leonard Maltin provides individual introductions to each feature
[*]Radio Program “Tour of the Disney Studio” (Audio Attachment)
Radio Program: “Tour of the Disney Studio” (1946) from the Walt Disney Productions Sound Department.
[*]Kem Webber Gallery
Through this thumbnail still gallery, viewers can see behind-the-scenes photos of the Disney Studios, as well as backstage peeks at the making of each of the films and programs featured in this compilation.[/list]
WALT DISNEY TREASURES: WAVE 2 is unrated. All bonus material is unrated and subject to change.
Street Date: December 3
Direct Prebook Date: October 8
Distributor Prebook Date: October 22
Suggested Retail Price: $32.99 per each 2-disc DVD set
Walt Disney Home Entertainment is distributed by Buena Vista Home Entertainment, Inc., a recognized industry leader. Buena Vista Home Entertainment, Inc. is the marketing, sales and distribution company for Walt Disney, Touchstone, Miramax, Dimension and Buena Vista videocassettes and DVDs.
Santa better have me under his "nice" list :)

Patrick McCart

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick McCart
Looks like 3 more discs to add to my library.

I was going to get the Mickey and Goofy sets from the start, but the Behind The Scenes set looks even better than I thought it would be!

Poor Santy Claus.

Paul Penna

Screenwriter
Real Name
Paul
The Mickey Mouse DVD set appears to replicate the "Mickey Mouse: The Black and White Years Volume 1" laserdisc (there never was a Volume 2) from 1993 exactly except for the addition of one cartoon: "The Karnival Kid." In other words, every title represented on the LD is represented on the DVD, plus one more.

According to my personal cartoon database, the b/w Mickeys still not issued are (pardon the absence of articles):

Barn Dance
Barnyard Battle
Barnyard Concert
Barnyard Olympics
Beach Party
Cactus Kid
Castaway
Delivery Boy
Fishin' Around
Grocery Boy
Haunted House
Jazz Fool
Jungle Rhythm
Just Mickey
Mad Dog
Mickey in Arabia
Mickey Plays Papa
Mickey's Choo-Choo
Mickey's Good Deed
Mickey's Kangaroo
Mickey's Man Friday
Mickey's Mechanical Man
Mickey's Mellerdrammer
Mickey's Pal Pluto
Moose Hunt
Musical Farmer
Opry House
Picnic
Plow Boy
Shindig
Steeple-Chase
Trader Mickey
Traffic Troubles
Wayward Canary
When the Cat's Away
Wild Waves

The titles of some (e.g. "Mickey's Man Friday," "Mickey in Arabia") can give some indication of the kind of problematical content which might explain their absence. Another like that is "Mickey's Mellerdrammer" which includes a performance of "Uncle Tom's Cabin" (Mickey in blackface!).

Unanswered questions include which the version of "Steamboat Willie" will be used. The one on the LD had a common cut in which Mickey plays the teats of a mama pig like a concertina. Interestingly, that version did air on the Disney Channel around 15 years ago. Also, most of the title cards on the LD versions were video recreations, as opposed to originals.

One final note: since Goofy is in "Mickey's Mellerdrammer," "The Complete Goofy" really isn't.

As to the question of whether I'm going to buy them all anyway, the answer is "yes."

Kajs

Second Unit
Real Name
Kurt
I love "The Plausible Impossible", i just wish there 4 sets instead of 3, but then again, I may not have any money for these in December.

Jeffrey Gray

Second Unit
Unanswered questions include which the version of "Steamboat Willie" will be used. The one on the LD had a common cut in which Mickey plays the teats of a mama pig like a concertina. Interestingly, that version did air on the Disney Channel around 15 years ago.
The cut was authorized by Walt in 1953...he found it tasteless. That is why the print the Disney Channel showed with this scene intact was a very, very scratchy/dirty print.

Kurt N

Stunt Coordinator
I knew I would be getting all 3 of these, but they look even better than I expected. My Xmas bonus is going almost entirely into my DVD player.

Randy Korstick

Senior HTF Member
The Reluctant Dragon is the complete theatrical version which has never been available on Home Video before. It runs 72 minutes and besides the Reluctant Dragon cartoon includes the Baby Weems cartoon and the Robert Benchley studio tour just as it originally played in theaters in 1941. I'm really looking forward to seeing it as I have only seen the 30 minute Reluctant Dragon cartoon that was released by itself on home video.

Brian Kidd

Senior HTF Member
Me want NOW!!!

*uses hypnotic powers on an unsuspecting Internet Geekdom*

You will purchase these sets and send them to me.

BOOGA BOOGA

PaulP

Senior HTF Member
Wasn't there supposed to be a Maltin commentary during Reluctant Dragon? Did I just make that up? I thought this was mentioned. Did it get dropped?

Kajs

Second Unit
Real Name
Kurt
The Reluctant Dragon is the complete theatrical version which has never been available on Home Video before.
Actually it was. It was a Disney Store Exclusive:
Link Removed
This isn't the "mini classic" version. It came out a few years ago, I didn't buy it because I wasn't buying anymore VHS tapes.

Nathan*W

Screenwriter
Real Name
Nathan
Kurt is correct. It came in a VHS 3-pack which also included "Frank and Ollie" and "The Walt Disney Story". Having seen the theatrical version, I can saw it is GREAT!

JJR512

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Justin J. Rebbert
The cut was authorized by Walt in 1953...he found it tasteless. That is why the print the Disney Channel showed with this scene intact was a very, very scratchy/dirty print.
It was my understanding that these were supposed to be uncensored. I was given this impression by the statement on the back of the current Mickey Mouse in Living Color tin: "This classic uncensored compilation includes..." I always thought "uncensored" was an odd word to use in connection with something from Disney, but this would seem to be a good example of where it should apply. Steamboat Willy, complete with pig teat scene, made Mickey Mouse and Walt Disney famous. I want to see what started it all.

Nathan*W

Screenwriter
Real Name
Nathan
I always thought "uncensored" was an odd word to use in connection with something from Disney, but this would seem to be a good example of where it should apply. Steamboat Willy, complete with pig teat scene, made Mickey Mouse and Walt Disney famous. I want to see what started it all.
I doubt you will. Since Walt authorized the change, the new version becomes the "uncensored" one. (at least in Disney's eyes)

ChrisLee

Stunt Coordinator
Is there a particular reason why How To Ride A Horse and Goofy's Freeway Trouble are not being included in the Complete Goofy Set? From the list I've been going by, 48 Goofy shorts were made. They are gonna give us 46. Am I supposed to buy an accompanying VHS tape?:frowning: Here's hoping they can fit whatever they need to (including easter eggs) to make this set really complete...

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks