What's new

Lord Dalek

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joel Henderson
Has it been established that Disney retains - some? many? all? none? - of the oringinal successive-exposure negatives of their Technicolor shorts and features?
Considering every version of The Band Concert, On Ice, and Mickey's Garden I've seen were from later reissue prints, it would not surprise me if the YCM's weren't saved for material prior to Snow White.

B-ROLL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bryan
Flowers and Trees has been on blu-ray for a VERY long time. It was included on Snow White and The Seven Dwarfs in 1080p from an older ip.
That was only on the first blu-ray release. Subsequent versions have not had the 2nd Special Features disc wherin the shorts including Steamboat Willie were included.

1674833080119.png

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
I am sure everyone has their own opinions on grain in animation. I look at it this way: did Walt Disney want his animation to be grainy?

Of course he wouldn't have, given the choice. But grain was an expected -- indeed, inevitable -- part of the equation back then. But, removing existing grain usually means a reduction of detail, especially on the edges. Is that what you are pining for? :oops:

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
That was only on the first blu-ray release. Subsequent versions have not had the 2nd Special Features disc wherin the shorts including Steamboat Willie were included.

View attachment 173604

Am I misremembering, or did THE OLD MILL also appear in 1080 on a blu-ray release? I am pretty sure I have it somewhere.

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
Of course he wouldn't have, given the choice. But grain was an expected -- indeed, inevitable -- part of the equation back then. But, removing existing grain usually means a reduction of detail, especially on the edges. Is that what you are pining for? :oops:
Are you quite certain about this?

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
Are you quite certain about this?

Well, yes. There has been grain reduction/elimination, even from Disney, that looks good to me, in which detail is not compromised to my eyes. But SWORD IN THE STONE, and other features, plus most of the shorts on the earlier Mickey Mouse Blu-ray (which I sold because they looked so "processed,") make me skeptical of future releases. I am looking forward to reviews here for the 4K of CINDERELLA.

Winston T. Boogie

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Pike Bishop
I also don't understand why the release was limited to ten, as there plenty of space - no extras

This was the first question that popped into my head. On a Blu, why just 10 shorts? This seems a rather paltry offering...and no extras.

I have it, have not watched it. The banter they added between shorts sounds very annoying and like a really bad idea. It does add to my feeling that Disney is a company that has lost the plot.

bigMoe

Auditioning
Real Name
Jerry
Somehow I feel this has to do with them both becoming public domain soon. Perhaps a stab at re-copywriting???

Douglas R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
This was the first question that popped into my head. On a Blu, why just 10 shorts? This seems a rather paltry offering...and no extras.

I have it, have not watched it. The banter they added between shorts sounds very annoying and like a really bad idea. It does add to my feeling that Disney is a company that has lost the plot.
Disney don't seem to know whether to market their classic animated shorts to children or the adult collector. They hedge their bets and go for both, pleasing no one. The DVD Treasures tins were clearly aimed at the collector but do modern children enjoy the Mickey Mouse, Donald Duck etc shorts? I have no idea but I suspect most find them slow and too far removed from their social media life. I also see from reviews on Amazon that most purchasers for the classic Disney animated features are adults buying for themselves. Actually I'm perfectly satisfied with the vast amount of material contained in the Treasures sets and I can't see Disney ever remastering them all to HD and Blu-ray.

RobertMG

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Robert M. Grippo
Disney don't seem to know whether to market their classic animated shorts to children or the adult collector. They hedge their bets and go for both, pleasing no one. The DVD Treasures tins were clearly aimed at the collector but do modern children enjoy the Mickey Mouse, Donald Duck etc shorts? I have no idea but I suspect most find them slow and too far removed from their social media life. I also see from reviews on Amazon that most purchasers for the classic Disney animated features are adults buying for themselves. Actually I'm perfectly satisfied with the vast amount of material contained in the Treasures sets and I can't see Disney ever remastering them all to HD and Blu-ray.
SPOT ON they would do better just re-issuing those sets

DanH1972

Second Unit
Real Name
Dan
You better hope they release them to HD and (a long shot here) 4k in a restored capacity. The Treasure set DVDs are prone to rotting.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
foster2292
Recent bookmarks