What's new

Todd Erwin

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Erwin
As part of the studio’s 100th anniversary, Disney has released Mickey & Minnie: 10 Classic Shorts, Volume 1 on Blu-ray.

Steamboat Willie (1928)

Released: 01 Jan 1929
Rated: TV-Y7
Runtime: 8 min

Director: Ub Iwerks, Walt Disney
Genre: Animation, Short, Comedy

Cast: Charlotte Jamquie, Walt Disney
Writer(s): Walt Disney, Ub Iwerks

Plot: Mickey Mouse is a mischievous deckhand on a riverboat that is under the command of the tyrannical Captain Pete.

IMDB rating: 7.5
MetaScore: N/A

Disc Information

Studio: Disney
Distributed By: N/A
Video Resolution: 1080P/AVC

Aspect Ratio: 1.37:1
Audio: English 2.0 DD, Spanish 2.0 DD, French 2.0 DD

Subtitles:...

Continue reading...

Last edited by a moderator:

Rob W

Screenwriter
Real Name
Robert
"That being said, many of the backgrounds do retain some noticeable texture, as if they were drawn on paper rather than painted on animation cels. "

That's because they were hand-painted on paper and not animation cells.

Konstantinos

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Konstantinos
I'm curious, why don't you love film grain in animation @Todd Erwin ?
I assume you like it in live action films, don't you?
And since you rated highly this video presentation, you agree with the removal of grain.

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
...In other words, we should maybe stick to the DISNEY TREASURES DVD series, as I suspected when this collection was first announced.

Todd Erwin

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Erwin
And since you rated highly this video presentation, you agree with the removal of grain.
I do like film grain, and if there was noticeable film grain, it would have received FIVE STARS.

JoeDoakes

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ray
It's just remarkable that Disney would release such a thoughtlessly produced product focusing on its two most popular characters. Perhaps someone is hoping that there never will be a volume 2.

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
Todd,

I was going to review, but I presume you won't mind if I append to your work, with which I agree.

I found the release odd in a number of ways.

I seems to return to the old DVD tin format, of throwing shorts on discs with no particular rationale. I also don't understand why the release was limited to ten, as there plenty of space - no extras aside from some idiotic junior high school banter between to voice actors who don't really sound anything like the real Mickey or Minnie. "Boy, Mickey, you were were swell on the dance floor..."

To make matters worse, there's no way around the banter on the DVD, which seems set to "play all," while at least on the Blu, you can make a selection of he short, but you still have to listen to the idiotic banter and view a scrap book. I was waiting for honeymoon nudes to show up. Fortunately, they didn't, but we do get to see Minnie in just a grass skirt and lei, which I found a bit unnerving, as I have no idea how old she was in 1937. Presumably too young to need a top.

There's actually minimal difference between the DVD and Blu-ray from a normal seating distance, as the films weren't highly resolved to begin with, and (as you note) all grain has been removed. In the Blu-ray we do get some faux grain as some sort of minimal video noise.

All in all, an odd selection of scrubbed shorts that are okay. I checked through all of them, and On Ice appeared to be taken from a dupe, but I'm not sure that anyone cares. Probably no one at Disney.

Final thoughts...

Why window-boxed credits? Are these really old transfers?

Was the included version of Steamboat 1.37 or 1.19? I don't recall.

Also have no idea why there's a message at the beginning of the DVD that has all the resolution VHS.

They could have done something special, but the end result is rather "meh..."

Do I look forward to a second selection of some of the best animated shorts around?

Not really. And that's a pity.

The big positive here is for slipcover collectors, as it's a pretty one, with attractive embossing. What a happy place!

RobertMG

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Robert M. Grippo
...In other words, we should maybe stick to the DISNEY TREASURES DVD series, as I suspected when this collection was first announced.
People still care about D
Todd,

I was going to review, but I presume you won't mind if I append to your work, with which I agree.

I found the release odd in a number of ways.

I seems to return to the old DVD tin format, of throwing shorts on discs with no particular rationale. I also don't understand why the release was limited to ten, as there plenty of space - no extras aside from some idiotic junior high school banter between to voice actors who don't really sound anything like the real Mickey or Minnie. "Boy, Mickey, you were were swell on the dance floor..."

To make matters worse, there's no way around the banter on the DVD, which seems set to "play all," while at least on the Blu, you can make a selection of he short, but you still have to listen to the idiotic banter and view a scrap book. I was waiting for honeymoon nudes to show up. Fortunately, they didn't, but we do get to see Minnie in just a grass skirt and lei, which I found a bit unnerving, as I have no idea how old she was in 1937. Presumably too young to need a top.

There's actually minimal difference between the DVD and Blu-ray from a normal seating distance, as the films weren't highly resolved to begin with, and (as you note) all grain has been removed. In the Blu-ray we do get some faux grain as some sort of minimal video noise.

All in all, an odd selection of scrubbed shorts that are okay. I checked through all of them, and On Ice appeared to be taken from a dupe, but I'm not sure that anyone cares. Probably no one at Disney.

Final thoughts...

Why window-boxed credits? Are these really old transfers?

Was the included version of Steamboat 1.37 or 1.19? I don't recall.

Also have no idea why there's a message at the beginning of the DVD that has all the resolution VHS.

They could have done something special, but the end result is rather "meh..."

Do I look forward to a second selection of some of the best animated shorts around?

Not really. And that's a pity.

The big positive here is for slipcover collectors, as it's a pretty one, with attractive embossing. What a happy place!
Sad that they restored the classic library yet they really have NOT one person to advocate for mining them for fans who want them = what a sin

Timothy E

Reviewer
Real Name
Timothy Ewanyshyn
You raise a good question. Do we need grain in animation? I tend to view animation as a different creature from live action.

I am sure everyone has their own opinions on grain in animation. I look at it this way: did Walt Disney want his animation to be grainy?

Animators use film as a medium as a platform for their artwork and storytelling. Did Walt Disney ever finish an animated project and complain that there was not enough grain obscuring the artwork? Or Chuck Jones? Or any of the great animators? Or did they intend their artistry to transcend the medium of film?

No one wants to see DNR that changes or removes the artwork. Is there any harm if animation is displayed without grain so long as it retains true fidelity to the artistic intent?
Opinions may vary.

Todd Erwin

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Erwin
I also don't understand why the release was limited to ten, as there plenty of space - no extras aside from some idiotic junior high school banter between to voice actors who don't really sound anything like the real Mickey or Minnie. "Boy, Mickey, you were were swell on the dance floor..."
The studio could have fit more shorts if they had opted to use a BD50 rather than a BD25, which is pretty full.

Mickey-Minnie.jpg

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
The studio could have fit more shorts if they had opted to use a BD50 rather than a BD25, which is pretty full.

View attachment 173542
Thanks for checking that. Makes sense. There are so many of these shorts, they’ll probably never get through them. Amazed that we didn’t at least get Flowers and Trees.

I wonder how many other sites will review this honestly?

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
You raise a good question. Do we need grain in animation? I tend to view animation as a different creature from live action.

I am sure everyone has their own opinions on grain in animation. I look at it this way: did Walt Disney want his animation to be grainy?

Animators use film as a medium as a platform for their artwork and storytelling. Did Walt Disney ever finish an animated project and complain that there was not enough grain obscuring the artwork? Or Chuck Jones? Or any of the great animators? Or did they intend their artistry to transcend the medium of film?

No one wants to see DNR that changes or removes the artwork. Is there any harm if animation is displayed without grain so long as it retains true fidelity to the artistic intent?
Opinions may vary.
We do, because it tends to hold together the layers of animation, and make non-movement less evident.

Grain still needs to be reduced because it’s tripled, but not removed.

Lord Dalek

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joel Henderson
Flowers and Trees has been on blu-ray for a VERY long time. It was included on Snow White and The Seven Dwarfs in 1080p from an older ip.

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
Flowers and Trees has been on blu-ray for a VERY long time. It was included on Snow White and The Seven Dwarfs in 1080p from an older ip.
Pretty much all reasonably important shorts have bee on something. They love to reuse titles.

Last edited:

Paul Penna

Screenwriter
Real Name
Paul
We do, because it tends to hold together the layers of animation, and make non-movement less evident.

Grain still needs to be reduced because it’s tripled, but not removed.
Has it been established that Disney retains - some? many? all? none? - of the oringinal successive-exposure negatives of their Technicolor shorts and features?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mycuu
Recent bookmarks