-

Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and you won't get the popup ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo

Lord of the Rings extended DVD

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
167 replies to this topic

#1 of 168 RyanCorkum

RyanCorkum

Auditioning

• 1 posts

Posted June 04 2002 - 11:06 AM

Hey everyone! I'm new to these boards, so I apologize ahead of time for any references and/or things said that may have already been mentioned.

I am curious about the 4 disc version DVD of The Lord Of The Rings: The Fellowship Of The Ring - and whether or not it will also include the original theatrical version in addition to the extended version. The reason I ask if anyone knows is that I don't want to buy the August 2 disc DVD if the 4 disc has both versions.

If anyone knows anything about this at all, please let me know!

Thanks, and have a pleasent day.

#2 of 168 DeepakJR

DeepakJR

Second Unit

• 255 posts

Posted June 04 2002 - 11:23 AM

i read somewhere that the 4(or 5)disc version will not include the theatrical cut. they will have its own set up supplements for the specific cuts respectively.
Never Die!

#3 of 168 Bryant Frazer

Bryant Frazer

Stunt Coordinator

• 121 posts

Posted June 04 2002 - 11:26 AM

I would imagine that the amount of disc space devoted to each cut of the film (two dual-layer discs!) would pretty much preclude including both of them in one set.

On a related note, did anyone else see that the extended version of Fellowship actually got a PG-13, rather than the expected R? Billboard ran a note on this a few issues back, and you can check the re-rating at www.mpaa.org.

-bf-
Bryant Frazer
Deep Focus
www.deep-focus.com

#4 of 168 Jeff Rogers

Jeff Rogers

Second Unit

• 311 posts

Posted June 04 2002 - 11:27 AM

Welcome to Home Theater Forum.

To answer your question, the extended edition will not contain the original theatrical release. The movie will span 2 discs, the extras on 2 discs, and the National Geographic doc. on the 5th disc.

To be honest, the release in August seems to have a lot of fluff on it in terms of bonus material. A lot of the stuff is things that we have seen on t.v. before. (except the Two Towers preview)

The real meat and taters is on the extended version.

I'm gonna pick up both. Posted Image
" Maam....maybe you don't understand, you ripped my clients arm off "

#5 of 168 Sam Davatchi

Sam Davatchi

Producer

• 3,151 posts

Posted June 04 2002 - 11:33 AM

Quote:
On a related note, did anyone else see that the extended version of Fellowship actually got a PG-13, rather than the expected R?
I don’t think that it’s a surprise. Jackson himself did say that the added scenes are dialog and character development and not gore. He did mention that the rating most probably will not change.

#6 of 168 Chuck Mayer

Chuck Mayer

Lead Actor

• 7,974 posts
  • LocationNorthern Virginia

Posted June 04 2002 - 12:25 PM

I wouldn't say the 2 Disc extras are fluff...there are documentaries aired on TV. They are GOOD extras...they just aren't new!

The 4 disc will have NEW stuff, created just for the EV DVD.

Both look good to me!

Ryan, Welcome to HTF! We talked a lot about these DVD's over the past few weeks. To locate the thread, just do a search for "Lord of the Rings DVD" Posted Image

Take care,
Chuck
Hey buddy...did you just see a real bright light?

#7 of 168 Jeff Rogers

Jeff Rogers

Second Unit

• 311 posts

Posted June 04 2002 - 01:14 PM

Maybe I mis-spoke.

As in fluff I mean Promotioanl Pieces. Most of it is a 10 second interview and then a clip of the movie...which we have already seen 10 times!!!

I want behind the scenes stuff.. I just get weary of made for t.v. promo spots eating up all of the valuable dvd space..

But they are more than making up for it in the long run with the new cut Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image
" Maam....maybe you don't understand, you ripped my clients arm off "

#8 of 168 Oscar

Oscar

Second Unit

• 419 posts

Posted June 04 2002 - 02:32 PM

I still don´t know which to buy.
I brought the Harry Potter DVD which i considered as a NOT keeper, now i decided to stay with the disc.
In spite of all the fluff.

#9 of 168 Matt Pelham

Matt Pelham

Screenwriter

• 1,711 posts

Posted June 04 2002 - 04:52 PM

Can't wait for the extended 5-disc set!!! Although no extras have been announced yet, I would expect a nice LONG in-depth documentary on the Nov. release. According to my "Lord of the Rings: Official Movie Guide" it mentions that Video Documentarian Costa Botes has been filming the filmakers at work since the earliest days of the project.

#10 of 168 CamiloCamacho

CamiloCamacho

Stunt Coordinator

• 124 posts

Posted June 05 2002 - 03:14 AM

I'm waiting the 5 disc version too, but i hope they release the price with enough time, so us, students can save for it!.

#11 of 168 Qui-Gon John

Qui-Gon John

Producer

• 3,527 posts

Posted June 05 2002 - 04:53 AM

I want the extended version, and if the added scenes are done as good as I think and add what i think they'll add, then I don't really think I'd care to ever watch just the theatrical version again.

I am upset that the extended version is going to be a spanner. I sure wish they'd have fit it all on 1 DVD.

(One DVD to bring them all and in the darkness bind them).

#12 of 168 Jeff Kleist

Jeff Kleist

Executive Producer

• 11,286 posts

Posted June 05 2002 - 05:18 AM

It's impossible to fit the 3.5 hour cut onto 1 DVD with a DTS track and 3 commentaries and not have it look like crap

#13 of 168 Qui-Gon John

Qui-Gon John

Producer

• 3,527 posts

Posted June 05 2002 - 06:03 AM

So certain are you, always with you what cannot be done, hear you nothing that I say.

Posted Image

Just kidding, couldn't resist, since you said 'impossible'. There's always a bigger fish, or a new technology.

#14 of 168 Dan Hitchman

Dan Hitchman

Screenwriter

• 2,714 posts

Posted June 05 2002 - 06:10 AM

If the DC is spread to two discs then I would assume there is room for a DTS-ES Discrete 6.1 track.

Hell, if Rush Hour 2 and Bones can get complete, quality DTS-ES 6.1 remixes (these movies were originally shown theatrically with 5.1 channel mixes without even matrix EX/ES encoding) then surely a movie with a soundtrack originally made to have a back channel, such as Lord of the Rings, would sound even better if they can take the separate digital audio stems and design a fully discrete back channel for DTS-ES.

Dan

#15 of 168 Joshua Moran

Joshua Moran

Supporting Actor

• 506 posts

Posted June 05 2002 - 06:42 AM

The region 4 extended cut has been confirmed with a French DTS 5.1 and English DTS 6.1 soundtrack. The movie is spread across 2 discs as well. www.darkhorizons.com has the news story. I would safly assume that the region 1 version will be the same minus the french track.

#16 of 168 Jason Elrod

Jason Elrod

Auditioning

• 9 posts

Posted June 05 2002 - 06:51 AM

Has anyone thought of how they will span a DTS track across 2 disk's. As I see it, there can't be a seamless transition when you swap disk's. It would have to have a small menu to allow selection of DD or DTS.

#17 of 168 Joseph Young

Joseph Young

Screenwriter

• 1,355 posts

Posted June 05 2002 - 07:20 AM

I would much rather see the extended version spread out over two discs, if that meant the best possible audio and video presentation, but somehow I doubt this will be done, and video may be sacrificed for the DTS-ES discrete track.

Perhaps the new, amended cut could include an intermission, whereby the transition from disc 1 to disc 2 would not be so jarring?

-j

#18 of 168 DaViD Boulet

DaViD Boulet

Lead Actor

• 8,805 posts

Posted June 05 2002 - 07:35 AM

Joseph,

agreed.
Be an Original Aspect Ratio Advocate

Supporter of 1080p24 video and lossless 24 bit audio.

#19 of 168 Dan Brecher

Dan Brecher

Producer

• 3,452 posts

Posted June 05 2002 - 07:35 AM

Quote:
Perhaps the new, amended cut could include an intermission, whereby the transition from disc 1 to disc 2 would not be so jarring?

I'd hope this is the case. If they can do a proper intermission sequence for Pearl Harbour to bridge the directors cut spanning 2 discs, then...

Disc 2 could open immediately with an audio selection menu, you pick your choice are taken into an Entre'Acte. That would be perfect. Fingers crossed.

Dan

#20 of 168 Jeff Kleist

Jeff Kleist

Executive Producer

• 11,286 posts

Posted June 05 2002 - 07:41 AM

The break in PH DC is virtually identical

Personally I expect LOTR's break to be after the naming of the Fellowship

Forum Nav Content I Follow