What's new

Lord of the Rings extended DVD (1 Viewer)

RyanCorkum

Auditioning
Hey everyone! I'm new to these boards, so I apologize ahead of time for any references and/or things said that may have already been mentioned.

I am curious about the 4 disc version DVD of The Lord Of The Rings: The Fellowship Of The Ring - and whether or not it will also include the original theatrical version in addition to the extended version. The reason I ask if anyone knows is that I don't want to buy the August 2 disc DVD if the 4 disc has both versions.

If anyone knows anything about this at all, please let me know!

Thanks, and have a pleasent day.

DeepakJR

Second Unit
Real Name
Deepak
i read somewhere that the 4(or 5)disc version will not include the theatrical cut. they will have its own set up supplements for the specific cuts respectively.

Bryant Frazer

Stunt Coordinator
I would imagine that the amount of disc space devoted to each cut of the film (two dual-layer discs!) would pretty much preclude including both of them in one set.
On a related note, did anyone else see that the extended version of Fellowship actually got a PG-13, rather than the expected R? Billboard ran a note on this a few issues back, and you can check the re-rating at www.mpaa.org.
-bf-

Jeff Rogers

Second Unit
Welcome to Home Theater Forum.
To answer your question, the extended edition will not contain the original theatrical release. The movie will span 2 discs, the extras on 2 discs, and the National Geographic doc. on the 5th disc.
To be honest, the release in August seems to have a lot of fluff on it in terms of bonus material. A lot of the stuff is things that we have seen on t.v. before. (except the Two Towers preview)
The real meat and taters is on the extended version.
I'm gonna pick up both. :)

Sam Davatchi

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
SamD
On a related note, did anyone else see that the extended version of Fellowship actually got a PG-13, rather than the expected R?
I don’t think that it’s a surprise. Jackson himself did say that the added scenes are dialog and character development and not gore. He did mention that the rating most probably will not change.

Chuck Mayer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chuck Mayer
I wouldn't say the 2 Disc extras are fluff...there are documentaries aired on TV. They are GOOD extras...they just aren't new!
The 4 disc will have NEW stuff, created just for the EV DVD.
Both look good to me!
Ryan, Welcome to HTF! We talked a lot about these DVD's over the past few weeks. To locate the thread, just do a search for "Lord of the Rings DVD" :D
Take care,
Chuck

Jeff Rogers

Second Unit
Maybe I mis-spoke.
As in fluff I mean Promotioanl Pieces. Most of it is a 10 second interview and then a clip of the movie...which we have already seen 10 times!!!
I want behind the scenes stuff.. I just get weary of made for t.v. promo spots eating up all of the valuable dvd space..
But they are more than making up for it in the long run with the new cut :emoji_thumbsup: :) ;) ;) ;) ;)

Oscar

Second Unit
I still don´t know which to buy.
I brought the Harry Potter DVD which i considered as a NOT keeper, now i decided to stay with the disc.
In spite of all the fluff.

Matt Pelham

Screenwriter
Can't wait for the extended 5-disc set!!! Although no extras have been announced yet, I would expect a nice LONG in-depth documentary on the Nov. release. According to my "Lord of the Rings: Official Movie Guide" it mentions that Video Documentarian Costa Botes has been filming the filmakers at work since the earliest days of the project.

CamiloCamacho

Stunt Coordinator
I'm waiting the 5 disc version too, but i hope they release the price with enough time, so us, students can save for it!.

Qui-Gon John

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Co
I want the extended version, and if the added scenes are done as good as I think and add what i think they'll add, then I don't really think I'd care to ever watch just the theatrical version again.

I am upset that the extended version is going to be a spanner. I sure wish they'd have fit it all on 1 DVD.

(One DVD to bring them all and in the darkness bind them).

Jeff Kleist

Senior HTF Member
It's impossible to fit the 3.5 hour cut onto 1 DVD with a DTS track and 3 commentaries and not have it look like crap

Qui-Gon John

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Co
So certain are you, always with you what cannot be done, hear you nothing that I say.
:)
Just kidding, couldn't resist, since you said 'impossible'. There's always a bigger fish, or a new technology.

Dan Hitchman

Senior HTF Member
If the DC is spread to two discs then I would assume there is room for a DTS-ES Discrete 6.1 track.

Hell, if Rush Hour 2 and Bones can get complete, quality DTS-ES 6.1 remixes (these movies were originally shown theatrically with 5.1 channel mixes without even matrix EX/ES encoding) then surely a movie with a soundtrack originally made to have a back channel, such as Lord of the Rings, would sound even better if they can take the separate digital audio stems and design a fully discrete back channel for DTS-ES.

Dan

Joshua Moran

Supporting Actor
The region 4 extended cut has been confirmed with a French DTS 5.1 and English DTS 6.1 soundtrack. The movie is spread across 2 discs as well. www.darkhorizons.com has the news story. I would safly assume that the region 1 version will be the same minus the french track.

Jason Elrod

Auditioning
Has anyone thought of how they will span a DTS track across 2 disk's. As I see it, there can't be a seamless transition when you swap disk's. It would have to have a small menu to allow selection of DD or DTS.

Joseph Young

Screenwriter
I would much rather see the extended version spread out over two discs, if that meant the best possible audio and video presentation, but somehow I doubt this will be done, and video may be sacrificed for the DTS-ES discrete track.

Perhaps the new, amended cut could include an intermission, whereby the transition from disc 1 to disc 2 would not be so jarring?

-j

Dan Brecher

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Daniel
Perhaps the new, amended cut could include an intermission, whereby the transition from disc 1 to disc 2 would not be so jarring?
I'd hope this is the case. If they can do a proper intermission sequence for Pearl Harbour to bridge the directors cut spanning 2 discs, then...

Disc 2 could open immediately with an audio selection menu, you pick your choice are taken into an Entre'Acte. That would be perfect. Fingers crossed.

Dan

Jeff Kleist

Senior HTF Member
The break in PH DC is virtually identical

Personally I expect LOTR's break to be after the naming of the Fellowship

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maanw2357
Recent bookmarks