What's new

What is the best version of Lord of the ring’s (1 Viewer)

jim1174

Agent
Real Name
jim
I own the old extended Blu-ray Discs that come in the box that opens like a book. I know there is the 4k extended edition and a 2021 Blu-ray remaster. I have heard there are supposedly problems with the picture quality of the 4k. So What do most fans consider to be the best physical media version of lord of the rings?

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Hi Jim!

I am very surprised to hear there are problems with the picture quality of the 4k disc.

In fact, when the 4k release came out a few years ago, it was heralded for its transfer.

Additionally, Peter Jackson went back and redid many of the effects for this 4k release.

So, I would tell you that the 4k Extended Trilogy is the way to go.

Jeffrey D

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeffrey D Hanawalt
I second what Ronald says. The UHD release, especially for Fellowship, is superior for its color timing (the original BluRay looks too green to me). I think some were complaining about the latest releases because there is an occasional shot that looks like a video game (perhaps degrained).

OliverK

Senior HTF Member
I own the old extended Blu-ray Discs that come in the box that opens like a book. I know there is the 4k extended edition and a 2021 Blu-ray remaster. I have heard there are supposedly problems with the picture quality of the 4k. So What do most fans consider to be the best physical media version of lord of the rings?

I went with the extended Blu-rays the last time we watched this.
I watched the first one as a UHD but it was degrained and sharpened and from the same old master as the Blu-rays.

It seems ridiculous that Warner would dare to release something like that but here we are.
Color timing is better on the UHDs so we redid that for the second movie when we watched the Blu-ray, the third one was OK.

Overall for people who do not sit that close the UHDs may be better as then the issues are not as visible but if you are susceptible to degraining and/or sharpening stay away.

Overall a sad situation and hopefully one that will be addressed in the future.

Kyle_D

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Kyle Dickinson
The UHD is the way to go. Yes, they have been degrained and sharpened to more closely resemble the digitally captured Hobbit Trilogy, but even the original 2K DI theatrical releases used some heavy handed DNR. It’s what Jackson prefers.

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member
Other than some excessive DNR in "The Two Towers" in a few spots the UHD versions are gorgeous. 4K are the absolute best versions of the films.

MarkantonyII

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Mark
FotR was originally finished in 35mm, TTT & RotK were shot in 35mm, but finished as very early 2K DI's with it's SDR colour corrections.

All original effects were at a max of 2K, poss HD or less.

For the new 4K DI's there has been limited tech info - there looks to be some upscaling for certain shots, the film elements were all re-scannned in 4K - but whether these were only used for non-fx/recomp sequences i'm not sure.

What is certain is several CG effects have been upgraded/re-composited/entirely redone.

Peter Jackson is not afraid of DNR/degraining/sharpening/etc where he believes it improves the image.

He is also trying to create a uniform look with The Hobbit films - which were all shot digitally in 5K!

What is certain is they look exactly like he want's them to look, in HDR, circa 2021.

In my opinion, on a 65" OLED, they look fabulous - given they are an effects-heavy, 20 year old production, not originally envisiged for, or capable of being created at, 4K HDR.

A definite improvement over the Blu's, and leaps and bounds over the extended DVD's!

The brand-new Atmos mixes are fabulous too.

M

Last edited:

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
The 4ks are the way to go. Stunning quality.

It was the earlier blu-rays that had some fans saying the colors were off, and that there was a green/blue tint to certain scenes, like the Misty Mountains. That is not the case with the 4k discs.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mycuu
Recent bookmarks