What's new

Lord of the Rings extended DVD (1 Viewer)

Kyle.G

Grip
Peter Jackson will not screw anything up. Don't worry guys! He takes his LOTR films very seriously--he wouldn't release pure junk, nor would he release something that has an akward transition. At least that's what I think.

John CW

Supporting Actor
It's more likely the break will occur as Arwen (Liv Tyler) is crying over Frodo after he's been attacked and Frodo drifts off into his weird dream
as in the book (Book One ends there and Book Two continues when Frodos revived at the House of Elrond
I think it'd be perfect timing personally, making Frodo's dream state linger on until you inserted the second disc and discover it's "ten in the morning of October 24th if you want to know" ;)
Hmmm, not sure if I needed all those spoilers! ;)
~ John

John_Berger

Senior HTF Member
All right, I'm going to show my ignorance here, but that's okay. Others probably are wondering the same thing but are afraid to ask. :)
Is it not feasible to have the whole movie on one disc for DD 5.1 and another disc for DTS with ZERO extras on said discs? What would the video bit rates be restricted to, assuming 240 minutes of movie time?

Jeff Kleist

Senior HTF Member
Yes, it would be. I don't know about with the DTS track, that's REALLY pushing it, 240min is the max recommended for a dual layer DVD with just DD

I don't understand what the big deal is with having to switch a disc. If it bothers you that much, get a player that has a changer built in

Bryant Frazer

Stunt Coordinator
I don’t think that it’s a surprise. Jackson himself did say that the added scenes are dialog and character development and not gore. He did mention that the rating most probably will not change.
Given that New Line said in a March 26 press release that the new version of the film "will likely have an R rating," it was a surprise to me.

-bf-

Dan Brecher

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Daniel
Given that New Line said in a March 26 press release that the new version of the film "will likely have an R rating," it was a surprise to me.
That thinking was done due to a brief extension at Amon Hen which is said to be along the lines of ten arrows being fired off into a single orc, but even with that it passed as PG-13.

Dan

Richard Ruffner

Stunt Coordinator
Completists are going to want both. I might have waited for the 4 disc version extended cut, but my wife informed me, "No we're getting both.". Seems she liked the movie even more than I did. :)

John_Berger

Senior HTF Member
I don't understand what the big deal is with having to switch a disc. If it bothers you that much, get a player that has a changer built in
Yeah. I have piles of money sitting around so that I can buy a new DVD changer.
Boy. Ask a simple question ... :rolleyes

John CW

Supporting Actor
If you don't mind crappy video and sound why don't you just buy the (inevitable) bootleg? Crap video, crap sound and all on one disc - amazing! Personally I could do with the exercise! ;)
~ John

Sam Davatchi

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
SamD
By the way, I’m also very curious about the extended version and it will be like a bonus for me. The real version will be the original cut that I saw in the theaters. 28 minutes is a lot and it is amazing that how with adding the wrong scenes and too much stuff you can easily ruin a masterpiece and transform it into an average movie! Lets hope that Peter Jackson is more successful at that than James Cameron because his only Special Edition that I “liked“ was T2 and the others I hated! So it’s not a sure thing at all!

John_Berger

Senior HTF Member
If you don't mind crappy video and sound why don't you just buy the (inevitable) bootleg? Crap video, crap sound and all on one disc - amazing! Personally I could do with the exercise!
Jeez! Ask why it can't fit on one disc and the assumptions start flying! All that I asked is why it is not being done and what the bit rate would be! I didn't expect the Spanish Inquisition! :D

Dan Hitchman

Senior HTF Member
I thought the theatrical cut was too chopped up. Perhaps this 28 minutes will put some breathing room into the frantic pacing.

Even with some problems this film is SOOOOOOO much better than the destroyed Star Wars franchise IMHO.

Dan

Vickie_M

Senior HTF Member
Even with some problems this film is SOOOOOOO much better than the destroyed Star Wars franchise IMHO.
This is so not necessary.
In MHO, LOTR is pertnear perfect (what problems??), and the wonderful Star Wars franchise is doing just fine, thank you very much.
Vickie (who'll be buying...well, probably all 3 FOTR releases)

Kami

Screenwriter
It's available for pre-order now at a US store.
Special Gift Set 5 disc Extended Edition - $69.95:
Link Removed
Link Removed
Extended Edition (4 disc) - $29.95
Link Removed
Link Removed
I'm guessing we will be able to find the 5disc for at least $10-$20 cheaper on opening week at the discount places.

Matt Pelham

Screenwriter
Are those pins down at the bottom right there? Also that picture is not to scale, because I remember the bookends being about as tall as the DVD case itself. I will gladly fork over my $$$ for this one!

Bill McCamy

Second Unit
Real Name
Gasim de Paris
Reading the ad copy, those are trading cards, not pins. Interesting how this $70 set compares with the $70 E.T. set. The movie only extended version disc is available for $30. New Line is a lot more fan friendly than Universal, or is it Spielberg and Jackson I should be comparing?

Chuck Mayer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chuck Mayer
Probably the companies. Spielberg is a friend to the fans...maybe not to the extent the VERY considerate PJ is, but I doubt Steven is trying to shill us. Universal, however...is the same company that made FOUR versions of American Pie 2.
New Line has generated a LOT of goodwill in their handling of the now-classic FOTR, and they want to do it right (and make a lot of money). Fortunately for them (the other companies still don't get this), those principles go hand in hand.
I don't HAVE to pay $70 to get what I want from NL. I can pay $50. So I choose to pay $70.
I have to pay $70 to get the ONE movie I want from Universal. And I might not get any, unless I can get it under $50.
Just happy with the Fall release schedule:)
Take care,
Chuck

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks