What's new

How come no John Wayne Westerns from Fox????? (1 Viewer)

Doug Abbott

Agent
How come CBS/Fox has not released any of their great John Wayne western movies on DVD. Film's like "Big Jake, Comencheros, Rio Lobo, and North To Alaska. John Wayne is still remembered and loved by thousands of movie lovers around the world and in a recent poll came in as still one of America's true real life heroes, 25 years after his death. In fact CBS/Fox hasn't released any of their classic westerns to DVD, My Darling Clementine with Henry Fonda to name just one. They release every other format, some titles twice, along with a ton of crap aimed at teenagers.
Their are tons of 40, 50 and 60 year olds out here with lots of money to spend who really like the westerns which we grew up with. How about releasing some of them. Since I bought my DVD 3 years ago I've bought more than 700 dvd's and every western that has been issued on DVD. I don't rent movies and I wouldn't buy a VHS tape if it were only a $1.00. I belong to a western collectors club with more than 1000 members and everyone in the club collects and loves the classic western movies. Now that a DVD recorder is available from Pioneer I guess we'll have to burn our own westerns for our members to trade, because it sure looks like Fox isn't interested in selling us any on DVD.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
That old CBS/Fox arrangement doesn't apply in dvd releases. Fox owns the exclusive dvd rights to most of those films released under the CBS/Fox banner from the video tape era. Personally, I think Fox believes these titles won't sell enough dvds to justify a dvd release. I've become very disenchanted with Fox holding on to several of their catelogue titles. Sure, over the last year or so, they've done some wonderful work in the dvd field but they remain uncommitted to releasing several of their classic film titles particularly in the drama, western, and film noir genres.
Doug,
By the way, I've edited the thread title to reflect Fox's ownership of those John Wayne westerns. Also, I would be remiss, if I didn't welcome you to the forum.
Crawdaddy
------------------
[Edited last by Robert Crawford on August 22, 2001 at 09:42 PM]

Doug Bull

Advanced Member
Real Name
Doug Bull
Paramount seem to be doing OK with their John Wayne Westerns, so how about it FOX.
Fox certainly have a wealth of WESTERNS that would be more than welcome on DVD.
The Undefeated - John Wayne and Rock Hudson
Bandolero - James Stewart and Dean Martin
Hombre - Paul Newman
Stagecoach - The remake with Ann-Margret
Rio Conchos - Stuart Whitman
The Comancheros - John Wayne
North to Alaska - John Wayne
Flaming Star - Elvis in his best role
The Bravados - Gregory Peck and Lee van Cleef
Love me Tender - Elvis again
White Feather - Robert Wagner (Whatever happened to this one, I remember it as a kid, being really spectacular)
The Tall Men - Clark Gable
River of no Return - Marilyn Monroe
Garden of Evil - Great Western with a classic Herrmann score)
Broken Lance - Spencer Tracy
Viva Zapata! - Brando and Quinn
Rawhide - Tyrone Power
The Gunfighter - Gregory Peck
Yellow Sky - Peck and Widmark
Broken Arrow - James Stewart
My Darling Clementine - John Ford classic
The Ox-Bow incedent - Dark Western with Henry Fonda
Western Union - Great Color Western
Belle Star - another terrific colorful western
Brigham Young - Tyrone Power
Jesse James - Tyrone Power and Henry Fonda
Drums along the Mohawk - John Ford classic
Ramona - Fox's first Technicolor Western.
That is a list of most of FOX's A Grade Westerns and it does not take into account their B Westerns.
So it would appear that FOX is sitting on a wealth of titles, most of which would return good $$ PROFITS for them.
Peter if you read this, please give it some consideration.
Westerns have a BIG following, the World over.
------------------

Glenn Overholt

Senior HTF Member
Yeah, but its not just Fox. The other studios are reluctant to issue the classics as well. Us older folks :) are past the target audience, but they're missing the point that we have more disposible income and thus are more likely to buy even titles that weren't blockbusters.
Maybe a limited run would work out better. I'd be happy to get them even if they were bare-boned releases, but I think they'd be surprised at how many they'd sell.
Glenn

Larry Bevil

Second Unit
I also am a big time John Wayne fan. I buy every one of the John Wayne dvds the date they are issued. So, I heartily encourage FOX to release more of their John Wayne classic films on the DVD format.

Jeff Ulmer

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
I wonder if some of the lesser known titles would work well as competatively priced double features. Surely John Wayne could support individual releases, perhaps in a themed box set like the Marilyn Monroe set?
------------------
Link Removed | Burt Lancaster is Link Removed | dOc

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
I already have a wagonload of westerns in my collection. Just to throw a few out there off the top of my head that I already have:
  • Rio Bravo[*]How the West Was Won[*]Man With No Name Trilogy[*]El Dorado[*]True Grit[*]Rooster Cogburn and the Lady[*]Red River[*]Magnificent Seven[*]Unforgiven[*]Cat Ballou[*]Dances With Wolves[*]McLintock![*]Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid[*]Westworld
    biggrin.gif
BUUUT...I want more! The above list is just there to represent that we're willing to buy western films! I'm looking for a bunch of the titles already brought up. I can't believe that Hondo hasn't made it yet! And my favorite Duke film of all time is Big Jake.
"Where's the {movie}, Daddy?"
tongue.gif

Note to self: pick up High Noon soon, since your relative (Tex Ritter) sung the oscar-winning song on it.
------------------
DAVE/Memphis
My 3-year-old enjoying Superman - The Movie in widescreen:
Steve_Widescreen.jpg

(Some of my DVD's are to the left side of the picture)
WidescreenSupport.jpg

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
Perhaps it's no classic, but I'd love to see Cahill-US Marshall on DVD.
"You'd even shoot a dead man!"
George Kennedy is great.

Peter M Fitzgerald

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Peter Fitzgerald
If these classic Fox westerns were released on DVD, I'd buy them:
  • MONTE WALSH (1970)
  • DRUMS ALONG THE MOHAWK (1939)
  • MY DARLING CLEMENTINE (1946)
  • Double-feature: THE OX-BOW INCIDENT (1943) & YELLOW SKY (1948)
  • Double-feature: THE GUNFIGHTER (1950) & RAWHIDE (1951)
  • Double-feature: WESTERN UNION (1941) & BUFFALO BILL (1944)
  • Double-feature: GARDEN OF EVIL (1954) & FROM HELL TO TEXAS (1958)
  • Double-feature: FORTY GUNS (1957) & THE FIEND WHO WALKED THE WEST (1958)
  • THE BRAVADOS (1958)
  • WARLOCK (1959)
Please, Fox, dig deeper into your classics catalog!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks