What's new

From Hell to Texas" (1958): Criterion BD Edition Long Overdue (1 Viewer)

cineescape

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
gregory
Here's the appeal sent yesterday to [email protected]

It was a sad day for cinephiles when Disney gobbled up Fox Studios, and with it the Fox library of classic films.

Even worse, as proof of Hollywood's ongoing drive to kill the optical disc format, Disney is probably first major to have closed down most of its DVD and BD pressing plants-at least throughout most of Asia. So, there's little chance that this gem from the Western genre will ever have the BD edition release which should have happened long ago. https://livius1.com/2022/06/06/from-hell-to-texas/

Along with a memorable cast (Chill Wills may never have been so lively, warm and hospitable, plus opposite R.G. Armstrong in a rare leading role), are DP Wilfred Cline's displaying some of California's most stunning desert landscapes, Chester (Outer Limits) Bayhi's handsomely rustic set direction and Edward Powell's orchestrations of Daniele Amfitheatrof superb score. Brilliantly recorded in 4-track stereo for its theatrical release, even though later mixed down to two channel stereo, the Irvine & Leonard soundtrack of a 50s film delivers impressive dynamics, low distortion and frequency response even from the lossy DVD audio.

Here's a youtube some kind soul had uploaded though A/V technical quality may not justly present the film.

A western this rare in many ways and superbly produced deserves nothing less than the full Criterion Blu-Ray treatment.

Please make the BD release happen this year!

If you agree please let Criterion know. :)

Note that I had first asked VCI Entertainment but Robert Blair said they don't have the pull with Disney that Criterion does.

Last edited by a moderator:

Capt D McMars

Bernuli Tech Vet
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Doc Sigmier
You can always search either German or Italian labels...maybe even Japanese because they all love Westerns genre...more so than here in the states, apparently!!

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
We don't allow direct links to bootleg videos on YouTube.

5. Respect for copyrights. Home Theater Forum has a strict policy of respecting the rights of copyright holders. We do not allow promotion of bootleg material or discussion on how to obtain it, and we immediately delete all links to sites that deal in bootleg material. If you have any doubt whether a source is legitimate, please check with a moderator before posting any links. We also do not allow discussion of (a) how to make unauthorized copies of video or audio materials, (b) how to defeat any form of copy protection (including, for example, how to make "personal" copies of commercially produced DVDs), and/or © how to obtain equipment that can only be used for such purposes. In one form or another, this rule goes back to the very origins of HTF. We are serious about it. Please do not try to debate copyright law with us. We're not interested in discussing what the law should be. Public discussion about copyright law is allowed as long as it doesn't violate any portion of this or any other site rule. We believe it is in the best interest of HTF to enforce this policy strictly, and members test it at their peril.

cineescape

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
gregory
Why bother Criterion when you already have access to a ripped off youtube version not sanctioned by Disney?
EVERYONE has access to that low quality thing. My appeal was for a "legitimate" release of a high quality BD edition. And I resent your implication that I'm a pirate.

Last edited:

cineescape

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
gregory
We don't allow direct links to bootleg videos on YouTube.
I repeat I am NOT a pirate. I purchased every DVD and BD in my collection. I only posted that LOW quality video for members to see how fine a story this was and that they might then join me in appealing to a quality label like Criterion to release a BD edition.

cineescape

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
gregory
You can always search either German or Italian labels...maybe even Japanese because they all love Westerns genre...more so than here in the states, apparently!!
Yes, I saw them for sale on Amazon. But there are no BD editions, and even the DVDs may not equal the quality of the OOP Fox edition.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I repeat I am NOT a pirate. I purchased every DVD and BD in my collection. I only posted that LOW quality video for members to see how fine a story this was and that they might then join me in appealing to a quality label like Criterion to release a BD edition.
I'm not saying you are a pirate. However, posting such links are not allowed here. People on this forum are well aware of where they can find low quality pirated videos.

Capt D McMars

Bernuli Tech Vet
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Doc Sigmier
Yes, I saw them for sale on Amazon. But there are no BD editions, and even the DVDs may not equal the quality of the OOP Fox edition.
My option to you was to search, and not make assumptions.You may be pleasently surprised. But if don't search, it's certain you won't fine, good hunting!!

Thomas T

Senior HTF Member
EVERYONE has access to that low quality thing. My appeal was for a "legitimate" release of a high quality BD edition. And I resent your implication that I'm a pirate.
I did not imply that you're a pirate. After all, you didn't post it on youtube. As Robert Crawford says, everyone here already knows where to find low quality pirated videos. It really wasn't necessary for you to advertise the fact. That's all! Simple as that.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks