What's new

Weekly Roundup 2/12 (1 Viewer)

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
Thanks to everyone for their outpouring of support in putting this entire section back on the HTF map. It gives me a place to do this weekly "column" of mine! :)
Why do I do this? I don't know anymore. I roped myself into it, and in a funny way I like it a lot. A) I get to gossip, and B) You're gratitude gives me a swelled head. In fact, my ego's getting bigger than my wife's rack. At that's pretty huge! :D
Without further ado, here is the latest grid:

_______TITLE__________Amazon_BestBuy_CrcCity_CostCo_SamsClub
Bad News Bears_______$18.99__$19.99__$19.99__$_N/A___$_N/A_
Bad News Bears iBT___$18.74__$19.99__$19.99__$_N/A___$_N/A_
Bad News Bears gtJ___$18.74__$19.99__$19.99__$_N/A___$_N/A_
Disney Peter Pan SE__$22.49__$17.99__$22.99__$17.49__$18.99
Disney's Amer. Lgds__$22.49__$19.99__$22.99__$19.99__$_N/A_
Hearts in Atlantis___$18.74__$19.99__$19.99__$16.99__$16.99
Mrs. Winterbourne____$18.71__$_N/A___$19.99__$_N/A___$_N/A_
Sesame Street #14____$12.74__$12.99__$12.99__$_N/A___$_N/A_
Sesame Street #15____$12.74__$12.99__$12.99__$_N/A___$_N/A_
Sid&M Krofft BoxSet__$37.46__$_N/A___$_N/A___$_N/A___$_N/A_
Wkg w/Prehistoric B__$26.24__$29.99__$24.99__$_N/A___$_N/A_

* As you can see from the grid, it doesn't look like the "World of Sid & Marty Krofft" box set will be in any of the big B&M stores, although Amazon and other e-tailers show that the release date is still on track for this Tuesday. Guess it's not thought of to be popular. Too bad; I know of at least one person who wants this badly.
* Sam's Club has the JVC DVD Player with the bonus behind-the-scenes-of-"Lord of the Rings" disc for just $139.98 (SRP is $250), with plenty of them in stock at my local outlet.
http://shop.newline.com/escalate/store/DetailPage?pls=newline&bc=newline&prod=013d80328437&clist=01368032f8ac:013d80328435:
* Best Buy has specs up to preorder Star Trek: The Next Generation Season 2. Here is the link to my HTF thread on the subject. Bonus CD-ROM included! Yeah, baby, YEAH!!
* Target shows $17.99 for Hearts in Atlantis and simply says "Low Price" on both Peter Pan Special Edition and American Legends. Plus, Peter Pan comes with a free movie ticket for Return to Neverland. Can someone who swings by Target please post some prices on the two Disney titles? Thanks.
* K-Mart is pushing the same 3 DVD titles that Target is, except their prices are all 3 quoted at $19.99. Yes, the free ticket to Return to Neverland is there for Peter Pan, too. That might be universally put on the package at the factory; I'm not sure. EDIT: Now I'm sure. I saw the package, and there's a factory sticker on the front indicating that the ticket is INSIDE the keepcase.
The latest markdowns according to VideoTropics web site (DVD Title/Old SRP/New SRP):
-------------------------
None posted! :frowning: Whaaaaaa...
Anyone know of any markdowns that VideoTropics might have missed? :confused:

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
David--
That Best Buy price for the Peter Pan SE looks pretty good. What's your source? My Best Buy flyer simply lists "hot price" next to its DVD image of Peter Pan. I thought $17.99 was their price for it, too--but realized the $17.99 belonged to the Princess Diaries right next to it.
Sure do hope that's their price! :D
And, keep up the good (no, GREAT) work! :emoji_thumbsup:

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
If you go to www.bestbuy.com, and look it up in the movies it will let you "buy" the title (it just puts it into your shopping cart, really...you can delete ). At that point the cart will show the sale price, which almost always is the same as the in-store price for a hot new title. Since the sale price begins today, technically, even though the title won't be on shelves until Tuesday, the website price reflects the sale price for this week.
Tuesday will prove me right or wrong, of course. If you want to try to save the couple of bucks and it's worth it, geographically, to you to plan to swing by a BB, then you can see if you can save the dough.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Excellent!:D
You can bet I'll be there at BB Tuesday! Thanks a lot!
I was REALLY surprised to see Peter Pan didn't even make it into the Circuit City flyer. :confused:

Mark Cappelletty

Senior HTF Member
$11.99 for the new Chris Isaak record, too.

Also, those of us with Fry's in the area, you might want to hold off until the weekend after that Tuesday-- I bought "Ghost World" for $20 then, only to have to schlep back yesterday to get $3 back, as it was advertised for $16.99 in Friday's paper.

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
Note that I could have gotten Peter Pan SE today, as a major retailer broke street date! Won't say who, though. :D
If I get it, I'll be waiting for that Best Buy value deal, with preferred customer 10% off on top!

Stephen L

Second Unit
. In fact, my ego's getting bigger than my wife's rack. At that's pretty huge!
htf_images_smilies_smiley_jawdrop.gif
I came into the thread looking for Peter Pan :SE and was pleasantly caught offguard by good ole rack talk.You always keep your "column" fresh David :) :emoji_thumbsup: .

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
My Best Buy flyer simply lists "hot price" next to its DVD image of Peter Pan. I thought $17.99 was their price for it, too--but realized the $17.99 belonged to the Princess Diaries right next to it.
hope no one else said this before but typically that is how best buys prices are for the hot price items. it will be the price that is closest to the hot price tab.

Terry H

Second Unit
hope no one else said this before but typically that is how best buys prices are for the hot price items. it will be the price that is closest to the hot price tab.
Yup. "Hearts in Atlantis" shows as $17.99 on their website today. In my view, it should have been listed at that price when the sale started Sunday.

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
But you see, Terry, that this is why Best Buy and others DON'T mark any other price on the flier other than "Hot Price".
So they can gauge what the competition is doing and adjust price accordingly at the last moment.
At the same time, it doesn't easily broadcast BB's intended price to the competition, so THEY cannot counter with the same tactics.
AND it gets the customer into the store on Tuesdays in order to check out the hot price themselves. If they're there, they might just buy it anyway, even if it's not the best deal in town on that item. OR, maybe they'll see something else they want. "All foot traffic is good foot traffic"; the retailer's credo! :)

Costco here in CT has Walking with Prehistoric Beasts for $22.99.

Also, they finally have the Fawlty Towers complete collection set for $38.99.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Did anyone actually go to Best Buy today and get the Peter Pan SE for $17.99? I didn't get a chance. Hope to go tomorrow.

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
Not only is Best Buy selling it for $17.99, but if you pick up a copy without the free ticket inside (you can tell because it won't have the sticker on the front advertising the ticket's precense), then they will discount an additional $5.50 (the value of the kid's ticket that's missing) from the price.
A thread in the Software Section is my source for this, and folk are reporting that they are indeed getting the $12.49 price on this item! Your Milage May Vary! :P

Gabe D

Senior HTF Member
I bought Hearts in Atlantis at Sam's Club yesterday for $17.97, not $16.99. It's the first time I've seen a Sam's website price different from the b&m price.

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
Unfortunately, that's not the first time that I've seen a difference in the Costco prices. :frowning: It happens; sorry!
On a different note, if you want to get The World of Sid & Marty Krofft Boxset at a B&M store, try Borders. I forget the price, but I saw it in stock last night while I stopped by to pick up a Valentine's gift for my wife.

Terry H

Second Unit
But you see, Terry, that this is why Best Buy and others DON'T mark any other price on the flier other than "Hot Price".

So they can gauge what the competition is doing and adjust price accordingly at the last moment.

At the same time, it doesn't easily broadcast BB's intended price to the competition, so THEY cannot counter with the same tactics.
What you say seems logical but I have been told that another reason ads advertise HOT PRICE (or similar wording) in lieu of an actual price because a studio has set a "minimum advertised price". I understand that sellers who do not comply with the studio's wishes are "punished" in various ways. They may not get special promothions or advertising or ... whatever. Anyway, this is where the "price proximity theory" comes in. Simply, the HOT PRICE is actually priced the same as the item closest to it. I was skeptical at first but have never seen it fail. Presumably, this proximity pricing lets the retailer comply with the letter of the agreement but also advertise their real selling price. I suppose the "minimum advertised price" agreement ends after the item actually hits the street. I understand you once worked in retail so I would be interested to know if there is any truth in what I have been told.

Larry Geller

Supporting Actor
Terry is absolutely correct here.

At the same time, it doesn't easily broadcast BB's intended price to the competition, so THEY cannot counter with the same tactics
Please show me ONE instance where this has ever happened, and besides, this is not just a Best Buy ploy, they ALL do this (CC, Target, The Wiz, Coconuts), also I have had many price matches off of a "Hot price"--all the B&Ms know what's up with this practice--let's just hope it doesn't end!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks