What's new

Who has tatoos? (1 Viewer)

Dave Poehlman

Senior HTF Member
I have been half-considering getting one... but I can't seem to come up with any good ideas for what to get. I don't want to get Jiminy Cricket smoking a joint or anything like that (no offense to any of you that actually have the Jiminy Cricket smoking a joint). And if I see the tazmanian devil one more time, I will puke (again.. no offense). I'm not bad-assed enough for a skull or a dragon.

I want something that will make people say.. "did you see that guy's tatoo? Weird." Also something not too big. I don't need a pirate ship on my chest.

And then.. where do I get it?

I guess this is winding up to be a survey.. what and where do you guys have tatoos?

Shawn C

Screenwriter
portrait.jpg

Ron-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ron
:laugh:
I'd like to get one of the Green Fairy, just not sure how my wife would handle it.
Peace Out~:D

Max Knight

Supporting Actor
I've got the japanese character "Ki" (maybe more familiar in Chinese as chi, vital energy) tattooed between my shoulder blades.

-Max

Rain

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rain
I have

1. Sun on my back.

2. Question Mark on right arm/shoulder

3. Japanese symbol for "rain" on left shoulder

4. half moon on left shin

5. smiley face with tribal design on right shin.

Lary Larson

Stunt Coordinator
I've got one on my shoulder blade - the Japanese characters that represent my late dog's name - Bandit. It also happens to have the double-meaning of "rebel," so when anyone who didn't know Bandit asks what it means I just say "rebel."

I wouldn't get a tattoo that didn't have a significant personal meaning. I knew I wanted a tribute to my dog and the tat idea sprang from that. I tried to make it as significant as possible for me: it's Japanese because I speak it, it has the double-meaning so I don't have to rehash a painful period in my life with those who aren't in-the-know, it's on my left side because that's the side she walked on.

As far as where to go - do some research before just showing up at a place. Make absolutely sure you know what their safety procedures are and that you're comfortable with them. Go through the artists' photos of their work to make sure you like their style. Most of the parlors in Madison have web sites with FAQs and their procedures and examples of work - that's probably a good place to start.

Lary

Jason Handy

Second Unit
I know it is cliche, but I have a Dao symbol (Yin-Yang) on my left shoulder. It is only about 1.5" in diameter, and it is very simple. I got it 9 years ago, when I was young and vaive, and thought the Yin-Yang represented harmony in nature and the strange dichotomy present in every facet of life.
Well...I was only 18 so don't hold it against me :D
Jason

Micah Cohen

Screenwriter
Crimony, Ron, she's not all that. Christina! I keep saying Christina!
Lary's right. Research is the key to tattoos. Research your image, your artist, your life -- because they don't come off, ever. (I know that seems obvious, but I know many artists who say that the one thing people keep forgetting is that this is permanent! Make sure you put it in a place you are comfortable with all the time.)
Also, artists I know speak of the "habit." Once you have one, be ready to feel a need to get more. It's habit forming (I think it has to do with discovering how easy it is to break the taboo). And expensive. Plan now for more, so you don't end up with one here, one there, one over here, which I believe is unattractive. (Not that I need you to be attractive to me -- and no offense to Rain, who I respect and enjoy from his postings here -- but I've always thought that lots of little tats scattered pell mell over a body, especially a female body, is less attractive that one coherent design. That's just me.)
Find someone who has a tattoo you think is cool, and ask them who did it; find that artist. Talk to the artist. Let them sketch your design first.
Be really serious when that needle hits your skin. Cause that's it, over and done with.
Green fairy. Sheesh.
MC

Dean DeMass

Screenwriter
I only have one tatoo, it is on my left calf and it is a Steal Your Face with Jerry Garcia in the center. His glasses are kaliedescopes (sp?), and his hair and beard are a solar system with planets and stars. The steal Your Face also has tears coming from each eye. I love it and I miss Jerry. :frowning:
-Dean-

Dave Poehlman

Senior HTF Member
Thanks for the input. I was thinking of something on the upper back.. just above the shoulder blades. Something I can hide when dressing up, but can show off at the beach.
I thought about some Japanese word... mostly because I like the Japanese. But I have the biggest fear the word wouldn't mean what I thought. I would hate to have "kick me" on my back in Japanese and think it was my name or something.
Here's an interesting site: http://www.symbols.com/
Mostly because I am a space cowboy. ;)

Clinton McClure

Rocket Science Department
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Clint
Dave - I have two tattoos...one on each arm just below the shoulder. On the right arm is a blue English dragon. The one on the left arm is a green Chinese dragon with orange accents wrapped around a Yin/Yang. The cool thing about this one is the orange is iridescent in black light. The artist didn't know exactly why, he just said it was something about the alcohol used to mix that particular batch of orange ink.

Follow the link in my sig which takes you to my website (Casa del Clint). I have pics of both tattoos on my pictures page.

Habit forming is correct. When I got the blue dragon, I liked it so well and it was such a rush, I went back the next week and got the green one. I want to go back in the future and get a tribal band around my right arm to give the blue dragon a little more volume.

Whatever you decide to get, or wherever you decide to get it, it will be a permanent part of your persona. Enjoy.

Scott Hayes

Second Unit
I got Conan the Barbarian killing a giant snake in a swamp on my upper right arm .

Ive got a tattooed and pireced alien holding and studying the earth and an alien girl with big boobs in a half shirt and hot pants walking her alien pet with her hot rod rockit ship behind her on my lower right arm. The black and grey work is done on the alien girl, will probably have it colored in this month.

The Alien holding the earth won 3rd place in best of show at a tatoo convention in Hartford. All my tats were done by an incredible artist by the name of Jake Punzalon. He and his work have been showcased in many of the tatoo magazines. I was lucky enough to meet him before he started getting the recognition, so I still get my work done cheep.

Be prepaired, most people who study what they want and get it done end up getting alot more tatoos in the future. Its an addiction in some ways. Twenty years from now I have no doubt I will be completely covered.

Dave Poehlman

Senior HTF Member
(Really Janna? I did a search for tatoos before posting.)

Iridescent ink? Thats cool... hmmm... an iridescent atom on my back.. hmm...

Mike Broadman

Senior HTF Member
I have a sunburst Gibson Les Paul on my right arm below the shoulder, approx. 5 inches long.

The decisions to get it was impulsive (spring break), but I haven't regretted it since, nor do I want another one. Since the decisions was impulsive, I didn't do any "research" except for comparing a couple of places and going with the one that looked the best.

I didn't get it to represent anything meaningful, I just thought it would look cool there. I don't even play guitar past a basic level, which can be annoying to explain to people. But I still like it there.

DennisHP

Second Unit
My brother has one on his right shoulder blade that says FUCK YOU. He was having a bad day so make sure you're in ther right frame of mind when you go in to get one.

Micah Cohen

Screenwriter
Dave, your idea to get one on your back where you can hide it or show it off is just my kind of thinking.

The look on people's faces -- people who have known me all dressed up -- when I go swimming is PRICELESS! It's a secret part of me, a true part of me, that I love and treasure. And you only get to see it if I choose to show it to you. I was heavily tattooed for over 10 years before even my mother knew.

Plus, when I got part of my back done at Dynamic on Long Island (still there?), Eric used glow-in-the-dark ink on some skull's eyes! Under blacklight -- back in the blacklight 80s -- it was pretty wacky!

Most of all, have fun! Join us!

MC

Ron-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ron
Hey Micah, shave your back and take a pic so we can see your tats;)
...or you could always get this
christina1.jpg

Peace Out~:D

DougRuss

Stunt Coordinator
Get one of a Large Bar Code .....then you can freak people out by going to those Price Check Scanners found in some stores?
My son has one on his fore-arm.......doesn't look that bad ! :)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks