What's new

Home theater configuration question (1 Viewer)

costgeek

Auditioning
Real Name
Chris
Currently I have my home theater wired a certain way, but I'm wondering if another configuration might be better. I've only got 4 devices: HDTV, DVR, BR-DVD, Speaker bar.

So here's my question:

If I connect my DVR to the TV-HDMI-1 and my DVD to TV-HDMI-2, will I be able to run a single optical cable from the TV out to the speaker that will output sound based on the TV input selected?

The reason I ask is because I only have one optical input to the speaker, so I cannot use an optical cable for both the TV and DVD. Right now I have the DVR using the optical input to the speaker and the DVD uses RCA.

So I want to confirm that the optical output from the TV is based on which HDMI input is currently being displayed.

Thanks!

Chris

ArmSC

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Tony
Under normal circumstances the audio of whatever source is showing on the TV will be passed out though the optical cable to the device connected to it. So to answer your question "yes" you can connect the TV to the speaker bar and switch HDMI inputs and the audio will follow with the source. Of course this is assuming that you have everything set in the TV correctly (normally the defaults will do you just fine).

costgeek

Auditioning
Real Name
Chris
Excellent. Thank you. Will I be able to control the volume through the TV, or only at the speaker? In other words will the TV volume control have any effect on the output through the optical cable to the speaker?

ArmSC

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Tony
No the TV volume will only effect the volume on the TV speakers when you use an optical cable. If your TV has RCA/Analog audio outputs you can sometimes set those to respond to your TV remote. This depends on the TV model.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks