What's new

TV / Theater / Stereo Combo Setup (1 Viewer)

Vin_G

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Vince
I am selling my home, thus losing my big home theater in the basement. I will be moving to Arizona where there are no basements, so I will not have a dedicated home theater, but instead using the regular great-room setup.

Anyway here is my question. How should I configure my setup, such that I can easily switch between: watching tv, watching movies in surround and just listen to music in stereo? More specifically how can I simplify this setup for my wife so it is not a 2-5 step process to switch between each one? (surround system separate from stereo speakers on different channels for example)

Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne

Most receivers have a “stereo direct” setting. Just make sure you get one that has a button for that function on the remote (as opposed to finding it buried in a menu).

Regards,

Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Vin_G

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Vince
I see so I do not require two sets of speaks to simplify (i.e. one set of speaker for stereo and a different surround system). Basically stereo direct will allow me to switch to just listening to the front two speakers and will cut out the rest correct?

gene c

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gene
95% of us do exactly as your describing. We use our systems for surround sound movies, stereo music and music in surround sound, using one set of surround sound speakers. It usually requires pressing only a button or two to change from one to the other. Some receivers, like Yamaha's, have "Scene" buttons where you push one button on the remote control (Movie, Music, Radio, etc) and it accomplishes a variety of tasks like changing the input and the surround (or stereo) mode. They work much like the old "Macro" buttons used a few years ago. You can also buy a Harmony remote which is supposed to be very family-friendly.

I use a Pioneer receiver with matching Pioneer bluray player, dvd player and cd changer and it's quite simple to change from one to the other and select stereo or surround sound. In fact, I also use the receivers remote to control the bluray, dvd and cd players, with the exception of changing discs. That requires using the cd players remote.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Easiest thing to do is buy an AVR with a macro remote(Yamaha "scene" is a step beyond simple macro).

Nobody has issues running any of my systems...and they are all Onkyo/Integra with macro remotes.

Activities(the macros) are "my TV", "my movie" and "my music". Then there is an "all off".

If you(or her) can't figure that much out...

Vin_G

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Vince
Yes that is what I need just for simplicity. Is it an issue to be running a AVR all the time, as far as power consumption?

Secondly, I assume the macro remotes don't come with the new AVR's but are purchased separately?

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
It might be simpler than you think. Most AVRs have memory for the last mode used for a particular input. So, for instance, if you use a single (Blu-Ray) player for all discs, as long as it has a digital audio output along with hdmi, you can run the digital audio to the AVR along with hdmi and assign the digital audio as a CD input playing back in stereo. Every time you change to that input it will automatically switch to stereo. Some AVRs even let you assign one connection (hdmi for example) to multiple "inputs" with each one having a different default sound mode. Then, you just connect your hdmi and assign it to both the Blu-Ray and CD input, with CD defaulting to stereo. I do this with AppleTVs, which I have on all my systems. The hdmi is for video sources and defaults to surround, and the optical is assigned as a CD input and defaults to stereo.

Vin_G

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Vince
JohnRice said:
I do this with AppleTVs, which I have on all my systems. The hdmi is for video sources and defaults to surround, and the optical is assigned as a CD input and defaults to stereo.

Thanks for that advice. I will be using something similar to AppleTV so I need a similar setup (Minix). Of course I will have other peripherals.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
As long as the AVR has enough inputs, then there's no problem.

RolandL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Roland Lataille
Vin_G said:
I am selling my home, thus losing my big home theater in the basement. I will be moving to Arizona where there are no basements, so I will not have a dedicated home theater, but instead using the regular great-room setup.

Anyway here is my question. How should I configure my setup, such that I can easily switch between: watching tv, watching movies in surround and just listen to music in stereo? More specifically how can I simplify this setup for my wife so it is not a 2-5 step process to switch between each one? (surround system separate from stereo speakers on different channels for example)

Another thought if you have an extra room, is to convert that to a home theatre. I have two rooms over my garage. One is my home theatre and the other is a bedroom. The room is 15 by 11.5 ft. I have a L-shaped couch at one end with the projector, receiver, Blu-ray player and cable box behind it. Sub-woofer is on the side of the couch, surround speakers mounted on the side walls, front three speakers below the 138 inch image from the projector.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks