What's new

EXCLUSIVE: 1776 Audio Interview with Director Peter H. Hunt and Mini-Review of Blu-ray (1 Viewer)

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein

INTERVIEW WITH

DIRECTOR
PETER H. HUNT

I was very fortunate to be granted a phone interview with Director Peter H. Hunt this past week.

Rather than transcribe the entire interview into text, I had come up with a better plan of just presenting the actual audio of the phone interview for all of you, adding interesting video stills (which include never-before-seen photos) to help enhance the storytelling.

After watching the interview, I am going to offer a few thoughts about the reconstructed Blu-ray of "1776" which I just completed watching this very afternoon.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sU84JvdElq8&feature=youtu.be

It's been an interesting two years for fans looking for the "Holy Grail" versions of their favorite films on Blu-ray. In 2014 we finally were treated to a Roadshow version of It's A Mad, Mad, Mad, Mad World. Now a year later, we finally have the definitive release of 1776 on Blu-ray, with both the theatrical and extended editions of the film.

med_gallery_269895_23_174484.jpeg

(Actual Blu-ray screenshot click on photo to enlarge)

For those of us that owned the Pioneer Laserdisc of the early 1990s, this extended version will be the closest clone we will ever see of that release. While one can sit here and argue that mere seconds of footage (outside of an unauthorized overture) still haven't made it to this definitive edition, in the end it doesn't matter. Finally, the two key scenes that were missing from the reconstructed DVD release, "Piddle Twiddle and Resolve" and the reprise of "The Lees of Old Virginia" are finally intact here. There are also some very brief surprise additions.

For those of you watching this Blu-ray for the first time, there is no choice as to which version to see. The EXTENDED CUT is the better version of the film, whether you are familiar with the theatrical release or not. All the additional footage has been seamlessly added, with only a split-second of noticeable jump insertion editing during "Piddle Twiddle and Resolve."

med_gallery_269895_23_8772.jpeg

I sat and watched this film on a large 118" projection screen. Even at that size, I was stunned at how beautiful this new print from a 4k negative looks and sounds. It is not only better than the DVD, but leaps and bounds further. Just watch "The Less of Old Virginia" and marvel at the picture brightness, detail and color saturation. It's really something to behold! The indoor scenes of Independence Hall look extremely intricate and bold, with a nice underlying amount of film grain.

The film's 5.1 DTS-HD MA track seems to have a lot more punch to it over its predecessor. Dialogue and music are well balanced, and I was very pleased to find nice bass response supporting the film's more "rousing" musical numbers.

med_gallery_269895_23_80955.jpeg

When you watch this film for yourself, there will be no doubt in your mind that this was a project very close to the hearts of those who truly love this film. It is gorgeous. It is flawless. This is the release all of us had been hoping for since the introduction of Blu-ray in 2007.

As Robert Harris pointed out in his review, having Grover Crisp behind this project says everything about the flawless presentation of this Blu-ray. When Sony wasn't budging on requests to get a Blu-ray done, it was Grover and Jeremy Glassman that continued pushing on their end for this project to see the light of day. Trust me when I say, I thought this release was dead in the water and had no idea it was in the works until practically a few months prior to its announcement.

I am absolutely thrilled with this release. Every one of you will be as well.

David_B_K

Advanced Member
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
Great stuff, Ron! Can't wait to get my copy. A lot of water has gone under the bridge since the original "Will We Ever See 1776 on Blu-ray?" thread!

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Fascinating interview, Ron.

Great to hear "direct from the director" the stories that go along with so many of the legends of this particular film and it's history in home video releases.

Sigh...just two more weeks...of waiting.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
Mike Frezon said:
Fascinating interview, Ron.

Great to hear "direct from the director" the stories that go along with so many of the legends of this particular film and it's history in home video releases.

Sigh...just two more weeks...of waiting.
A LLLLLOOOONNNNGGGG two weeks of waiting!

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
Ronald Epstein said:
Now a year later, we finally have the definitive release of 1776 on Blu-ray, with both the theatrical and extended editions of the film.

I thought it didn't include the theatrical version of the film? I would love if it did - for historical purposes, it was the version that originally premiered to the moviegoing public and was the only one available for decades (and the version that I first saw and came to love), so I'd absolutely love to have it, but I thought it wasn't going to be a part of this release. If it is, that's fantastic news.

David_B_K

Advanced Member
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
Mr. Hunt's mention of having directed a play about the theatrical Booth family reminds me of the absence of a widescreen version of Prince of Players on any form of disc.

Steve...O

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve
Thank you, Ron. This was very enjoyable to listen to and the added visuals made it even better.

Rick Thompson

Screenwriter
Josh Steinberg said:
I thought it didn't include the theatrical version of the film? I would love if it did - for historical purposes, it was the version that originally premiered to the moviegoing public and was the only one available for decades (and the version that I first saw and came to love), so I'd absolutely love to have it, but I thought it wasn't going to be a part of this release. If it is, that's fantastic news.

Just hit the "next program" button on your remote when it's going into "Cool Considerate Men" and you'll get pretty much the same thing.

Mark-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark Probst
Ronald Epstein said:
It's been an interesting two years for fans looking for the "Holy Grail" versions of their favorite films on Blu-ray. In 2014 we finally were treated to a Roadshow version of It's A Mad, Mad, Mad, Mad World. Now a year later, we finally have the definitive release of 1776 on Blu-ray, with both the theatrical and extended editions of the film.

Moe Dickstein said:
It includes two directors cuts - the Theatrical version and the Extended home video version. The 1972 cut is not included.

I'm not sure why people keep referring to the 165 minute cut as the "theatrical version". The film was cut to 141 minutes before it was ever released making that the official theatrical version. I doubt anyone seriously laments that version from being included on this release.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
Mark-P said:
The film was cut to 141 minutes before it was ever released making that the official theatrical version. I doubt anyone seriously laments that version from being included on this release.
Me, a little bit.

But I say that with appreciation for the work that was done in bringing this director's cut to disc and don't mean my desire for the original theatrical version (the 141 minute version) to be a criticism against the people who worked so hard on this new disc. Nor do I mean for my desire to have the shorter version to be a criticism of anyone who prefers the longer version or dislikes the shorter version.

The shorter version is the version of the movie I first saw and enjoyed, and I think there's historical value (both of a personal nature, in getting to see it the way I remember, and the larger sense of having it available for posterity) in preserving the version that was originally released to audiences. It's not like the shorter version was a misguided fan edit or an illegitimate pirated version or a poorly conceived revision done years after the fact; it was an officially released version. It's inclusion might have helped people better appreciate the longer versions too. (Maybe if I could see them back to back in similar technical quality, I'd never want to see the shorter one again - it's certainly possible!)

With all of that said, I have the Blu-ray preordered. I might be a tiny bit disappointed that the other version isn't on here, but that doesn't mean I'm not interested in seeing the movie again. I'm excited to own what certainly seems like it will be one of the great releases of the year.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks