What's new

EXCLUSIVE: 1776 Audio Interview with Director Peter H. Hunt and Mini-Review of Blu-ray (1 Viewer)

JohnMor

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Moreland
Mark-P said:
I'm not sure why people keep referring to the 165 minute cut as the "theatrical version". The film was cut to 141 minutes before it was ever released making that the official theatrical version. I doubt anyone seriously laments that version from being included on this release.

Hunt explains why in the interview above. The Extended Home Video version exists only on the blu-ray. The Theatrical version is essentially the dvd cut, which is what is now available in the DCP packages for theatrical exhibition. It's not referring to what was released theatrically in 1972.

Moe Dickstein

Filmmaker
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
T R Wilkinson
John, sort of. Originally Cool Men was only found in B&W. It was obviously at the last minute replaced with a color version.

Joe Lugoff

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joe
Could someone state explicitly what's on this? I'm so confused I can't think straight.

As of this minute, I'm thinking this contains what was on the DVD, which is basically an extended version of the theatrical release, but with seamless branching it can be viewed in a longer version which is similar to, but not exactly the same as, the laserdisc release. Is that correct?

Moe Dickstein

Filmmaker
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
T R Wilkinson
The extended BD version is everything from the laser except:

Paine quote, lamplighter, lyman hall walks into congress.

85 seconds shorter.

Branching is to the slightly shorter restored directors cut for theatrical exhibition, which further trims the Lees reprise and the extra parts of Piddle Twiddle.

Other things have been added to what was on the DVD cut, so both versions are longer than that version.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Moe Dickstein said:

Also missing is Jefferson looking into the courtyard at the smiling little girl.

Joe Lugoff

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joe
Moe Dickstein said:

85 seconds shorter.

Branching is to the slightly shorter restored directors cut for theatrical exhibition, which further trims the Lees reprise and the extra parts of Piddle Twiddle.

Other things have been added to what was on the DVD cut, so both versions are longer than that version.

Well, I must say this only confuses me even more. I give up!

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Don't give up, Joe.

It's a longer cut than what was on the DVD. It is nearly the same cut as what was on the laserdisc (but shorter by just 85-seconds).

The scenes--as mentioned just above--are those which were on the laser version, but are not on the Blu release (hence, the 85-second difference).

But there is also a 2nd cut on the Blu. It is a new theatrical version (which actually differs somewhat from the actual 1972 theatrical version) But it is being called the theatrical version because prints are actually being struck and will be available for viewing in theaters. It adds some of the material that will be found on the extended version...but not all of it.

It's a little confusing, for sure. But I hoped I have helped. If not, feel free to ask specific questions for further clarification. :thumbsup:

David Weicker

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
Good God. How long is this piddling to go on? We have endured, by my count, seven separate versions* and the removal of close to 85 seconds. Would you whip it and beat it till you break its spirit? I tell you, this film is a masterful expression of the American mind!

*(PH originally filmed, PH original edit, JW Original Theatrical cut, LD version, DVD "director's cut", new Theatrical cut, new Extended cut)

Charles Smith

Extremely Talented Member
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Charles Smith
Too much Fiddle Faddle, and you'll be making more trips to the Necessary than is seemly.

Joe Lugoff

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joe
Mike Frezon said:
Don't give up, Joe.

It's a longer cut than what was on the DVD. It is nearly the same cut as what was on the laserdisc (but shorter by just 85-seconds).

The scenes--as mentioned just above--are those which were on the laser version, but are not on the Blu release (hence, the 85-second difference).

But there is also a 2nd cut on the Blu. It is a new theatrical version (which actually differs somewhat from the actual 1972 theatrical version) But it is being called the theatrical version because prints are actually being struck and will be available for viewing in theaters. It adds some of the material that will be found on the extended version...but not all of it.

It's a little confusing, for sure. But I hoped I have helped. If not, feel free to ask specific questions for further clarification. :thumbsup:

OK, I think I'm getting there. What threw me was the reference to branching to a "slightly shorter" version.

Let me see if I have this. The new version is longer than the DVD but 85 seconds shorter than the laserdisc. It also contains some things not on the laserdisc.

However, there is a so-called theatrical version, which is shorter, because it's missing some of Piddle Twiddle and the Lees reprise. (This raises the question of who needs this shorter version, but I won't ask it.)

Why has this particular movie been subjected to all this nonsense in the past 43 years? It seems to boil down to what the director wants to be "officially" in it, but I don't really subscribe to the auteur theory of film. Don't the producer, writer and songwriter (whose idea 1776 was in the first place) have anything to say about what should be in a movie that they all created together? Of course, since they're all dead now, I guess not.

JohnMor

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Moreland
Joe Lugoff said:
Why has this particular movie been subjected to all this nonsense in the past 43 years? It seems to boil down to what the director wants to be "officially" in it, but I don't really subscribe to the auteur theory of film. Don't the producer, writer and songwriter (whose idea 1776 was in the first place) have anything to say about what should be in a movie that they all created together? Of course, since they're all dead now, I guess not.

Well, of course the producer (Jack Warner) HAD his cut when it was originally released. That's why this all started. Writers hardly ever have a say. One of the few exceptions I can think of was when Friedkin redid The Exorcist ("The Version You've Never Seen") to please his friend William Peter Blatty by putting in the scenes and especially the ending Blatty had always wanted. And songwriters have NEVER had a say, save for Rodgers and Hammerstein who produced their own films. I'm not so sure they should. Jule Styne hated the rendition of "My Man" that ended the film version of Funny Girl because it wasn't original to the piece and he thought the arrangement was too "60's Vegas" for a scene set in the 20's. Yet most people would say that's a highlight (if not the highlight) of the film. But why stop there? Why not let the actors pick the scenes and shots they each feel they're best in?

While I don't think the auteur theory is always best, I do think you need a final boss, one final arbiter so to speak. Either the producer or the director. And I tend to side with the director more often, since they tend to be artists while the producers tend to be businessmen.

Joe Lugoff

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joe
You make a very good case, but the reason I dislike the auteur theory is because of what started it, i.e., the argument that films can't be art because they're not created by one artist (as novels, paintings, symphonies, etc. usually are) but are done by committee, so to speak. Unfortunately, that's true, and there's nothing anyone can do about it, but in a desperate attempt to maintain the idea that they were intellectuals who studied and wrote on "art," a bunch of French critics concocted the "auteur theory."

A small percentage of movies over the years can qualify as art, but most of them are basically commerical products put together by a large team of workers. The greatest thing about 1776 isn't the direction (although it's good) or the songs, but the screenplay (and original play) by Peter Stone. When it comes to what should be in 1776 or left out, I'd rather go with what the Peter named Stone thought, more than the one named Hunt.

Directors start with a screenplay; writers start with blank paper (or a blank computer screen.) I'm more impressed with what the writers accomplish. They're literally the "auteurs," which is only the French word for author, after all.

JohnMor

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Moreland
I agree it all starts with the script. But the fact is writers in Hollywood are hardly ever valued properly. On Broadway, not a word can be changed without the writer's approval; that respect has never been officially part of the film business.

Moe Dickstein

Filmmaker
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
T R Wilkinson
Mike Frezon said:
Don't give up, Joe.

No prints, just 4k DCP

Shorter version exists to be kind to people's bladders in a theater where you don't have a pause button. Shorter version is what screens in theaters as the DCP and is the official Director's cut. It also has a small difference so it's worth checking out and not only watching the longer version

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
annefnlys01
Recent bookmarks